Gift Suggestions for Meditation Lovers.

Via on Dec 14, 2009

Stumped because you need to get a holiday treat for your favorite meditation practitioner?  Today’s your lucky day:  here is a selection of ideas to please any loved one who has a meditation practice or wants to start one.

zafu meditation cushion

1.)   Zafu or Zabuton: These cushions are great for providing comfort during seated meditations.  Not sure whether you want to get a zafu or a zabuton or need clarification on the differences between them, visit Sage Meditation for a guide and a wide variety of product choices. If you wish to buy a handmade crescent-shaped zafu filled with buckwheat hulls, check out the ones by Inner Space Yoga. They are constructed of heavy-weight bright colors (black and brown are also available) and are made locally in North Carolina.

2.)   Meditation Timer: A meditation clock is a wonderful way to keep track of the amount of time spent sitting.  It offers a distraction-free method of clocking your meditation time, and can also be used to time yoga practices.  This one by Enso also has an alarm that sounds like the chimes of Tibetan singing bowls.

3.)   Books: There are many wonderful books on meditation to choose from for those newer to the practice to those with more advanced experience.  Two great examples are:  Silence and Beginner’s Guide to Buddhist Meditation both by Christina Feldman.  The former describes the benefits of five minutes of silence everyday.  It outlines a four-part method to achieving silence in your life.  The Beginner’s Guide is a great introduction to Buddhist meditation and might be just the ticket to jump start a practice.   It describes methods of meditation and details specifics such as proper ways to sit breathe and even dress.

4.)   Magazine Subscription: You could send your favorite meditator a subscription to either Shambhala Sun Magazine or Tricycle Magazine.  Such a gift would provide months worth of inspiration.

5.)   Mala: Many people find the use of malas, or a chain of beads used for chanting mantras, helpful for meditation.  Many different varieties of malas are available; some include 108 beads such as this mahogany obsidian one by Jewels of Saraswati.

Picture 384

6.)   Donation: If your meditating loved one has everything, perhaps consider a donation in their name to an institution that promotes mindfulness such as Naropa University.

Whether your loved one needs a book, a mala or merely a phone call for encouragement, we hope this list helps with your shopping.  We wish you a mindful, contemplative and peaceful holiday.

Photos:

Zafus courtesy of Inner Space Yoga
Mahogany and obsidian mala courtesy of Jewels of Saraswati

About Nancy Alder

Nancy Alder is a 200H Registered Yoga Teacher in Connecticut. She teaches her students to connect with space and breath from a place of safety and humor. She writes for many yoga blogs and chronicles her daily practice to find the beginners mind on and off the mat at her own blog,ww.flyingyogini.com. She is co-founder of Teachasana,www.teachasana.com, a site by yoga teachers for yoga teachers. When not writing or doing yoga she is in awe of her elves, busting asanas in crazy places and counting the days until the next snowfall.

11 Responses to “Gift Suggestions for Meditation Lovers.”

1. Tee says:

A few more gift suggestions for those who meditate are a small, light blanket or shawl for the shoulders, loose-fitting attire perfect for sitting for extended periods, incense, and candles and small icons for an altar (check first to be sure your choice won't offend the recipient's belief system).

2. MollyDeShong says:

Nancy and Ele people, thanks for your support!
    Molly from the Sun

3. John Pappas John says:

Love the gift giving ideas but how about making your own zafu. I followed these instructions and was able to make a good, workable one (and I have ZERO experience with the fine art of sewing). It took about 3-4 hours to do.

Cheers

John

4. John Pappas John says:

Cheers

John

5. John Pappas John says:

Cheers

John

6. John Pappas John says:

Cheers

John

7. nancy a says:

John great link, thanks! Tee, there was a terrific meditation shawl in Yoga Journal this last month. Here's the link how to make it: http://www.yogajournal.com/giftsoflove#shawl

Molly, keep up the fabulous work!

8. Saraswati says:

Thanks so much Nancy for featuring my mala! I am honored to be amongst your many lovely ideas!

9. All great gift ideas that I've purchased for myself in the past couple of years… great book addition: A Path With Heart by Jack Kornfield.

10. Dolyce says:

I knitted the meditation shawl from the pattern in your December issue.
    I couldn’t locate the Kersti Merino Crepe so used Pingouin Natural a blend of wool and mohair and acrylic etc. It is lovely.
    The pattern called for a number 9 circular needle but didn’t give the tension. I used a 5:5 mm as I assumed the number 9 must be an American size needle.
    There is where my shawl differed. In the picture in your magazine the patterns looked much larger than mine did, and it stated that she knitted 14 patterns. I had to knit 23patterns and 14 ridges to equal the required length.
    My question is did the knitter use a size 9:00 mm? That is a very large needle and would make the shawl lacy as in the picture.
    Can you please email your suggestions to me at the above address as I would like to knit another shawl.
    Dolyce

11. [...] the present and the thought had a negative charge—“I cannot believe the 45 year-old guy on the zafu next to me dresses like a skateboarding Rastafarian on parole (and girls are falling for [...]