10 Reasons I Hate Christmas. Love, The Grinch.

Via on Dec 23, 2009

by Sarah Miller

Picture 3*Warning*: If you are offended easily, don’t read this….

One doesn’t have to look far to see the atrocious side-effects of the Christmas season on the environment and on the psyche.

As a non-Christian and non- religious (but extremely spiritual) Being, I take offense to much of these customs that are seemingly forced upon us during this time of year.

Oh I can hear the backlash of comments to come!! I’m speaking blasphemy. Blah Blah…But here are my top ten reasons that I choose to be Grinchy at this time of year.

1) It all starts waaay too early: Shortly after they get done with Halloween, the Christmas crap starts showing up in stores- well over two months before the event. The DAY after Thanksgiving (don’t get me started!) people are out putting up the tacky “yard ornaments.” December technically starts on November 25th in America.

2) The yard stuff is tacky: I don’t mind making the long, cold winter months a bit more cheery with some lights and nog. Whatever. But when your lights/Santa/ candy canes/Mickey Mouse etc., are life size, they infringe on my personal space and vision. Furthermore, when your yard looks like Las Vegas, you’ve gone too far. When you don’t know how to artfully arrange items, or determine what is clearly distasteful, or what has nothing to do with Christmas in the first place, you have no business putting anything in your front yard. Period. (Example: dalmatians, lollipops, Mickey Mouse, blow up Santas, deer etc.)

3) Lights, electricity, fossil fuels: Have we thought about the environmental implications of the excessive use of electricity for all these lights, blow up machines and spotlights?! How many watts are being used when a yard is so bright it competes with the full moon itself? Then, on top of this, people DRIVE around in their cars to look at the Christmas lights. Talk about over-consumption and a waste of fossil fuel.

4) The “Christmas tree”: I don’t even have to say it, it’s so obvious. A living tree has been killed. For what? For less than thirty days of enjoyment. For putting gifts under (I’ll get to that in a second). To say that you “did a tree this year.” To hang chintzy ornaments on. It’s disgusting. Kill nature. Then decorate it. Then throw it away. Oh so American! I am obviously not pro-killing trees for decoration. Tree farms? Still a bad idea. Then there are the fake trees. Made of plastic and entirely non-biodegradable. Need I say more?

There’s also the reality that the “Christmas tree” is associated historically with paganism and several other traditions but gained popularity in the U.S. and UK during Queen Victoria’s reign mid 18th century. As it turns out, it is a fairly new holiday association.

5) Gifts?: What kind of gifts are these anyway? Gifts you need? Or gifts you want? Gifts your kids are whining about? Basically it’s more crap. It’s a holiday designed for retailers and makes people feel the need to buy, buy, buy. Long after the holidays are over, your finances have gone to sh*t. You are giving gifts just to give gifts because that’s what people do at Christmas; give gifts. Who needs gifts? Who needs anything? Right. No one.

6) Put the Christ back in Christmas: Let’s first point out that Christ wasn’t a Christian- he was Jew. Secondly, I’m all for celebrating Christs’ day of birth except for one small thing: he wasn’t actually born in December. In fact, he was born sometime closer to spring. The Christians actually disguised their celebrations under the auspices of Solstice (a considerably “Pagan” holiday by some standards) in order to avoid persecution.

Perhaps this holiday should be restored to its more truthful origins? Or is this the epitome of what the holiday itself has become?

7) Separation of church and state: So according to our government, we all must be Christians who celebrate such things as Christmas. Otherwise all government offices wouldn’t be closed and all working folks wouldn’t get days off from their employers- by law. I could have sworn that our Constitution states a separation of church and state? Hmmm. So let me get this straight, a country built on the very backs of immigration, that boasts its very founding on freedom of religion and the ending of an oppressive regime, is now telling me what holiday to celebrate and my government sees no conflict with this- even though the Constitution clearly states otherwise? Wow, we are so hoodwinked! Clearly, I’m not getting days off from work for Diwali or Ramadan. No. Only Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas…….

8) Santa Claus: We all know there was a St. Nick who lived once. Around the world there are depictions of a jovial Being and his generosity. I love it. I really do. There are pagan ties (Odin to the Germans) that have made Santa taboo for certain Christian celebrations. I like the guy. But……my point is, he doesn’t actually belong with Christmas at all. Call me a Puritan, but he’s not Christmas. And besides, you’re lyin’ to the kids and that ain’t cool.

