Soex, German Textile Recycling Co, Opens Facility in L.A.

Via on Aug 22, 2008

Soex, one of the few large scale textile recycling companies in the world, recently opened a plant in Los Angeles as part of its U.S. pilot program. City estimates account fabric remnants and used clothing to take up a full 10% of area landfills. Soex’s process, which is done without chemicals or water, includes putting clothing through machinery which turns it into products such as automobile insulation or underlay for carpets. This sounds like an incredible process to bring to the U.S., where clothing is so disposable. I’m looking straight at my own involvement in the root of this problem as I prepare to move and see that I own an embarrassingly large amount of clothes. Some will go to my favorite secondhand store in all of NYC, Beacon’s Closet, and others will be donated. I found this story a good reminder however that everything that gets donated doesn’t get used. Hopefully with innovative processes of companies like Soex, and growing awareness that quality, not quantity is best with clothing, we’ll start making a reduction in this area of the waste stream.

For the full article on Soex (thanks to a friend who works in fashion that sent it, who else reads Apparelnews.net?!) click here.

About Lindsey Wolf

Like this article? Leave a tip!

(We use PayPal but you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

12 Responses to “Soex, German Textile Recycling Co, Opens Facility in L.A.”

1. karen muchina says:

WUD LIKE MORE INFORMATION ON HOW TO PLACE ORDERS FOR SECOND HAND CLOTHES/SHOES, ETC FOR WHOLESALE IN NAIROBI. KENYA. Thanks!

• Devinder Kumar says:

Dear Sirs,
      We introduce ourselves one of the leading Agents in Northern India based at New Delhi with our offices at Ludhiana and Panipat (both big hosiery/textile production centres in our country dealing in all types of textile fibres, sub standard fibres, wastes, yarns and used clothings for recycling. We are in this line of business for the past more 40 years having very close connections with the trade circle and are representing suppliers and exporters from many countries.

We shall be too pleased to develop business relations with your company for selling used clothings suitable for recycling in Indian market on commission agency basis.

Can you offer us the following on commission basis ?
      ORIGINAL WOOLLEN RAGS. (UNI AND FANCY)
      ORIGINAL WOOL SWEATERS. (C.A.W)
      ORIGINAL ACRYLIC SWEATERS (UNI AND FANCY)

Thanks and regards,

Devinder Kumar
      Wooltex International
      A-150, Shivalik,
      New Delhi
      India

2. Mohammad Sharif says:

I want to import second hand cloths and shoes for wholesale to karachi pakitsan i want ur products price list .
    Mohammad sharif
    reyaankhan1@yahoo.com

3. David Gitogo says:

I am interested in importing secondhand clothes and shoes from you for the market in Kenya. I would appreciate if you could send me a price list for your products. Thank you.

4. [...] Menger and Robert L. Mann, artists out of Los Angeles, have done the impossible: given ele a hip, happening cover, influenced equally by the confident, [...]

5. Anwer Hussain Essani says:

Wir sind im Import von Secondhand-Kleidung interessiert:
    100% Baumwolle Bettwäsche, T-Shirts (kurzgeschlossen / un-kurzgeschlossen

6. I am interested in importing secondhand clothes and shoes from you for the market in congo. I would appreciate if you could send me a price list for your products. Thank you.

7. Stacie Kekua says:

I’d must check with you here. Which isn’t one thing I usually do! I take pleasure in studying a submit that may make folks think. Additionally, thanks for allowing me to comment!

8. Dear Sir,
    Please we are looking for used second hand clothes and shoes suppliers from German, italy; holland for fruitful business transaction. Kindly contact us and will be settling your bills promptly once shipment is made.
    Frank kalu orji,
    Ets Fam Cameroun,
    B p 18235 Douala cameroun,
    tel 0023775654620

9. atmeh says:

atmeh textilien shoes export wuppertal
    wir sind intriesirt für ihre alt shue
    atmeh@hotmail.de