Keep Calm & Bike Poster On.

Via on Aug 12, 2009

keep calm and bike one ride

10 Bike Posters that I love.

Okay, a few more than 10. And a few aren’t posters, they’re ads. And one ain’t even a bike, but haulin’ a pig on the back of yer scootah? Gotta include that. And one I don’t love, it’s tacky.

In any case. For the rest…there’s something so symetrical, so exciting, so grassroots revolutionary and yet so wholesome about bikes. I think if I was asked what my favorite symbol of all-time was, I’d have to say a bike. It’s fun. It’s green. It’s healthy. It is revolutionary.

And bike posters capture that. Particularly old ones, they used to be works of art. These days—when cities are designed for cars, not people; and our earth’s climate is changing thanks to thousands of tons of pollution each hour—bike posters generally have a more civic, ideological and/or environmental edge.

Which one’s your favorite? Have another favorite? Email link or image to ele.

Click the main image to toggle:

[galleria]

[slide]

Facebook is in talks with major corporate media about pulling their content into FB, leaving other sites to wither or pay up if we want to connect with you, our readers. Want to stay connected before the curtain drops?
Sign up for our curated, quality newsletters below.

Incorrect source, offensive, or found a typo? Email us (please put title in subject bar of email so we'll be able to fix). Or do you want to write for Elephant?
{Waylon H. Lewis C Enterprises 2014: Use Rights in perpetuity. Ownership remains with author.}

About Waylon Lewis

Loved it? Leave a tip!

12 Responses to “Keep Calm & Bike Poster On.”

1. Green Key says:

Nice collection! These were a lot of fun to click through!.I can't say I'm liking the poor piggies though.

2. Christine says:

it takes like a million years for this page to upload. Then I see a bunch of naked pics. Can't you promote bike riding without using sex? that'd be great.

• Waylon Lewis says:

I can't do anything without thinking about sex. ~ Waylon

• One eye says:

Eye thought it was using bicycling to promote sex, which eye supports entirely.

• Nerine says:

I love you Waylon! This is a classic post… Every post, I love them all. Funny ones, sad ones, the serious, the well researched and the sexy ones.
        However, I am getting creepy angry feelings inside due to all of the negative comments.

Do you think there is a place for me here, sometimes I doubt it? I never feel the need to criticise or cast judgement. I just take it all in my friend. I should take a deep breath.

Thanks again, appreciate you and all the input in this intergalactic sharing community.

• Bethany says:

The issueI have with the posters with naked women is that those are just more examples of how women are being used as OBJECTS to sell merchandise (clearly targeted to a male audience); unlike the poster with the naked man, which shows strength and form (i.e. from riding a bicycle). The posters with the women are a bit sophomoric and I would expect more from a site that supposedly supports sustainability, which also means advancing women and not supporting those that depict them as"sex objects."

• elephantjournal says:

I agree. But there's a hottie naked Lance for you up there, too, and many of the men above are wearing next to nothing, looking hot! Equal opportunity sexuality.

3. One eye says:

please get a new photo viewer whoever designed that one, well just get a better one.

4. Aborn says:

Classes post agreed!!

5. pedal prints says:

Love em! big fan or bikes and words. check out my etsy shop for some bike poster prints :) http://www.etsy.com/shop/pedalprints

6. loriinthesky says:

i have a couple of these prints framed on my walls!