Unforgiving Buddhists will Never Forgive Brit Hume. {Tiger Woods}

Via on Jan 4, 2010

Christianity strong on Forgiveness, Buddhism too Hate-Filled.

tiger woods brit hume

Which image is scarier?

buddhist fudo scary murderous watch out Brit Hume brit hume tiger woods buddhist christian

With hat tip to Tricycle Magazine online for the discovery (and RyderJaphy for the heads up):

The extent to which he can recover seems to me depends on his faith. He is said to be a Buddhist. I don’t think that faith offers the kind of forgiveness and redemption that is offered by the Christian faith. My message to Tiger would, “Tiger, turn to the Christian faith and you can make a total recovery and be a great example to the world.”

~ Brit Hume on Tiger Woods

Little does Brit realize that not only are we Buddhists temperamentally unable to forgive, our various secret ninja societies will hunt him down and unforgive him until he cries out in the dark for his mother. Brit Hume, prepare to feel the horror, the horror, the horror.

Update: Pat Buchanan (stepped in, and) picked up what Brit Hume laid down, click here.

About elephant journal

26 Responses to “Unforgiving Buddhists will Never Forgive Brit Hume. {Tiger Woods}”

1. Via Ryder Japhy, on Twitter:

We can't but feel compassion for Brit Hume for his ill informed comments regarding the Dharma for know better as practitioners of the faith.

Via Rob Cordry: Brit Hume has taken the Tiger Woods story from utterly preposterous to balls-out hilarious. Thanks Brit!

2. Kyle says:

Thanks for the nod and the good laugh. It is ashame that we even have to be dealing with this kind of political and rligious rheotoric in this day and age.

3. hadeveyra says:

Hahahah this is so funny. Thank you for making us laugh.

4. Via http://www.facebook.com/elephantjournal

Crissy
    As a Christian who has a deep fondness and great respect for the Buddhist faith, I can honestly say that this is another unfortunate example of an arrogant Christian who shamefully opens their mouth and spews ignorance and intolerance.

Antares
    What an idiot. Buddhism is all about compassion and forgiveness.

Stephanie
    It would almost be funny if it didn't potentially contribute to more misunderstanding and intolerance. I just emailed Fox network about it and encourage you all to do the same!

Valerie M
    That right there represents a lot of what's wrong with the world right now, IMO. As of just BEING (aka "I'm a…") something makes you that. It's about the practice of your faith, belief, lifestyle, whatever, that truly defines who you are. Every single religion or practice has people in it hiding behind the name and never actually practicing … See Morethe beliefs, Brit Hume should know this considering how many of his fellow Christians have been caught in UN -Christian like behavior. Once again logic is left out of religion. Peddle away Brit Hume, you're totally missing the point. I would hope most people, no matter their faith, would decide Tiger's sex life is none of their beeswax.

Shannon
    I am not a Buddhist scholar but I think it would be that he needs to forgive himself. We put ourselves through our own hell. Who is this Brit Humes – someone working to convert people to Christianity? Anyway…I don't really give a shit about celebrities and what they do with their lives…you make your bed that you must sleep in. Does our News/Media outlets having nothing more important to report on?

Crissy, I agree, and that's why I don't take this seriously, and that's why I embedded a video from the wonderful Father Thomas Keating. Brit Hume is the joke, as is his arrogance and ignorance.

5. Greg says:

What a wonderful opportunity! Hume has spoken from ignorance. Now Buddhists have a chance to take the big stage to clear up the confusion and to make the faith better known.

One easy way to counter the ignorance is to point out to Hume the book titled The Gethsemani Encounter in which Buddhist and Christian monastics come together to share their faith. The years of interfaith work between Catholics and Buddhists could be brought to light.

So easy to show he has spoken from ignorance.

Of course, if western Buddhists who are simply angry radicals take the stage then the ignorance will continue and Buddhism will once again be misrepresented.

• Rilu says:

See – so the problem here it is anti-Buddhist to ever "take the stage". Anyone Buddhist who thinks about "taking the stage" could never represent honest Buddhism as they could only be a radical.

6. Steven says:

Waylon, as a ninja, I volunteer for this mission.

7. [...] in response to Brit Hume’s poorly worded advice to Tiger Woods (posted by Elephant Journal here). Here are some of the highlights from USA Today Faith and Reason… In case you missed it, [...]

8. OnBuddhist says:

Dear Sir/Mam,

Buddhists are encouraged to do good deeds, not to do bad deeds, and to purify their own minds.
    Forgiveness and redemption doesn't cancel the result of doing bad deed, combine them with doing good deed helps "dilute" it.

This is in response to what Hume said below:
    Hume said "He is said to be a Buddhist. I don’t think that faith offers the kind of forgiveness and redemption that is offered by the Christian faith. My message to Tiger would be, ‘Tiger, turn to the Christian faith and you can make a total recovery and be a great example to the world."

OnBuddhist.com Staff
    @onbuddhist

9. John says:

Buddhism is gentle and non-violent religion. It's a shame people use every means to try to convert others to Christianity.

10. Jim says:

The integrity of a journalist, Brit Hume, is at stake. How can we trust him to be fair on discussing issues when we know that he is on one sided Christianity.

11. [...] adultery, raising a family, handling the adulation and now blame of millions…well seems Tiger figured Buddhism could handle whatever love-sex-suffering-adultery-confusion that life could throw at his klesha-killing, time-tested [...]

