Via on Jan 16, 2009

elsie the cow

by Sarah Janelle Miller

Last week I struck gold. Local, white, liquid gold that is. After visiting RealMilk.com, I found a farm near my home that offers fresh, local, raw milk goodness.

Pamona Farm is neat and green and is the home to many lovely animal friends- sheep, goats, ducks, turkeys, chickens and two Jersey cows, Elsie and Gertrude. Gertrude is the newest addition (gifted to the farm by an elderly farmer who was thinning his herd.)

The lovely pair of Jersey’s ambled up to me, quickly noshed the fresh carrots I’d brought, and then proceeded to lick my hands and arms profusely in thanks. They live out their lives eating fresh, green shoots (organically fertilized by the ducks and chickens) as well as carrots, some hay and often a bit of grain depending on the season. There are no plans to increase the herd, or their milk supply (Gertie was not a planned addition.) There is also no desire to profit from the animals. With only Irena and Bob at the farm, “the girls” often give more milk than they can drink, so it is sold locally to those who will enjoy it.

The milk at Pamona is untreated (no growth hormones like Monsanto’s demon, rBGH) and the milk is decidedly raw.  The “girls” are loved as friends, not used for profiteering and are free to graze day in and out.

Clearly this is an ideal situation.

Raw milk is not pasteurized (or ultra-pasteurized) nor is it homogenized. This is the best milk for health and vitality and promotes the good qualities milk is known for. Raw milk has more vitamins and minerals, as well as “life force.” Pasteurized milk is considered “poison for the body” by many and hard to digest- perpetuating such issues as phlegm, allergies and dairy intolerance- even cancer.

[Side note: According to my beloved Vaidya Rama Kant Mishra, the Charak Samhita suggests drinking milk from black cows who live near forests if you have low levels of vitamin D. Black cows would naturally be soaking up more sun rays and will likely offer more of this essential vitamin in their milk.]

The health benefits of raw milk are obvious. Unfortunately, half of the states in our country consider it to be hazardous and only fit for animal consumption. Currently, Colorado is still one of those states. Unless you are part of a cowshare program, legally, no raw milk products can be sold. If you go to a farm to pick up your white gold, you can avoid some of these technicalities.

Legalities and obvious factory farming practices aside (organic included), the milk you buy at the store is likely not local. RawMilk.com is an excellent resource for locating an ideal milk source as well as the possibility of attaining some new cow friends.

panir

Once you get your milk home, you’ll want to experiment with making fresh yogurt and butter or ghee (if you get enough cream.) Panir, or farm cheese, is by far my favorite milk-derived edible. Panir can be crumbled ontop of any dish and is an excellent source of protein.

Simple Panir

4 cups of raw milk

Juice of 1 lime or lemon (or 1/2 cup yogurt)

A strainer

A bit o’ cheese cloth or light towel

Bring your milk to a soft boil in a stainless steel pan. Quickly remove from heat and allow the milk to rest for a few minutes. Starting with half of your lime or lemon juice, pour it into the milk and give it a swift stir with a clean spoon. Wait a few minutes and if you don’t see the milk solids separating, add more juice, stir and wait for the curds to separate. When the whey is noticeably present (clear liquid), and the cheese curds have taken shape, place your cheese cloth, or towel, in your strainer and pour curds and whey into the towel. Let all the whey run through and then twist the cheese cloth and squeeze remaining liquid out. What’s left is pure milk curd, or Panir!

Bon Appetit!

About Saraswati J.

Saraswati J. is a Jyotish Coach and Consultant, bridging ancient wisdom with a Body-centered approach to Expressive Art Therapy. Her Jyotish work is especially well suited to the extra sensitive artists, mystics and healers---and those looking for insights for their dharmic path. Check out her website and find her on Facebook. Additionally, she creates unique adornments with the urban goddess in mind. Check out her jewelry at Swati Jr* Jewelry {Be A Goddess. Be Adorned.} #BeAGoddess and also on Facebook.

18 Responses to “My Milk is Illegal?! Is Yours? Finding Local, Raw Milk Sources. [Plus Easy Panir/Farm Cheese Recipe]”

1. [...] panir recipe. Last week I struck gold. Local, white, liquid gold that is. After visiting RealMilk.com, I found a farm near my home that offers fresh, local, raw milk [...]

2. Ann says:

Pasteurized milk is harder to digest and not as lively as raw. It is the life quality that sustains us, be it milk, water, pure foods. If only our FDA really understood that concept.

