Johnny Cash sings Thanksgiving.

Via on Nov 26, 2009

thanksgiving prayer

To what 5 things do you offer your Thanksgiving?

1. I’m thankful for my mom and dad, for giving me to this crazy, magical, deeply sad life and planet.
  2. I’m thankful to my mom for raising the hell out of me; giving my childhood a rich, warm, happy glow, a childhood full of good, simple food; a rich education. Even while we lacked dough for TV and cars and other things we didn’t particularly need anyways. She taught me what to value.
  3. I’m grateful to Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, and the Holy Dharma, and the Noble Sangha, for giving me a chance at sanity, and being genuine, for training me when I was young and wild and more or less crazy with insecurity (arrogance).
  4. I’m grateful for my many friends, so many. And I’m grateful for loneliness, my best friend of all. And I’m grateful for my dog, who pulls me outside and back into reality when I’ve been working on elephant for hours upon hours and forget to eat or drink or exercise.
  5. I’m thankful for my health, and to our President, for spending his political capital trying to get healthcare for all Americans. That’s compassion. I didn’t have healthcare for 5 years, and if anything had happened during that time, my business and home and any ability to be of benefit would have been lost.

Johnny Cash sings Thanksgiving (pardon the illustration, but the song is…wow.)

About elephant journal

10 Responses to “Johnny Cash sings Thanksgiving.”

1. Liz the aunt says:

That man could sing the phone book….Happy Thanksgiving :0)

2. elephantjournal says:

Looking at this one year later, the list would remain the same except for number five…which would remain dedicated to our President but I'd say: thank you for spending all our political capitol, and then some, trying and failing often to bring Americans together and to right our listing economic ship and to be an example to young men and women everywhere of an uplifted, strong, fun, sweet adulthood and family.

And I'd add a number six, a rather obvious one: to Juliana.

3. catnipkiss says:

I am thankful for my strong and womanly body, my wonderful children, my parents, my friends, and even my enemies (just one, the ex-husband…). I am thankful for the opportunity to have this year of sabbatical to pursue my desires (writing, yoga, writing about yoga)

And I'm thankful, after reading your list that includes sadness and loneliness, that you have a number SIX (assuming Juliana is your partner?) – it gives me hope that I will have a "number six" someday, too.

Happy Thanksgiving Waylon and all the ele-funky people out there!

Alexa Maxwell

• elephantjournal says:

Hah: well, not to destroy the inspiration of your hope, but J & I didn't make it far…thankfully, perhaps. We're better on our own paths, I'm sure.

4. Connie says:

I am thankful for this age of technology that has made it possible for me to enlighten and expand my mind by reading the wonderful articles on this amazing compilation of good writings ! Thank you.
    I am thankful that in the third third of my life I am enjoying Yoga, which has transformed me and given me the path to true happiness and helping me be the best I can be.
    I am thankful for my loving husband, who loves me when I am not so loveable and who makes me laugh and who keeps hope and optimism most of the time.
    I am thankful for clean running water, indoor plumbing, electricity, a dry and clean place to live and all the trees and plants in our yard that make it a pleasure to step out the door.
    I am thankful for my health, especially since I do not have health insurance. Credit goes to the opportunity to practice Yoga, see my holistic chiropractor, avoid worry, toxins(when possible) and a positive outlook…my husband helps with that !
    The list could go on and on, as I hope my everlasting gratitude will. Thanks again !

5. CarmeLaVegas says:

Thankful for family, friends, freedom, faith, health.

6. You know, it's tough to stop at 5!

I am thankful for an atypically quiet, relaxed Thanksgiving.

I am thankful that my cat & her newborn kittens are coming home from the vet (PSA – when you adopt a stray…you may be getting more than you expected!)

I am thankful for my family and friends…should probably just say "family" because that's what true friends really are.

I am thankful for my health, home, and all the basics like that that we take for granted until something goes wrong.

I am thankful – more than ever lately – for work that I love. Vacations are lovely. Play is necessary, but satisfying work where you are helping others be free from pain: priceless.

Happy Thanksgiving – every single day!

7. Kira says:

1.) life in all its glorious and mundane moments.
    2.) hope. that things can and will get better.
    3.) simplicity. the less I "do' the more I alive I feel, and I love how that contradicts what media says.
    4.) god/goddess/universe/tao. That something more is going on then just my little life here.
    5.) this newsletter. reminding me of all the really cool people that are out there!

8. Trey says:

1. The folks who gave me life, Mama and Daddy, and the great sacrifices they made so I could be here.
    2. Folks who carry the message that life is more than the physical we endure, it's the spiritual to which we aspire, folks like Waylon Lewis, for example.
    3. Work that is hard but through which I grow, despite my reluctance and whining.
    4. Miracles which surround me daily and make themselves visible when I slow down and breathe.
    5. The Holy Scriptures of all the great wisdom traditions, my own and those of the world, teaching each of us in our own language and in the metaphors of our own cultures, the Truth.