“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” ~Greek Proverb
Enron, Halliburton, Worldcom and SUV-spewing car manufacturers aren’t the whole story. Plenty of corporate and cultural leaders are making a difference.
1. Leaders on a Mission: At July’s Colorado’s Snowmass Wellness Festival, Deepak Chopra announced that the new Affinity for the New Humanity will work to galvanize influential industry leaders, rock stars and citizens around the world to spread peace ‘like a fungus.’ Execs at Coca-Cola have already come on board to package, market and sell peace as effectively as their ubiquitous soft drink.
2. Nike: All our bitching and moaning about Nike underpaying their workers may have paid off. For Nike is now one of the top corporations when it comes to social and environmental responsibility, removing toxic substances including PVC from their approved material list, and keeping old shoes out of the landfill by converting them into athletic fields.
3. Whole Foods: As a pioneer of conscious consumerism, Whole Foods has been giving back to its communities for years. But this past January they surpassed all expectations when they raised more than $550K (in one day of sales!) for the new Animal Compassion Foundation.
4. Leveraging Fame for Good: He may not be Paul Newman or Robert Redford, but Brad Pitt is doing something good with his fame. At the height of Angie/Bradgate he agreed to an interview with Diane Sawyer on one condition: that 60% of the program address AIDS in Africa. The network agreed, and 20 million viewers got their dose of Brad—and reality.
5. Walmart: this most controversial of corporate behemoths (did you know that their stores and parking lots occupy roughly 75,000 acres in the U.S.?) will soon unveil their first ‘green’ store in Dallas. They may still be selling crap, but at least they’ll be selling it in a mindful space.
6. Target: A founding member of the “Five Percent Club,” Targé gives $2 million/week to neighborhoods,
programs and schools across the country.
hot on elephant
The story behind the Elephant-headed God. 464 shares September’s Black Moon: The Rare, Powerful, Feminine Goddess Lilith. 76,936 shares Will & Grace are Back after 10 years & it’s the Funniest 10 minutes of Election Commentary Ever. 18,241 shares October Energy Forecast: Prepare for Limitless, Unconditional Love. 7,969 shares The Fourth Kind of Love. 2,838 shares How Open-Hearted Men can Show Up for Strong, Independent Women. 3,718 shares What Teens need from their Parents. (Hint: It’s not Grounding & Punishment.) 2,077 shares I am Who I am Thanks to You—The 5 Most Important People we Meet in Life. 2,146 shares 10 Good Reasons Not to Contact your Ex. 974 shares Nine Reasons to Love a Libra & One Secret they Keep. 1,680 share