Via on Jan 25, 2009
If you wandered into a small and frigid warehouse in Longmont, Colorado you wouldn’t expect to find a man distilling craft gin with organic botanicals. You also wouldn’t expect to hear that despite these bad economic times, the demand is high and he is moving to a bigger space. But, Roundhouse Spirits is doing exactly these things.

Roundhouse Gin was recently started by Alex Nelson, and is already turning a profit and causing people to experience a much bolder and flavorful gin than usually experienced. Roundhouse is not your typical gin. First, it’s made with all organic botanicals… including lavender, anise, and ripened Juniper berries from the high desert. It’s a bold gin, definitely not your typical clear spirit. This gin has some serious teeth to it. It’s smooth, but it has a very herbaceous flavor. Personally, I like to drink this gin straight on the rocks before a meal… kind of like a little wake up call to the taste-buds. It’s flavors are so unique, that I think I’d lose the flavor if I started mixing it in cocktails. However, if I was a mixologist and had dozens of other spirits at my disposal, I think this could really contribute to making one amazing cocktail. The Kitchen, in Boulder, CO, has already started to do this exact thing with Roundhouse Gin.

[galleria thumb_w=120 thumb_h=90 thumbnail="bottom" navigation='none' ]
In addition to gin, Roundhouse is also making a coffee liqueur called Roundhouse Corretto. They’re working with 5280 Magazine‘s pick for best cup of coffee (The Unseen Bean) and taking their locally roasted Malawi beans and distilling a truly wonderful coffee spirit. It’s not too sweet and has notes of vanilla… I really liked this when I tasted it at the distillery.
In addition to the gin being made with organic botanicals, Roundhouse Spirits is also in touch with it’s green side. The company’s entire carbon footprint is offset with carbon credits purchased through a non-profit that  supports energy conservation, renewable energy, and planting trees (to absorb all that CO2!). With the organic ingredients and green business practices,  Roundhouse Spirits is starting off with some great ideals.
So, here’s an idea… in addition to locally buying your groceries and beer, branch out and drink a local spirit! If you’re in the Mountain West, pick up some Roundhouse Gin at your liquor store and see if you can mix up the perfect cocktail to compliment it’s bold flavor. Or stop by The Kitchen in Boulder, CO, and they can do it for you!

UPDATE: I just invented a cocktail with Roundhouse Gin and Antica Formula Vermouth. The Colorado Carpano. This amazing italian vermouth really mellows out the bold Roundhouse flavor. Research is hard!

Photos / Blog by Rusty Ralston

About Rusty Ralston

Rusty Ralston is a professional photographer specializing in music, fashion, lifestyle, and travel photography. He is available for shoots anywhere, preferably sunny islands.

14 Responses to “Need Craft-Made Colorado Gin with Organic ingredients? Roundhouse Spirits to the Rescue!”

1. Mandy says:

Sounds delicious! Thanks for another great recommendation, Rusty!

2. Heather says:

Now if only I could find some local tonic and limes…..

3. TIff Gold says:

“rusty… i am in love, with gin. thanks!”

4. Mercedes says:

I’ve had this gin, it’s delicious. I liked it on the rocks.

5. Libby says:

Who knew!?! This is fabulous! Companies like this are really the ones that will be setting the new standard! I’m in for support!

and if you are not too keen on gin, it makes a great gift for those who are!

6. Drew says:

Drunk on love? No drunk on gin… loven it keep up the good work

7. Matt says:

Glad to see another local spirit in the mix behind the bar.

8. katie lambert says:

ah, if only it was sold in ohio.

9. Brandon says:

You definately have me sold! I need to figure out how to get some of that to North Carolina.

10. Jeana says:

Ooo, I can’t wait to try the gin and the coffee liqueur! I’m so excited that there are more and more organic options available these days:) Time for a cocktail party…

11. jon says:

great article, you’ve compelled me to go make a martini.

not sure i’ve ever purchased a local spirit.

12. Daniel from Ohio says:

I recently travelled to Denver and selected Roundhouse Gin as my local souvenir. I was a bit surprised when I tasted it and found an overabundance of anise. I did not notice the juniper as described above (for a big juniper hit try the Junipero from San Francisco). Perhaps this is due to this particular small batch presentation, but I found it distracting from the overall taste. I certainly cannot recommend it at this time.
    Has anyone else experienced this anise front too? Could I just have received a unique batch?
    I have another Colorado gin – Leopold’s that is just great – martini, sipping straight, all good.
    My next trip has Jackalope as the souvenir target. Comments??

13. [...] if that’s not enough, just buy some local gin (maybe Roundhouse if in CO, or Junipero in CA) and mix yourself up a little cocktail! Photo by Rusty [...]

14. [...] pretend that this culture is something that I know a whole lot about. When I used to think of craft making, I would immediately picture a kindergarten classroom and lots of happy little kids using those [...]