Want money? Word on the street is VC, Venture Capitol, has all but dried up. Well, not in Colorado—esp if your would-be company is ‘green.’ Excerpt:
AVA Solar, which manufactures thin-film photovoltaic modules, took in two infusions of venture capital totaling $145 million in 2008.
Range Fuels, which develops cellulosic ethanol-production technology, received $158 million in two deals.
Puls said the clean-technology industry “is receiving a lot of attention due to local and national campaign initiatives as well as the country’s increased focus on finding cleaner, more efficient ways to use energy.”
About 44 percent of Colorado’s VC dollars in 2008 went to clean-tech companies, Puls said.
Companies making medical devices and equipment garnered the second-largest VC chunk, 15 percent.
Other large VC deals in 2008 besides AVA Solar and Range Fuels:
• SomaLogic Inc. of Boulder, which develops proteomics systems and applications, received $35 million.
• Ice Energy Inc. of Windsor, which develops energy storage, advanced cooling and refrigeration products, received $33.2 million.
• Lanx Inc. of Broomfield, which specializes in systems and implants for spinal surgery, received $25 million.
• Pharmaca Integrative Pharmacy Inc. of Boulder, which sells prescriptions and natural remedies, received $22.1 million in two deals.
• Sierra Neuropharmaceuticals Inc. of Aurora, which makes pharmaceuticals for direct-to-the-brain treatment of neurological diseases, received $20.6 million in two deals.
• Accera Inc. of Broomfield, which develops therapeutic treatments for neurodegenerative diseases, received $20.3 million.
Here’s the rest of the article.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 1,356 share Learn to Rock your Social Media & Write Mindfully with Waylon Lewis & Elephant’s Editors. 5 shares 2017’s First Full Moon in Cancer: Everything we Want is on the Other Side of Fear. 22,462 shares Why I Snort Raw Cacao. 8,784 shares The Best Marriage Advice from a Divorced Woman. 1,934 share If you Love her, Don’t Destroy Her. 5,862 shares The True Meaning of Friday the 13th (isn’t what we think). 5,193 shares The Power of Saying “He’s just Not into Me.” 1,743 share How to Disentangle ourselves from Karmic Relationships that Drive us Crazy. 133 shares You’ve Ruined Me for Anyone Else. 1,682 share