For source of the above photo, click on it.
With thanks to the Bronx Messiah, Ed Shapiro, the biggest funniest loudest and somehow wisest man I know, for the indirect tip via his and his lovely wife Deb’s latest LIVING article for the Huffington Post, What the Buddha Might Say to John McCain.
“In the Jataka, the Buddha had given to rules for Good Government, known as ‘Dasa Raja Dharma’. These ten rules can be applied even today by any government which wishes to rule the country peacefully. The rules are as follows:
1) be liberal and avoid selfishness,
2) maintain a high moral character,
3) be prepared to sacrifice one’s own pleasure for the well-being of the subjects,
4) be honest and maintain absolute integrity,
5) be kind and gentle,
6) lead a simple life for the subjects to emulate,
7) be free from hatred of any kind,
8) exercise non-violence,
9) practise patience, and
10) respect public opinion to promote peace and harmony.
Regarding the behavior of rulers, He further advised:
– A good ruler should act impartially and should not be biased and discriminate between one particular group of subjects against another.
– A good ruler should not harbor any form of hatred against any of his subjects.
– A good ruler should show no fear whatsoever in the enforcement of the law, if it is justifiable.
– A good ruler must possess a clear understanding of the law to be enforced. It should not be enforced just because the ruler has the authority to enforce the law. It must be done in a reasonable manner and with common sense. ~ Cakkavatti Sihananda Sutta”
hot on elephant
The story behind the Elephant-headed God. 438 shares September’s Black Moon: The Rare, Powerful, Feminine Goddess Lilith. 61,336 shares Will & Grace are Back after 10 years & it’s the Funniest 10 minutes of Election Commentary Ever. 16,600 shares October Energy Forecast: Prepare for Limitless, Unconditional Love. 7,665 shares The Fourth Kind of Love. 2,584 shares How Open-Hearted Men can Show Up for Strong, Independent Women. 3,596 shares What Teens need from their Parents. (Hint: It’s not Grounding & Punishment.) 2,035 shares I am Who I am Thanks to You—The 5 Most Important People we Meet in Life. 2,079 shares 10 Good Reasons Not to Contact your Ex. 871 shares Stop Euthanizing Pets. 1,145 share