Why are you a Vegetarian?

Via on May 20, 2009

vegetarian paul mccartney peta

“I’m a vegetarian because I realize that even little chickens suffer pain and fear and experience a range of feelings & emotions.” ~ Sir Paul McCartney

Leave your raison d’eatright below, in Comments.

About Waylon Lewis

496 views

10 Responses to “Why are you a Vegetarian?”

1. greenergirl says:

There is no taste in the world that is worth killing a beautiful creature to experience. I love all animals – much rather connect with them ALIVE. And we like the same foods : )

2. -=jess says:

I became vegetarian because I realized I couldn't be an environmentalist and eat meat. This is largely because 90% of all land put to agricultural use in the United States is used for either the production or the feeding of livestock. The air and water pollution caused by the meat industry is staggering.

Let me give you a few more statistics: For every acre of forest trampled by urban sprawl in the U.S., 7 acres are lost and converted into feedlots to quench our taste for meat. For every hamburger that is imported from Central America, 6 square yards of jungle are cleared away.

If everyone in the U.S. went vegetarian just for one day, our country would…
    - save 1.5 billion pounds of crops otherwise fed to livestock, enough to feed the state of New Mexico for more than a year
    - prevent 3 million tons of soil erosion and $70 million in resulting economic damages
    - save 100 billion gallons of water, enough to supply all the homes in New England for almost 4 months

After going veggie for environmental reasons, I began to discover the animal rights issues, the human rights issues (as they relates to world hunger), and personal health benefits. With every day that goes by and with every new study that is published about the terrible personal and environmental health effects of eating meat, I am happier and happier with my choice.

Give it a try and I bet you'll feel the same!

3. sadattilio says:

I never liked the taste of meat and once I found out what meat was I couldn't stomach the idea of consuming it without getting vivid images in my head of the animals. My parents raised me to be aware of animal cruelty and animal rights. I just can't stomach the thought of eating something that once crawled, walked, or swam.

4. Jeff Roth says:

here's why : http://thecovemovie.com/

i used to be a fish only vegetarian before seeing the film,

now i'm done with fish eating as well.

hallelujiah

5. Take a look at my "21 Reasons to Eat Like a Vegetarian"
    healthyhighways.com/21reasons.shtml

6. Ben Tremblay says:

Twice I've been fully vegetarian (Soto Zen Priory and Kagyu monastery) because in those resource-rich and rather structured environments nutrition was enough of a concern that it was well taken care of. On my own? Too much like food neurosis … so I eat dairy, eggs, and small portions of fish and meat.

7. vegan_mum says:

I defy any sensible honest person to read The China Study and The Food Revolution and *not* go vegan.

8. Benjamin Riggs BenRiggs says:

I will not buy meat… But I will not turn it down when offered to me, just to watch it be thrown away either. If I am being honest I must say that I like the taste of meat: ham sandwiches, crawfish, and sausage all taste good to me. But I, like Mr. McCartney do not believe that animals were put here for my amusement and sustenance.

9. Another Cove link, via yours truly, with videos: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/waylon-lewis/the-co