9) “Merry Christmas!”: How many times do I have to hear “Merry Christmas!” in my lifetime? How many times will I have to respond with “happy holidays” before people realize that not everyone is celebrating their holiday with them? Isn’t it a bit egotistical to assume that everyone else is ALSO celebrating Christmas? I find it super rude. Especially for those who are celebrating Hanukkah and Kwanzaa at this time of year. And funny no one wishes me a happy Raam Navami…..

To put it into perspective, American Muslims don’t go around wishing EVERYONE “happy Ramadan” every year. Why? Because they know that not everyone in America is celebrating Ramadan with them. So why do Christians, or those celebrating Christmas, assume that everyone else is playing along with them? Weird.

10) Bottomline: I think this Christmas thing is WAY out of control. If you want to celebrate your holiday, go for it! I support you in that effort and honor your desire for celebration in the name of your personal beliefs. But please, please, don’t turn this into an everyone holiday. And to those who are just giving stupid gifts and cutting trees and putting up horrid light displays with Mickey and lollipops and dalmatians, you need to find some meaning in it all. You’re celebrating Christ after all. Aren’t you?

With love,

The Grinch.

About Saraswati J.

Jyotish Coach and Consultant, bridging ancient wisdom with a Body-centered approach to Expressive Art Therapy. Jyotish for artists, mystics and healers: www.swatijrjyotish.com ::: And unique adornments for the urban goddess: Swati Jr* Jewelry {Be A Goddess} www.swatijrjewelry.com ::: Twitter and Instagram @swatijr #BeAGoddess

Elephriends - Mindful Partners

190x1902-EJ-clothing

134 Responses to “10 Reasons I Hate Christmas. Love, The Grinch.”

1. elephant journal elephantjournal says:

November 25th? You're right, but it's even worse: November 1st I was biking through 29th Street Mall in Boulder, Colorado, and Frank Sinatra was singing Jingle Bells or some gaddamn thing. November 1st!

2. Another agreement here, great quote via Sojourners:

"It's good to remember that Jesus grew up as a poor Jew in a poor town. His life was not about having great material possessions, but about living for God in this humble and modest way."

- Stephen Chapman, associate professor of the Old Testament at Duke Divinity School, on the discovery of the first dwelling in Nazareth that dates to Jesus' era. (Source: USA Today)

3. Joe says:

Controversy for the sake of controversy. Sorry, but this post was full of the same old trite complaints about Christmas that numerous people before you have expressed. No one "forces" Christmas upon you. You have a choice when it comes to celebrating it or ignoring it.

Though I consider myself a "Christ-follower" in the sense that I appreciate his teachings and the life he led as an example for others to follow, I am not crazy about the Christmas tradition. I don't get caught up in it, nor do I let it affect me.

I think it's silly to write a post being so annoyed by something you can simply abstain from, and have much more peace in your heart and mind as a result.

• I respectfully disagree, Joe. While I don't think that the post was paticularly original, but I do think that this season is "forced" upon those that don't follow it. For 3 months we are bombarded with Christmas promotion, propaganda and pomp.

Cheers,

John

• Chris says:

I respectfully disagree, John. You're bombared with the high consumer holiday that has surpassed Christmas the religious holiday. To point out how Christians co-oped these pagen rituals without mentioning that irony is unfortunate. Most of us are consumers before anything else. Yes, even us pedantic and high minded Buddhists can be catagorised as consumers first. Without addressing this consumer component, the article falls flat in making an original contribution to this new (offically tiresome) holiday ritual of pointing out hypocricsys of Christmas (leaving out ourselves is always nice).

4. Leslie says:

Joe – I suggest that you re-read #7. Government offices are closed for Christian holidays. I work in a government office, and I do not subscribe to christian beliefs. I would rather take different days off, but I do not have that option. We can't simply "abstain" and ignore it. Happy Holidays!!

5. lynn says:

2 words: advent conspiracy

6. TimesNewRoman says:

I dunno. Seems like more and more of the articles at this site are leaning in the direction of smug and judgmental.

You think peoples' lawn ornaments are "tacky"? Good for you. Just seems a bit harsh coming from someone who claims to be a "spiritual Being."

• Remember, every writer posts in their own voice, to their own integrity. It's a community here, and if someone comes off as "off," the wonderful 2.0 two-way street of new media (ie, comments like yours) help bring this site, and our authors, back to kindness and fairness and away from being too judgemental. So stop judging us.

