As a Certified Holistic Nutritionist, busy toddler mom, and self-proclaimed gut-health geek, I am always looking for quick ways to support a diverse gut microbiome with food.
Gut health plays a vital role in mental health, immune system function, and more. Ask any mom out there, we need our sanity and immune systems to be in tip-top shape in order to keep up with the demands of everyday life.
But we are so busy, how can we keep up?
We make our food work for us and let the magic happen overnight while we get our beauty rest. Queue the recipe!
The Magic of Overnight Oats
These overnight oats pack all the flavor of homemade apple pie, but without the baking. This is my favorite breakfast for a powerful 1-2-3 prebiotic punch with oatmeal, apples, and flaxseed to support gut health. Plus, add walnuts for a dose of brain-boosting healthy fats.
>> 1 green apple, chopped
>> 1 cup water
>> 1/8 tsp apple pie spice
>> pat of unsalted butter
>> 1 packet of quick-cooking oats
>> 2/3 cup of milk (my faves are oat or soy)
>> 1 tsp ground flaxseed
>> 1 tbsp almond butter
>> handful chopped walnuts
>> freshly chopped apple
>> drizzle of maple syrup (optional)
>> knife and cutting board
>> sauté pan
>> glass jar with lid
1. Sauté chopped apples in water until they’re soft and the water is almost fully evaporated. Add in apple pie spice and finish with butter. Turn off the heat.
2. In a glass container with a lid, add milk and oats. Stir until combined.
3. Top with the warm spiced apple mixture, cover, and let it sit overnight in the fridge.
4. In the morning, sprinkle ground flaxseed and add almond butter on top. Pile on more freshly chopped apple and walnuts. Option to sweeten with maple syrup.
5. Stir and enjoy! And don’t forget to leave a comment here on how yours turned out!
Read 4 comments and reply