Want money? Word on the street is VC, Venture Capitol, has all but dried up. Well, not in Colorado—esp if your would-be company is ‘green.’ Excerpt:
AVA Solar, which manufactures thin-film photovoltaic modules, took in two infusions of venture capital totaling $145 million in 2008.
Range Fuels, which develops cellulosic ethanol-production technology, received $158 million in two deals.
Puls said the clean-technology industry “is receiving a lot of attention due to local and national campaign initiatives as well as the country’s increased focus on finding cleaner, more efficient ways to use energy.”
About 44 percent of Colorado’s VC dollars in 2008 went to clean-tech companies, Puls said.
Companies making medical devices and equipment garnered the second-largest VC chunk, 15 percent.
Other large VC deals in 2008 besides AVA Solar and Range Fuels:
• SomaLogic Inc. of Boulder, which develops proteomics systems and applications, received $35 million.
• Ice Energy Inc. of Windsor, which develops energy storage, advanced cooling and refrigeration products, received $33.2 million.
• Lanx Inc. of Broomfield, which specializes in systems and implants for spinal surgery, received $25 million.
• Pharmaca Integrative Pharmacy Inc. of Boulder, which sells prescriptions and natural remedies, received $22.1 million in two deals.
• Sierra Neuropharmaceuticals Inc. of Aurora, which makes pharmaceuticals for direct-to-the-brain treatment of neurological diseases, received $20.6 million in two deals.
• Accera Inc. of Broomfield, which develops therapeutic treatments for neurodegenerative diseases, received $20.3 million.
Here’s the rest of the article.
hot on elephant
Elephant Journal’s Holiday Gift Guide 636 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 600 shares Waylon’s favorite Ethical Gifts. 13 shares Learn Social Media, Writing, Editing & Journalism Ethics with elephantjournal.com. 1 share The Real Reason so many Long-term Relationships Fail Sexually. 994 shares Trevor Noah just won my Respect. 2,567 shares Year of the Fire Rooster 2017: What to Expect. 994 shares Why a Year of No Dating was the Best Thing I ever did for Myself. 7,612 shares These Tweets (and Retweets) actually Happened. 1,391 share How to Say Goodbye to that almost-great Love. 1,665 share