New Interview With Shepard Fairey.

Via on Feb 9, 2009

As I was writing a previous blog on Shepard Fairey, I came across this stellar interview that was just released on the USA Network. Shepard was interviewed as a recipient of first ever Character Approved Awards which according to the video, “honors individuals from a cross-section of creative disciplines who are positively influencing American culture”. In addition to the high accolades Shepard has been receiving from people across the world, his Obama “Hope” print was recently added to the Smithsonian’s permanent collection. He’s also having his fair share of legal troubles with the AP press, and the city of Boston. But through all of the media hype, this interview cuts to the heart of the philosophical ideas behind his work.

One of my favorite quotes is, “The argument that graffiti is an eyesore and that advertising is ok because it’s paid for seems a bit ridiculous to me.” This is a brilliant observation, and something that people don’t really think about. So, props to Shepard for cutting through what we as consumers are told to believe, and instead challenging people to think for themselves and live a more conscious life.

Check out the video below, the payoff is worth your time, if I may say so myself.

About Rusty Ralston

Rusty Ralston is a professional photographer specializing in music, fashion, lifestyle, and travel photography. He is available for shoots anywhere, preferably sunny islands.

552 views

8 Responses to “New Interview With Shepard Fairey.”

1. Heather says:

The video is really well done, thanks for the tip. My favorite line: “the enemy of art is indifference.”

2. Tres Altman says:

nice rusty. shepard is one of the best! i am not ashamed to say that i vividly recall walking the streets of charleston S.C. in ’89 and seeing the first “Andre has a posse” stickers up. my friend nathan gave me a whole roll to pass around…damn….i should have kept that roll of stickers! HA!

3. Mandy says:

Thanks for sharing this, Rusty! What an interesting and inspiring guy. Love it.

4. A-ko says:

I saw him on Colbert! It was fabulous.

5. Mercedes says:

Great video!

6. dk mortimus says:

rusty. you’re getting better. as long as you stick to journalism and avoid rating beers you may make an impact on this cyber world.i still can’t believe the great lakes brewery didn’t make your christmas ale faves. almost as unbelievable as the serious artist-in-action shots of fairy. guess you gotta be hard sometimes though, with a name like fairy and all. i know, i’m a wanker.

7. finagel says:

I listened to snippet of an interview of Shepard Fairey on NPR and it really perked my interest in wanting to find out more about him. He has a pretty inspiring philosophy and I dig, not only his work, but the way he views art in general.