Yoga + Dance = Tripsichore.

Via on Oct 8, 2009

tripsichore

Tripsichore, pronounced trip-sic-or-ee, is made up of Edward Clark, Nikki Durrant, Julia Horn, Bertie Russell, Toby Gillingham & Valentina Candiani. At least, they’re in the videos below—the troupe is constantly evolving, from what I gather.

Met Berty and Toby, fave new pals, at the 14th Annual Yoga Journal Conference in Estes Park and saw a performance or two. Not sure about Edward Clark’s shorty shorts (see second vid)—since you’ve got to have balls to wear shorts that short, you don’t want to be wearing shorts that short. It’s sort of a catch twenty-two, you see (even if you don’t want to see).

Videos:

Insects, again:

“Tripsichore began in 1979 as a company devoted to creating full length dance narratives. We explored a variety of stylistic forms including punk ballet, conventional modern dance and strict neo-classical technique. We used masks, performed with rock bands and did pop videos.

While yoga was always a part of our training, it wasn’t until 1992 that we realised the expressive potential and choreographic viability of yoga postures. Once we began to devise works using yoga asanas, their extraordinary artistic logic became evident. Surprisingly, it would seem that there has been no orthodox tradition for using yoga technique to create dances in the 5000 year history of the discipline. The postures intrinsically possess a sumptuous beauty and fluidity. They are the ideal vehicle to express the themes of harmony, balance, spirituality, ecstasy, bliss and mysticism because they are exactly about these subjects in and of themselves. We are now many years into this experiment and each day brings new discoveries..”

About elephant journal

(We use super-secure PayPal—but don't worry—you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

17 Responses to “Yoga + Dance = Tripsichore.”

1. Petra says:

It's like Cirque du Soleil – very fun to watch!

2. swati jr* says:

love*

3. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Sevadevi Glover. Sevadevi Glover said: RT @elephantjournal: yoga + dance = Tripsichore http://bit.ly/rkM76 videos [...]

4. toby gillingham says:

the best thing i have ever seen. someone should give these guys loads of money to to this

5. stevenmoses says:

I'm sorry everyone but this is artistic masturbation. It's a spectacle.

6. toby gillingham says:

Alright mosses. I know your namesake says prophet but lets not just jump the gun here. Firstly we at Tripsichore have all been in the yoga world for a long time and talking for myself personally I have never met a more substantial and knowledgeable yogi than Edward Clark. He has studied yoga in more depth than anyone I have ever met.

7. toby gillingham says:

What we do is interpretive story telling and if you really knew anything about yoga and performance respectively you would understand the deep inbeded similarities the seemingly separate entities share. Any good yogi will say the same thing as any good actor. To be good, to do it right you need to find a single point of focus. You need the ability to be only one thing at anyone time. Do as many things as you like but do them one at a time. That time being the present moment.

8. toby gillingham says:

Ever heard an actor use the phrase “in the moment” ever heard a similar phrase being used by a yogi. Very likely. That is yoga. Not the asanas we do or the pacific form of vinyasa flow you practice. These are relatively new ideas. Theses things are just roads to the same point. Actors, dancers, yogis, acrobats, gymnasts, martial artists, painters, sculptors, musicians, writers are all doing the same thing really whether they realise it or not. Its all Yoga. Doing long division can be yoga. Taking a shit can be yoga for fucks sake. It seems a shame to me that you have limited your view of yoga so substantially. Yoga is supposed to challenge your fear and destroy your ego. If you have ever been on stage (which maybe you have) then you will know that to give a good performance you have to leave those things at the door. You see how theatre and yoga become one?

9. toby gillingham says:

Let me also say at this point that the Tripsichorean Yoga Technique is one of the strongest I have ever practiced and I know that rest of the company would agree with me. We have a wide range of experience between us. (please email for a full list of credentials, couldn’t fit them all in here) and are probably some of the strongest yogis around. Yoga is the perfect medium to convey narrative. If all you saw was contortion and semi interesting manipulating of bodies then I‘m really sorry. What a lot of people including myself see is meditation unbound by stillness. Its art and dedication. Its focus and concentration at its utmost. I hope we get a chance to talk about all this one day I’m sure it would be a very interesting conversation.

10. toby gillingham says:

Listen, what can I really say. If you don’t like our work that’s to bad. Its not for everyone, nothing is. Maybe our next show will turn you around. I doubt it. I doubt you will see another one. How about this. If you make an effort to come to another one of our shows I will personally comp you. And after the show we will sit and have a nice cup of herbal tea or some shit and discuss what you think the major floors with our work are. Every one is entitled to their opinion. Maybe you can invite me to one of your classes (what is it that you do?)

Look forward to meeting you

Sincerely

Toby

11. toby gillingham says:

see you next tuesday

12. toby gillingham says:

im just trying to say that i think we do more than just artistic masturbation. i hope that every artist is given the right to freely express themselves in whatever way them feel fit. and not be judged as just a specticle.

13. katch says:

Its kinda gross

14. [...] I talked her up a bit, she was alternately shy and strong, snappish. I kept calling her “the Fila Girl,” she finally told me to shut up. But we also talked seriously about elephant and had lunch with Ed and Deb and went to a talk by TKV and had weak tea by the ancient YMCA fireplace with new friends and said goodbye in the night with my buddy Toby of Tripsichore. [...]

15. GPW says:

that stuff is terrible. It is technically impressive, but artistically it is mush. I a cringing watching it. It is like Pans People!