Our Spicy Eco Chai Buddy: Brook Eddy’s Bhakti Chai is a Hit.

Via on Aug 6, 2008

“Bhakti” is Sanskrit for “devotion,” never a luke-warm feeling. So it’s fitting that Brook Eddy’s Bhakti Chai comes from the Masala lineage, which means it’s full of fiery spices (ginger, cardomom, clove and black pepper) along with the traditional milky sweetness. The company itself is devoted to low environmental impact, brewing organic, fair-trade black tea from India and packaging everything in glass containers (which means they’re re-usable and easily recyclable, and won’t add to the island of plastic currently floating in the Pacific Ocean). Find a café or store that carries Bhakti near you, sit back, and drink up (slowly at first, so the spices don’t singe your tongue).

About Merete Mueller

Merete is a writer and filmmaker, and was once-upon-a-time the Managing Editor of elephant journal's print incarnation, from 2006-2008. Today, you can find her on Twitter @meretemueller and on her blog To The Bones. Her first documentary, "TINY: A Story About Living Small", about people who have downsized their lives into homes the size of a parking space, premiered at SXSW in March 2013.

If you liked this, you might like these:

23 Responses to “Our Spicy Eco Chai Buddy: Brook Eddy’s Bhakti Chai is a Hit.”

1. Heather says:

The lovely, historic, cozy Trident Cafe ( http://www.tridentcafe.com ) is now carrying Bhakti chai…the only problem is that nobody knows they have it, so nobody is ordering it. So, next time you’re at Trident, ask for a Bhakti and experience the spicy heaven that is masala chai, and keep Trident selling Bhakti!

2. Evan says:

I love that stuff. I get it at Michaelangelo's in Denver. It's neat they are fair trade and all that, but it just tastes so damn good!

3. Sara Osmer says:

Bhakti Chai is an anomaly.
    Forget Starbucks, Seattle's Best, and Caribou.

It is not yet carried in NYC, but will be.

4. carolina says:

there’s no denying, Bhakti is the very best chai around, in this country anyway.

i’ve seen the fresh pressed ginger brook uses, wow it’s fabulous.

thanks for helping get the word out—my current effort is trying to get Bookends to start carrying it (theirs sucks).

5. John T. says:

Does Bhakti have signs or cool posters that coffee shops could hang up somewhere so people know they stock the magic tea? Even a well-designed, eye-catching sticker on the front door would be good….

6. Lev Marcos says:

Hey people, this is not hype–Bhakti really is that good. As you would with a hot new band, tell your friends and watch your popularity and sipping street cred soar.

7. Morgan O says:

This is one product certainly worthy of all the attention it is receiving. People in Nederland are switching from coffee to a healthy chai addiction, expanding thier tastes and preferences and adding something a little exotic to their diets. I’m hooked too! Another great product for the Boulder area.

8. Eydie Cady says:

I tried Bhakti Chai 9 months ago and now it is the only thing I drink! No more coffee and definitely no other brands of Chai! I LOVE BHAKTI CHAI! The ground up spices are absolutely delicious! It is carried at all of the local coffee shops in Boulder, try it!! It is the best Chai out there!

9. G-dog says:

I tried this stuff a couple of months ago and it is da bomb! I’ve only tried it with regular milk, but I’m wondering what other things people have added to it?

10. Beau Hagberry says:

Oh my goodness, when is Bhakti Chai going to be in New York City? Do tell! What a great idea!

I like my chai with silk soy milk… It’s great with whole milk too, but my favaorite mixture is a dash of the Bhakti concentrate with esspreso vodka over ice.

11. tommy says:

Def my favorite beverage as well, keep up the dedication to your work Brook!

12. jen-ai says:

Bhakti is absolutely the best chai a person stateside can buy. And all the love that goes into the small batch brewing makes it so much more tasty than its cardboard infused counter parts. I love mine with a rice/soy blend a la Morgan or whole moo milk too.

13. jen ai says:

Bhakti is absolutely the best chai a person stateside can buy. All the love that goes into the small batch brewing makes it wholly holy good. I love mine with a rice/soy blend a la Morgan or whole moo milk too.

14. kialah says:

GO BHAKTI, IT’S YOUR BIRTHDAY… NOT A HOLIDAY…BUT A SPECIAL DAY…!

Chai Not?

15. kialah says:

GO BHAKTI…It’s your birthday…not a holiday… but a specail day…!

ORDER ONE TODAY,

CHAI NOT?

16. Johnny says:

NEW YORK NEEDS BHAKTI!! (and more luv)

17. Beau says:

I’ll bring the Bhakti, you spread the love, and we’ll all meet up in New York!!

18. Heather says:

I love Bhakti too! But why is it so much more expensive than the other chai brands in town? It hurts my spicy chai loving wallet.

19. Ali says:

I’ll only go to coffee shops that sell this stuff. it is the nectar of the goddess. and I *love* the reusable glass jars on the 32oz-ers.

20. Lindsey says:

Beside the delicious taste, you don’t have to feel guilty for drinking it in excess! With such great ingredients and spices, it can help out you entire body… check it out (http://www.bhaktichai.com/pages/ingredients1.html)

21. Suzanne Lainson says:

I had a free sample at Whole Foods and was immediately hooked. It’s great stuff if you like very spicy tea.

22. [...] Chai, as we know it, is dessert. Loaded with sugar, skimpy on the spice, it ain’t everything nice. But this stuff’s the real thing: strong, sensual, wakeful. And best of all, proceeds from every sip go to the Reciprocity Foundation—a nonprofit that enables artistic, homeless youth to design a better future for themselves. [...]

23. [...]  Soy burgers, tofurkey, soy milk, soy candles for friggin’ sake.  You can’t shake a Bhakti Chai without hitting a soy product these days, and that wouldn’t be such a bad thing if everybody [...]