• DrGraceG says:

They understand perfectly, but if we were healthy, who would they and their best friends in the pharmaceutical industry make their money on? Do you think they drink or take what they approve? Nahhh! They consume, what they don't want us to "have the right to" consume.

3. Trish King says:

Thanks for the informative reminder that what comes directly from nature herself is what is best! Interesting tidbit about the black cows too! Love the easy panir recipe – yum!

4. Michelle says:

Well I am interested- I don’t drink milk mainly because it seems unnatural to me- humans are the only animals that drink milk past being a baby. Is it true that raw milk does not produce the same phlegm and allergies? That’s amazing. I drink soy, almond and rice milk. What do you guys think about those choices vs raw milk?
    :) :) :)

• DrGraceG says:

Soy milk only bought in authentic asian grocery stores are good. Sorry, but I truly believe they have been making soy drinks for centuries and if you really want to taste something of a certain culture, you have to go to the source. Like Polish sausage… if you tried the real thing from a Polish deli, you would want to smack the folks who sell the crappy impostor at Hillshire Farms up the head. The REAL Polish sausage from the Polish stores is so damn good, I will never buy anything else, ever again. Just think Krakus ham is imported from Poland! Another thing I have to mention… Humans are "Man" NOT animals. If you consider your self an animal go ahead… ( I don't mean it as an insult… it's your right to feel whatever you feel you are and I say that with all due respect)… but I am not, nor were any of my ancestors an animal.

5. Erin Pillman says:

If people choose to drink animal milk, then raw organic milk is BY FAR the healthiest. The fact that it is illegal in most places is just one more example of the government not having the best interest of the people in mind. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Sarah.

6. Katja Miller says:

just like with vaccinations, the government thinks they are doing what is best for the masses, and then, the essence of natural health is lost in red tape. I’m off to rawmilk.com to check for local sources. Thanks for the info!

7. [...] posted on raw milk before. I’ve tasted it—seemed yummy, and I know it’s healthier, though probably harder to [...]

8. Joy says:

If you are interested in making your own cheese, this is a good site: http://www.cheeseforum.org

Very friendly folks there.

9. DrGraceG says:

You are wonderful for posting about Raw Delicious Milk :)
    I do think that you have not been raised on it, I hope you will forgive me when I help you by clarifying something?
    Raw milk if left out for 12 hours, uncovered (only with a cheese cloth to prevent dust and impurities from falling in)
    becomes "butter milk" you do not need to add anything acidic to make it into cheese or panir. Simply bring it to a boil and immediately turn it off. Then let it cool and sift through a cheese cloth. Squeeze firmly but not too firmly because it will come out too dry. I was raised on raw milk, so were my children, I can share some wonderful recipes as well :)
    Go to my http://rawmilkcampaign.ning.com network and I will write some stuff there, if I have enough of a demand :)
    You can share yours as well. Bring some friends too ;)

It's a really cool network, you can customize your home page, even use myspace layouts write your own blogs invite friends, upload videos and photos :) Come join us. I just started it and have a lot to do in my work, I didn't have the time to write too much but you can share your stuff on raw milk too and read a lot of good information :)

• swati jr* says:

thanks dr.graceg. no clarification is needed. panir is an ayurvedic "cheese" that is easily digested. the boiling is considered a yagya and the chemistry behind its creation, completely auspicious. even the moon is a factor in its creation. many diff. ways to make cheese. but that don't make it panir.

10. myspace is the greatest

11. bree says:

In Wisconsin it is now legal so sell raw milk, but only from one's farm directly to the buyer- so it wont be sold in stores. As much as I would love to believe there is some conspiracy behind why we cannot buy raw milk, I sincerely believe it comes down to the bacteria levels in milk. Do we over pasteurize milk? Yes, yes, yes.

I grew up on raw milk, and I think it does taste better. I am not saying that raw milk is worse for you by any means, I just don't think there is some big plot involving milk and our government, I would really hope they had more things to plot over.

12. [...] an alternative, many people are now eating raw milk, since it eliminates some of dairy’s health risks (pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, and the [...]

13. pbahd says:

I have some used cars.Such as Carmy/Focus/Civic/Corolla,and all cars price only 1000 dollar.plz visit best used cars under 1000

14. Combine the following in a screw-top jar: 1 cup of water, 1 t soap gel, 1 T aloe vera gel, 1 t vegetable oil. Shake these together. Apply to a dog that has been doused with warm water. Polish Recipes Work to a lather then rinse off. This makes enough to wash a small short-haired dog such as a fox terrier. Double the mixture for a larger dog or for a long-haired dog – or increase the amounts as needed for your dog: you will need masses for a St Bernard or Newfoundland (big and long haired.