7. John Pappas says:

Before I forget! Sarah, a pagan friend has been posting on my personal blog this past month on how he deals with the Christmas Holiday. He referenced your article (positively). It will be up on Christmas.

Happy Holidays! Love the rant!

John
    <a href="http://www.zendirtzendust.com” target=”_blank”>www.zendirtzendust.com

8. Oh, I give your comment a thumbs up. Thanks for sharing, it can be harder to share criticism, so kudos.

9. elephant journal elephantjournal says:

Lead editorial, most popular on entire NY Times site right now: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/24/opinion/24krist… via Nicholas Kristof

10. Thanks Sarah for such a refreshing viewpoint!

11. [...] by Waylon Lewis, elephantjournal.com on Dec 25, 2009 A lot of people, manyyy of my friends, hate Christmas. And for very good reasons. [...]

12. Amy Putkonen says:

A great list! This year, my family and I gave each other letters and it was so much fun to think of the gift that each one of them is to me. So much more pleasant than struggling through long lines and parking lots to get people stuff they don't want, spending money I don't have! Great stuff!

13. Steve says:

Wow when you lead with a description of yourself as – "extremely spiritual" and then go on such a harsh and senseless rant I have to say "Hold on a minute?"

I think people of any religion or spiritual persuasion extending what is intended to be a happy and peaceful greeting to another person is beautiful and sorely lacking in society today. I never feel like "Merry Christmas" is proselytizing and if "Happy Ramadan" ever came my way I'd be ok with that too. Religious tolerance is quite simply a key to peace on earth. I would be the first to agree that the commercialization of Christmas as well as garish displays are annoying but then again I can look the other way at many things that I do not agree with if they cause me or others no real harm. When I hear others complain that Happy Holidays has replaced Merry Christmas in the malls I politely remind them that there is little spirituality to be found in most retail stores. Why allow yourself to be offended by something so benign?

So I say with peace and love in my heart – Happy Hanukkah, Namaste, As-Salam Alaikum, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to you Sarah!

14. swati jr* says:

does anyone else see the humor in all of us discussing our opinions and thinking that our viewpoint is somehow a valiant effort at truth? i especially love it because the piece is titled "10 reasons i hate christmas" yet never mentions why you should too. it is quite personal. that said, i find it extremely interesting to hear others' views on these crazy holidays and truly appreciate your interest in my "grinchy" take on life. i would like to mention that i actually wrote this last year, when i lived in Houston. if you have never withstood multiple "texas christmases", i invite you to subject yourself to a few just for good measure. then, maybe, we can really have a good chuckle over all of this. bless*

15. J M Thornton says:

A "very spiritual being" wouldn't even think to call themselves a very spiritual being let alone write this article.

16. whitevenom says:

A bunch of Grinches on here,glad you are not living by me,if you don”t like it don,t look at it.We all choose how we respond to anything.if I become a vegetarian tomorrow,its like me posting and complainingabout grocery stores shoving meat at me in their store displays.based on my beliefs?Cmon …! Some people like myself are spiritual,but hold nostalgic memories with family,hence certain traditions like setting lights out after Thanksgiving.I am a Veteran of US Army and put flag out on appropriate holidays to respect our troops.some people who also are Veterans may not.again its a choice ,everyone has their reasons etc,but I don’t post and complain about them.Its part of life….we always will have buttons pushed on our walk on earth,how we choose to deal with those emotions is about spiritual progress…you either choose peace and not let it bother you or manifest anger.which then becomes an angry thoughtform that karmically may come back to you…..Choose peace ;) Blessings WV

17. Marcel says:

I hate Christmas too, all the blabla crap.

Thats why me and some friends made this video

To support all the other Christmas haters ;)

18. Bob says:

Also wanted to say, its not my birthday or anyone elses I personally know. So why recieve a gift or get one for someone else.

19. Bob says:

Put christ in christmas and keep wallmart out.Christmas is ten more reasons to hate wallmart. The grinch is cool.

20. Bob says:

I went to a local hardware/clothing store on black friday as my furnace was acting up and needing a new fuel filter. Never saw so many stupid people under one roof in my life. Reminded me of a flock of chickens running around tilting their heads and pecking at everything. They were buying up cheapley made imported chinese made clothing, thinking they were getting the bargin of their lives.

21. dave says:

why dont you crazy librels leave America if you dont like Chrismas? It's a USA holiday and its what our solders are dying for and our freedoms. if you dont like it shut up or leave. Merry Chrismas USA!!!

