These quotes have helped me through some seriously difficult times.
It’s amazing how a few words can suddenly make everything snap into place with that feeling of, Yes, that’s exactly it. That’s it! Why didn’t I see that?
My collection of quotes has proven especially valuable during times of relationship turmoil. They’ve helped me get through breakups, see my true value, and come to a deeper understanding of what I truly want.
Sometimes you don’t need a long, drawn-out explanation; you need an instant shot of clarity. To help you get that, I’ve rounded up some of my all-time favorite quotes pertaining to matters of the heart. I hope they bring you as much clarity and joy as they’ve brought me.
1. “Immature love says: ‘I love you because I need you.’ Mature love says: ‘I need you because I love you.'” ~ Erich Fromm
2. “Unless it’s mad, passionate, extraordinary love, it’s a waste of your time. There are too many mediocre things in life—love shouldn’t be one of them.” ~ Dreams for an Insomniac
3. “Before you fall in love, make sure there is someone there to catch you.” ~ Anon
4. “We always believe our first love is our last, and our last love our first.” ~ George John Whyte-Melville
5. “The magic of first love is our ignorance that it can never end.” ~ Benjamin Disraeli
6. “A man is never worth your tears. And the one who is won’t make you cry.” ~ Unknown
7. “Relationships are like glass. Sometimes it’s better to leave them broken than try to hurt yourself putting it back together.” ~ Unknown
8. “Love can sometimes be magic. But magic can sometimes…just be an illusion.” ~ Javan
9. “Love will make you forget time, and time will make you forget love.” ~ Unknown
10. “You cannot make someone love you. You can only make yourself someone who can be loved.” ~ Derek Gamba
11. “The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” ~ Victor Hugo
12. “Nothing spoils the taste of peanut butter like unrequited love.” ~ Charlie Brown
13. “Do not be sad for being without someone who is happy being without you; it is not fair, is it?” ~ Philippos
14. “Hearts will never be practical until they are made unbreakable.” ~ Wizard of Oz
15. “Trying to forget someone you love is like trying to remember someone you never met.” ~ Unknown
16. “Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option.” ~ Mark Twain
17. “When you meet that special someone you’ll understand why it didn’t work out with anyone else.” ~ Unknown
18. “Sometimes, you don’t realize how much you care for someone, until they stop caring for you.” ~ Anon