ele favorite: eco cool (hot) coffee mug (cup).

Via on Jul 20, 2008

we-are-happy-to-serve-you-coffee-mug-10-16-2006.jpg

It’s not a use-once-then-throw-away paper cup; it just looks it. It’s ceramic. Riffing on New York City’s ubiquitous, famous paper cups, it’s Graham Hill‘s stylee, deliberate comment on our throwaway culture. I want to get it…only I already have enough mugs…and consumption, even green consumption, isn’t actually green unless you need it and are buying green instead of buying not green. Got it?

Green Consumption in order of Greenness:

1. Don’t buy anything at all, fix or make do with what you have.

2. Buy re-used off craigslist, yard sale.

3. Buy new eco-responsible product.

4. Buy new non-eco product from local independent store.

5. Buy new eco-responsible product from big box chain store.

6. Drive SUV to big box chain outlet, buy non-eco products you don’t need; throw them away two weeks later (this is, frighteningly, pretty typical behavior).

From another blog, which did a more detailed write-up of the above: “The world’s most famous paper cup, the “We Are Happy To Serve You” cup, has now turned ceramic & reusable.

This famous Greek paper cup has been around the block since 1963 & over 180,000,000 cups per year are used in New York restaurants & delis.  For just $10 you can bring this infamous mug home to enjoy many a cups of coffee…”

About Waylon Lewis

9 Responses to “ele favorite: eco cool (hot) coffee mug (cup).”

1. Todd says:

That thing is pretty freaking sweet. Like you, I have way too many coffee mugs, but then again, I know plenty of people who don’t and who have birthdays! :)

2. na says:

number 1… make do with what you have… i like it.

3. Heather says:

Love the #1-6. It’s a much-needed reminder, that buying lots of green stuff to fill that gaping, guilty hole doesn’t actually do the environment any good.

I love re-using old stuff, especially clothing. Taking the time to make something one-of-a-kind makes my life seem more interesting…funny how the same old, same old does that when I actually pay attention to it.

4. Lindsey Wolf lindsey says:

Yes the ceramic version of this cup is quite cool and I have seen them at stores here in New York, and had no idea that Graham Hill was behind them! I always thought that they were so clever. And as someone living in the city and about to move, I do want to buy one now to take with me to remind me of my time living in NYC! So Waylon, how about having a tea out of the cup at a friend’s?! Which leads me to what I’d call 1a. (Love the #1-6 too) Let’s add, borrowing and sharing! It’s especially easy for things we don’t use often. And, it’s a good way to get to know your neighbors and re-gain that sense of community that I sometimes feel we’re losing.

5. Greg says:

The million dollar question: Does Whole Foods count as a big box chain store?

6. xiu xiu says:

my friend has that cup, ha ha. and i’m just lovin the idea about not buying anything at all. these guys FREEGANS, that’s what they do – find perfectly fine food in trash bins, don’t use money in any way, never buy anything… but who could do that?

7. [...] With thanks to Kelly Mikler of Sole Technology for the tip (Kelly was, in turn, inspired to mention the I Am Not A Paper Cup by Graham Hill of Treehugger’s rival eco-arch mug, the famous We Are Happy to Serve You).  [...]

8. elephant journal admin says:

Rob Fitzgerald at 4:47pm January 13
    i would consider these for the roma – a cool offering! but i don’t know if it’s practical w/o a lid and without being closer to 16oz, which is our most common drink order size. do you have a favorite to go cup?

Simran Preeti Sethi at 5:34pm January 13
    No lids with Graham’s cup. This one is also cool, has a lid and is 16 oz. BUT you still have to be mindful when carrying. Consider it like a paper cup with a lid, while Graham’s is like a smaller paper cup w/o a lid. Both fab!

9. Mark says:

All else being equal, I definitely go local. But "all else" is rarely equal. So I'm often stuck wondering how to weight locally made vs. some other environmental concern.