• Quinn says:

Quite possibly the dumbest comment I've ever seen… anywhere.

• BoulderBabe says:

Our SOLDERS are dying? Well perhaps they should send somebody from the military instead of metalworkers :-)

• Monique says:

Hahaaaa! You are on the wrong site, sweetheart. You also may be mildly autistic. I might have that checked out by a medical professional, if I were you. Also, the word is liberal. Li-ber-al. Merry Christmas!

• candicegarrett says:

our country was founded by "liberals" who wanted to practice religious and political freedom from "conservative" England. Your comment disrespects what we are founded upon. People are "free" to disagree without being forced to leave (that's the nature of our first amendment and democracy) so you're contradicting yourself there.

• Annoymous says:

This country didn't even do Christmas until after the Civil War. So our First Amendment right too ignore a stupid holiday is worthy of deportation and exile? Your disgusting.

• elephantjournal says:

Our soldiers aren't dying for Christmas…they're dying for our values, hopefully, and those values include freedom to worship, freedom of religion…the Founding Fathers took great pains to make it clear that the USA was not a Christian country, but rather a country that welcomed all faiths, and non-believers too. Peace on Earth, Goodwill to all!

Yer favrit crazy librel,

Waylon

• guest says:

that's a silly post. your soldiers are dying for your freedom. one of them is the freedom to not shut up. and obviously, christmas is not an american holiday as it came from europe.(I know, eww europe) Your country is built on freedom of (and from) religion, freedom of speech. you are trying to undercut that? not very american.

• pnutgalry says:

that's funny. Funny thing about the internet, people tend to take you seriously when you're kidding around

22. Angela says:

i just hate Christmas…Every year we all give in to the commercialism. Charlie Brown was right! We are all forced to buy crap we don't need and spend time with family, (that we all see anyway) Annoying! F*@$ the holidays!

23. kristin says:

I hate Christmas as well. That said, I have to disagree with you on your issue with live trees. I live in the mountains of North Carolina, where Christmas tree farms are everywhere. These farmers depend on that income, just like the people who grow your tomatoes, zuchinni, etc. If you are against live Christmas trees, then you must also be against carving pumpkins, because your logic would imply that it is wrong to use nature for decoration.

24. Joan says:

Good editorial. It blows my mind what some people believe in. When more people learn to think for themselves, they'll see the foolishness of just about everything our society feeds on.

25. Pamela says:

I love Christmas, every single thing about it. Sorry x

• elephantjournal says:

Don't be! I think part of Sarah's point is, to each his/her own! That any one view shouldn't be forced upon everyone.

26. sarasvati3 says:

Thank you for this. I celebrate Christmas but the lack of sunlight, cold weather, pressure to be jolly and insane frenzy of the season make me very cranky sometimes and it gives me a special kind of satisfaction to meet grinches who question it all. :)

27. Martin says:

You look kind of hot! Can you warm my stockings?

28. Jordie says:

in the end, we are all entitled to celebrate, or not celebrate, christmas however we see fit, and we have no right to say that other people are wrong. i respectfully disagree with this blog, cause i absolutely love christmas.

29. Mana Smart says:

What I love about Christmas is spending the day with my Family – they are good breeders & nudging 30 people for the day. For a few years now we have bought Chickens, Ducks, Goats etc from the unwrapped catalogues on-line …. our children pull a name out of the hat & buy a pressie for that cousin from the family, we always invite people who may be on their own for Christmas. One family each year gets to organise the day this year its my turn I have choosen a Hawaiian theme so everyone will rock up in their sarongs, leis, Island shirts etc. We all share a meal together that everyone has bought to share & we have games & items organised ….. & then comes the tradditional water fight we have been having since I was a kid. Christmas can be a pain in the arse but our family has choosen to keep it simple & spend a day being together having fun …. If we focus on the bullshit it will be what we think it is but if we focus on what it is really all about then I am sure the true spirit of Christmas will return. Merry Christmas to you all xxxxx

30. Beth says:

What I love about Christmas is no matter how much stuff we buy that we don’t need, no matter how many tacky decorations are up everywhere and no matter how many days the evil, demon Government makes us take off, those bastards making us take time off to spend time with family and friends, how dare they! I love that at the end of the day none of that stuff seems to matter because what you look back on all your Christmases you find the most joyful experience of Christmas is presence, the presence of your friends and family. Dad sleeping on the couch during football, mom burning the turkey or the kids playing with their new Christmas gifts. So what one might find tacky another might not and that’s that beauty of life and that’s the beauty of life in America, we all see everything with only our eyes so live and let live. If you don’t celebrate Christmas then all the better because you can celebrate what Christmas is all about which is joy, happiness and love without all the distractions and perhaps you can celebrate Christmas not just one day a year but every day of the year! Cheers to you and yours in peace, happiness and joy! Isn't that what the Grinch learned at the end anyway?

