As an independent media fan, I’m not normally a loyal reader of Ideal Bite, which sold to Disney for $20 million last year…that said, this particular tip hits a useful, easy-to-fix green-your-life home run. For many more easy to implement tips, go to Ideal Bite and learn away!
… dryer balls that fluff and soften your laundry – free of the toxic plastic PVC, and no disposable dryer sheets necessary. The cash + eco savings = something to croon about.
- Striking a waste-free chord. You can reuse dryer balls over and over – most will last you several years. And attention vegetarians: most dryer sheets contain tallow,an animal byproduct.
- More (bank)notes. Boxes of dryer sheets can cost $5-$10 for 50 washes; some of our options are even free.
- Tuning out PVC. Your average dryer ball is made from PVC, which releases carcinogens during production.
We’ve found that the balls actually work better than sheets, but they can be loud – the noise drives Jen so batty she turns her music up to volumes typically reserved for warehouse raves.
- Wool Dryer Balls – made from wool by a work-at-home mom ($7).
- DIY Bite: try an old tennis ball – they work almost as well. Or make your own wool dryer balls from yarn.
hot on elephant
The 4 Stages of a Good Divorce. A Letter to my Children: You do not come from a Broken Home. These People are Rare Gems—Keep Them, Fight for Them, don’t Give Up on Them. Mom, can I Call her Mom, Too? Jon Stewart makes first appearance since retiring—”it’s not your country.” Waylon shares 10 transformingly beautiful Quotes about Love. 40 Things I’ve Learned in 40 Years. Why your Yoga Goals are (Probably) Irrelevant, if not Downright Dangerous. Dear Woman in the White Car at Margaritas Mexican Grill in West Memphis, Arkansas on July 15th, 2012. How I Raise My Dying Son.