12. [...] however, saw all Tiger’s mentions of Buddhism deleted. This might be a coincidence—were Fox not the home of Brit Hume, who only weeks ago infamously remarked that Tiger ought to leave his …, and in America’s good graces once more. Via my friend Ken: Hi Waylon, Tiger DID say those [...]

13. My mentors teach me that if I get angry with Mr. Hume that I am forgetting his potential for his own Buddha Nature. I feel sorry for him since he doesn’t realise that we were all born with that inside us no matter what we believe outside of our Buddhist practice. He thinks of Buddhism as if it was comparable to Christianity since we treat it as a religious practice. Also, unfortunate is the fact that he has no idea how much of an insulting context he stated in referrence to Mr. Woods. To suggest Mr. Woods should become a Christian in order to be forgiven is like saying a vegetarian should become a cowboy in order to appreciate working in a slaughterhouse. What for? Unfortunately for Mr. Hume, he doesn’t understand that in Buddhism there is no heaven, hell, or purgatory that isn’t a part of your own heart. We don’t pray to something outside ourselves but perhaps the protecitve forces (shoten zenjin) to come fix us because we aren’t broken, we are humans and live in a state of delusion unless we practice with faith like honing the sharpness of our own Buddha Natures. My sect likes to use the analogy of a tarnished mirror that we polish through our practice to see ourselves and our true path clearly. To feel good about ourselves we understand that there is one set of rules we call the eightfold path. They are: Right View, Right Intention, Right Speech, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness, and Right Concentration. Most Christians would tell us that is impossible but since they can’t accomplish these ideals, then since they are Christians they are forgiven their sins. Yes, the steps on that path are impossible to get around. They are easy to attain if you have the right motive, which for us is supreme happiness. And if we are living and following the path, then we are going to be living in a better life condition which immediately ceases suffering and increases happiness. If we stray off the path, then we are living in our own hell. When we do something wrong we aren’t afraid of going to hell, we are already there but because Mr. Hume considers Heaven, Hell, and chaos something outside himself, he can put off having to deal with them long enough to enjoy the temporary pleasurable part of his actions, then when he gets around to it, ask to be fortgiven and be saved, so he can gain admittance someday after he is dead to some mythical place in another ultrauniverse where he will be judged later on. We have an immediate satisfaction which requires a more immediate action on our parts. We don’t dismiss our failings as something that can be said “The devil made me do it”, the Flip Wilson excuse. We are responsible for our actions NOW and feel shame today and can remove it only by changing our behavior. We don’t give ourselves that much leeway to say that we are saved everytime we confess and then do it again next week. We believe if we don’t change now, the only person who can change it is us, not someone we can pray to and be “saved”. We don’t pray to Buddha since he and everyone else in the universe, including every particle of dust are part of the same thing. So if I hurt you, or something else, I am hurting myself.
    Mr. Hume and others often compare Buddhism to Christianity as if there is a way to do that. That would be like someone who spent their entire life driving a firetruck deciding to buy a compact sedan. He would be constantly comparing the two and since there was no hose compartment, no siren, no beacon, no hook and ladder, then, it would always be inferior by comparison, while a normal sedan driver might think his model was heavenly. The point is, it was never meant to be a firetruck. Just like Buddhism was never meant to teach you a lesson that you would get around to someday changing about yourself while wanting to be forgiven someday in a mythical place on a different plane of existence, where my admittance there was superior to the punishment for not being admitted and would instead be tossed into a place of suffering. Buddhism is right in your face NOW and you are the only one who can get you out of the Hell you create for yourself, which, by the way, has the same address as paradise (Nirvana). If you prefer to have guilt over a lesson learned by a mistake and like the idea that you need a threat of an eternity being tortured in order to convince you to do the right thing, then, keep your religion, Mr. Hume. I would rather keep coming back until I get it right. I would rather consider my mistakes a lesson learned and move on. Isn’t that actually the most important kind of forgiveness? Forgiving oneself? We merely start out without the guilt and don’t have to make a dramatic event out of each lesson you call a sin. Thanks.

14. When I recently discovered your website and started following along, I had been thinking I'd post my very first comment. I don't know just what to express except that I actually liked reading by means of. Good writings. I'll retain on visiting this site more generally.

15. I seriously delight in what you blog about here, rather insightful and smart. 1 problem though, I’m running Firefox on Debian and parts of one’s web site structure are a bit off. I know it is not a popular setup, but it is still a thing to to maintain in mind. Just giving you a heads up.

16. Look at this knock-off Trainer for cheap clasps, electronics along with zips. Mentor purses are known for their stable steel computer hardware. Search for plastic-type zippers utilized in your false Mentor. A genuine Trainer purse attributes YKK precious metal zip fasteners in addition to smooth clasps which have been simple to fasten.If you find a leather-based or perhaps pleather Trainer indicate riveted on the filling of the tote, a person??onal located any artificial Instructor ladies handbag. Merely legitimate Trainer purses include tag cloud sewed beautifully in the within cellular lining from the bag.

17. SuckX says:

didn’t recognize of you’r words

18. Hello There. I discovered your weblog the use of msn. That is a really well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your helpful information. Thanks for the post. I will definitely return.

19. Hiya very cool site!! Guy .. Excellent .. Wonderful .. I’ll bookmark your web site and take the feeds also?I’m glad to seek out a lot of helpful info here within the post, we need develop extra techniques in this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .