Yo(ga), it’s MC Yogi rappin’ on Barack Obama in 08. Vote 4 Hope!

Via on Oct 9, 2008

Hahahahahahahah: one of the hippest, best, funnest, truest videos I’ve seen in a long time. Long time: Change begins when we believe/ in a brighter day/ a better way to succeed…that’s why I’m calling to this nation this generation…video (spread the good word to the people, email this on!):::

Info: White Swan Records presents MC Yogi’s new release…Elephant Power!

Listen

What happens when you combine yoga with hip hop?  In the hands of recording artist MC Yogi, you get a first-of-its kind new record mixing the energy, beats and vocal stylings of rap music with traditional Indian instruments, kirtan-style chanting and yoga-inspired lyrics. With 14 original tracks celebrating Indian mythology and spirituality, MC Yogi’s genre-bending debut, Elephant Power, offers a devotional hip hop experience.

Produced by Sean Dinsmore and the
Bhakti Brothers (Robin Livingston, & MC Yogi), Elephant Power features an all star cast including Krishna Das, Bhagavan Das, Jai Uttal and Sharon Gannon. Standout tracks include the upbeat anthems “Ganesh Is Fresh” and “Rock On Hanuman”. “Be the Change” updates the inspiring tale of Mahatma Gandhi, and reminds of the power one person has to change in the world.

By merging the myths and teachings of yoga with his love for hip hop music, MC Yogi brings us a modern incarnation of an ancient wisdom tradition. Experience Yoga Hip Hop, an Elephant Powered explosion of devotion!

“MC Yogi channels the ancient devotional spirit of India in a completely original way with love, respect, humor and joy.”–Krishna Das
Buy Now

With the 2008 presidential election, Americans face a pivotal choice between not just two candidates, but two paradigms. We need someone who understands the complexity of our time. Someone who believes in investing in renewable energy, in education, in women’s rights, in civil rights, in healthcare for Americans. Someone who believes in dealing with global issues with diplomacy so we can restore our respect in the world. Barack Obama represents the change we need and can lead us into a brighter future.Vote For Hope was written to encourage and inspire the hip hop generation—and everyone—to get involved, and contribute their time, energy, creativity, and other resources to be the change they want to see in the world. We have been inspired by the artistic and musical contributions that have been pouring out accross the nation in support of Barack Obama’s campaign. Vote for Hope is our offering to this creative movement. It is our way of adding our small voice to the collective voice of millions of Americans calling for a change.

To see what we mean check out this great speech from a worthy leader:

Make sure to Vote on November 4th!
Here is where you can register: VoteforChange.com

“Vote for Hope” was written by M.C. Yogi and produced by Robin Livingston. The “Vote for Hope” video was created at Ursa Minor Arts and Media in San Rafael, CA with chief animator James Curtis, using designs and direction from M.C. Yogi. Video funded and supported by grassroots donations.

About Waylon Lewis

Like this article? Leave a tip!

(We use PayPal but you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

10 Responses to “Yo(ga), it’s MC Yogi rappin’ on Barack Obama in 08. Vote 4 Hope!”

1. jc says:

I like MCs and I like Yogis, but I’m pretty hesitant of someone named MC Yogi. I like this song, and it should be played in high school parking lots everywhere. And other places too. Good to see you yesterday Way. Good luck with the next chapter.

2. soothyoudontsay says:

the message of this song contradicts itself. if you truly believe in “interconnectedness” you would turn to yourself to find leadership, not to someone outside of yourself, not to an icon. idolizing an icon is just as wrong as burning george bush in effigy. they’re two sides of the same coin. there is no hope in hope, folks. hope is an illusion based on projections into the future. there is only the here and now. dig deep into that. engage yourselves in the present. barack obama cannot save you.

3. admin says:

Soothyoudontsay,

Great point, particularly on “HOPE,” which in the Buddhist tradition is considered the co-dependent partner to “FEAR.” No hope, no fear!

That said, there’s nothing wrong with supporting Obama (or McCain) with all you got if you have self-respect…if it’s non-theistic. Obama may not be able to “save” us, but that doesn’t mean, practically-speaking, that we don’t need a leader.

Write something for us, if so inspired email editorial@elephantjournal.com

4. John says:

As an old school hip-hop head I must say I find his style pretty wack, but that’s just my opinion and it’s just apples and oranges. I’d be willing to give him a chance and listen to more, especially since I’m a big fan of his collaborators.

This video does cause me to take pause for a moment. True, Obama has inspired something in me, and many other people who before now were hopelessly jaded with politics. There is something in his “way” that makes me believe that maybe he is genuine. But I’ve also never seen a politician in my life that didn’t lie repeatedly and break many if not most of their promises. Something disturbs me about everyone’s willingness to make Obama into our savior. Are we transferring our own responsibility to him? Are we hoping he personally will turn everything around? Highly unlikely. The other possibility is that none of us are willing to admit that the situation is so very dire that it doesn’t take much to give us some optimism (much better word than “hope,” IMHO). In that case it is a very good thing that Obama has come into the spotlight. The danger I see lies in us forgetting that we are collectively in BIG trouble, whether of not Obama wins, and that we all need to bust our ass like never before if we hope to survive.

5. ha, that’s crazy it’s out allready .. i was hanging out at ursa minor studio and since i had m camera rig there i ended up doing some of the video production for the shoot.. i’m so stoked at how nice it came out!!!

6. admin says:

Great comment, John. Love it. The only thing I’d add, which it seems you’re saying for the most part, is that Obama isn’t at fault for our adulation/theism. He’s repeatedly cut others attempt to deify him, saying ‘I’m a Rorschach, folks put all their hopes and frustrations onto me,” something along those lines. That’s why he talks to much about a movement–that there is a real hunger for change, hope…and that he is simply the one stepping forward saying ‘let’s make it happen.’ He’s far from perfect—and, thus far, far better than I’ve seen among any politician.

Amid all the sound and fury, sometimes it’s helpful to go back and watch video of his speeches or just walking around meeting people…like the ‘Race Speech.’ And when you watch the man, you do get a sense that he’s ready.

7. [...] alone, this has gotta be the coolest video I’ve seen since…well, yesterday. [...]

8. Una says:

great video. inspiring. artistic. playful.

9. John says:

As time progresses what was for me a good feeling about Obama is becoming a great one. But I can’t really feel good until I see him deliver his Inaugural Address. I’ll admit I’m a bit afraid that the unthinkable will happen… Let’s all keep working hard ’til election day, and do any practices within our belief systems/faiths/religions to channel all the energy we can toward the best outcome, which is that our 44th President will be Barack Hussein Obama.

10. Roxie Dunbar says:

i think that this video should become a commercial. It has a great message that i think everyone needs to hear. Its absolutely phenomenal and it makes me wish i could vote in this election even more. KUDOS to the producer of this video: Robin Livingston. He, as well as M.C Yogi did an AMAZING job on this. I love it!