31. Bob says:

How do you connect Soldiers dying to the commercialism of Christmas, maybey you should be the one to leave this country. You probabley shop at Walmart too. Giving your friends and loved ones a bunch of imported junk.

32. Guest says:

But its fun!

33. Dan Mage says:

I agree with the author and then some, but on the other hand, some people do get really sentimental about it so its best to live and let live. Being a Jew, I used to go out every Christmas in Denver, and make money selling flowers. When I was younger it was an excuse to get really wasted. Now, I don't know what I'm doing and don't really care, other than the fact that I don't get paid for the day off.

34. Nicca says:

I agree Christmas has been way over-commercialized. For Christmas my (admittedly grown) children got to choose which charity receives their Christmas present. They chose the local food bank (local to me as I have a child on each coast and I live in the Midwest). My Mother-in-law gave a donation to a food bank local to her as her gift to my husband and me. I also expect to receive notice that a donation has been made in my name to some charity as my Christmas present from my children. I did get one small item for my husband but it is something he needs, just a nicer version than he would have bought for himself. And as I have friends from many different faiths and most (not all) do celebrate Jan. 1 as the New Year, Happy Holidays!

35. rachel says:

I'm Jewish on my mom's said, lapsed Quaker on my Dad's. We don't go crazy at Christmas by any means, and I always wish Happy Holidays since I'm pretty aware of not being Christian (Hannukah is actually a minor holiday promoted to compare with Christmas), but I do like Christmas. I believe in seperation of church and state, but given that there's the time off, my family always gets together, and it's nice. Would we come home this time of year otherwise, hard to know, but I like seeing my family. The put the christ back in christmas shit annoys me, and this year I've been wrapping boxes with recylable brown paper and yarn we have leftover from my mom's knitting projects, but I really wanted to say that it's possible to give gifts without being too commercial. I try really hard to give gift's people need and will use- books I know they want to read, cooking supplies they lust after, yoga classes, cooking classes, etc. I think giving gifts can be a really awesome way to show someone you thought about them by buying something they will use.

36. karen skvarek says:

Sarah, great column and thanks to EJ for the repost. I agree with all your points and have felt the same for years. Also want to thank BoulderBabe and Rachel for their hilarious replies about the solder needing a stat metal worker for repair!

37. Scott Robinson YesuDas says:

Oh, the humanity! While I deplore all the vitriol in the comments, Sarah, I do wish to suggest that snark begets snark; content aside, the tone of your piece does seem to invite raised hackles. But I appreciate the thought you've put into this, and would like to add a few of my own:

1) I couldn't agree more that the whole thing starts way too early. Advent was traditionally a milder form of Lent–a time of reflection and spiritual preparation, followed by *twelve days* of "Christmas holidays," beginning with the Nativity, then St. Stephen's Day., Holy Innocent's Day, and on to Epiphany/Twelfth Night. I'd love nothing better than to spend Advent in more diligent prayer, followed by a twelve-day Christmastide. But the mercantile crosshairs trained on December 25 have made most of us forget that the Nativity is the *first,* not the *last,* day of Christmas. Drives me crazy, but I do what I can; if I don't get a card into the mail until 12/28, I boldly date it "Fourth Day of Christmas." So there.

2) "When you don’t know how to artfully arrange items, or determine what is clearly distasteful, or what has nothing to do with Christmas in the first place, you have no business putting anything in your front yard. Period."

OK, that's just plain snotty and elitist. You make the whole world sound like a gated community.

4) Victoria reigned in the 19th, not the 18th century.

6) "Let’s first point out that Christ wasn’t a Christian- he was Jew." Um…yes; OK–and the Buddha wasn't a Buddhist–he was a Hindu with an anti-Brahminical streak. Not sure I see your point, here.

About the December thing, again, I agree; I heard my 6-year-old explain to someone today that Jesus was born in spring, because that's when the shepherds were out in the fields, because it was lambing time. But again, your point? Is this one of the reasons you hate Christmas, and are you seriously saying you'd hate it less if it were in March? And if so, why? Again, not following you here.

10) I am with you 100% that people who celebrate Christmas per se need to determine what they are doing and why; no place for fuzzy thinking on this. Re. your aesthetic judgment(alism) see #2 above.

Please wish me a Happy Diwali; I would like that.

38. taylor gibbons says:

"Let’s first point out that Christ wasn’t a Christian- he was Jew." This is like saying Muhammad wasn't a muslim, but is an even more annoying example of the act. Christ was a Christian, he invented the religion, he denied Judaic examples to establish it's tenants. You can't begin your life as something you are said to have later consciously established unless you are as an infant at the moment of your birth coherent enough to establish said thing which so far no one has been. This is like saying Bell didn't invent the telephone because he wasn't born as the inventor of it. This is the most aggravating comment on Christianity that exists. Speaking reasonably no one should even bother to make it.

• taylor gibbons says:

*muslim=Muslim, I should have capitalized that term to show it the same regard as other religions mentioned in the post.

• Scott Robinson YesuDas says:

Sorry, Taylor–that won't hold up. Muhammad did consciously set out to found Islam–or at any rate, he responded to what he believed was a divine calling to do so. Jesus said, "I have not come to abolish the Law, but to fulfill it." He was a Jew. His early followers were Jews. And most of what we now call "Christianity" was "invented" not by Jesus, but by Paul. Jesus only gave one original commandment: "Love one another, as I have loved you." What exactly are you claiming He "invented"?

The earliest followers of Jesus called themselves "Followers of the Way"; not until Paul's time, in Alexandria, did the term "Christian" even exist. At any rate, isn't it nonsensical to describe Jesus as a "follower" of himself?

• candicegarrett says:

Christ did not set out to invent a religion. He did not, in fact, invent anything. That was done later, by the apostles and by his followers.

39. alpinelily says:

I'm just curious, do you attend Halloween parties, New Years celebrations, birthday parties or weddings? All of those events also use an increased amount of fossil fueld, decorations and gifts.

40. Rebecca says:

I can appreciate the author's disdain for the commercialization of a holiday in which she does not participate. However, this post lacks novel thought and ideas. These points have been made over and over again, year in and year out. We all know Jesus was born in March and there was no such thing as a Christian when that event occurred. Religions, like families and governments, evolve and grow. They add traditions and refine beliefs. It's really quite simple. If you don't want to be part of that process, then don't participate. Don't buy the gaudy Santa; don't put up a tree, and by all means, don't allow yourself to look past the commercialism and religious overtones to find the universal ideas of love, joy and peace. Happy Saturnalia, everyone!

41. soulrole says:

@Dave-wow!better go off and do some yoga buddy!
    I appreciate this post…America is supposed to be about freedom..of religion among others!It really bother me to go to the children's public school CHRISTMAS show…in Hawaii.I love to give gifts and share warm happy times with family and friends but I do not LOVE the pressure that is put on people,esp. with children to buy more more more!whatever happened to people spending there cold winter evenings sitting around making gifts to give?

42. [...] are a lot of Grinches that appear around this time of year. You know who they are, the people who scowl at the neighbor [...]

43. swati jr* says:

this post is quickly becoming an elephantjournal.com tradition! love you elephant. glad to see this post is still creating thoughtful insights and a bit o' wintery pot stirring!! ;)

44. Santa says:

I disagree with some of your opinions. Thank you for the article. Merry Christmas!

45. [...] year however, we are experiencing three amazing events all at once: Solstice (the darkest day of the year and the first day of winter), a full moon (in Gemini) as well as an [...]

46. Witchdoctor58 says:

I'm using this article as the entry for the "Deck the Door" contest sponsored by my goverment employer. I just suffered through the forced celebration of Christmas office party, when services were shut to the public. They are fully open for business on non-Christian holy days, though.

47. Way to get people talking and thinking about this.
    This year – no Christmas Tree;
    Thoughtful, minimal, meaningful gifts.
    Time with family and friends – this is a reason to leave the holiday alone….. our country will not change it to the true birth day of Christ – so, we celebrate it 12/25 …. ok by me… let's just be mindful about how we spend it, how we use our purchasing power and be there for those who need help and guidance during a time that can be super stressful for many folks.
    Peace!

48. Varvara says:

A ha ha.Well I can't help but agree with Sarah…
    A friend was playing this today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhwQw5kgDq0
    I think he too had enough of Christmas…