Via on Feb 23, 2010

lost generation

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver

When I was young, I used to frequently complain that our generation didn’t feel a moving ethos, that idealism mixed with arrogance that young people traditionally express when they look at the state of the world they find themselves growing up into.

I got chills watching the below video, even though I knew what would happen. I won’t let you know the trick, just watch it first (11 Million already have on youtube):

Explanation via Jim Ferris, who tipped me off to this:

A palindrome reads the same backwards as forward. This video reads the exact opposite backwards as forward.  Not only does it read the opposite, the meaning is the exact opposite.
This is only a 1 minute, 44 second video and it is brilliant.   Make sure you read as well as listen…forward and backward.

This is a video that was submitted in a contest by a 20-year old.  The contest was titled “u @ 50″  by  AARP. This video won second place. When they showed it, everyone in the room was awe-struck and broke into spontaneous applause.  So simple and yet so brilliant. Take a minute and watch it.

Via the artist:

I guess I should finally get around to putting something here. I am surprised that it has received so much attention recently.

This video was created for the AARP U@50 video contest and placed second

It is based on the Argentinian Political Advertisement “The Truth” by RECREAR
Thanks to joezandstra for posting it as a video response. If you would like more info about the video you can find it here

The two songs are
Mind things
Our Lifes, Our Destinies

t r y ^ d
Beauty
both of which are available for free through the creative commons license and on the site http://www.jamendo.com/en/.

About Waylon Lewis

25 Responses to “Are we a Lost Generation? Then let’s Reverse it. {Amazing video, share if so inspired.}”

1. Richard says:

Nice Amelie soundtrack, Argentina.

2. Jacob says:

who won first in the AARP contest?

3. unknown says:

This is some white people cult shit. You all should be ashame of yourselves.

4. john says:

this is saccharine garbage.

• ben says:

you suck dude. lighten up and stop belittling other peoples struggle to express themselves.

yoiu fucking troll.

get back under your bridge.

5. DebK says:

This is beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

6. ben says:

if you feel so strongly, unplug from the NET and get busy being the change you want to see in the world…. palindromes are clever but are merely words at the end of the day.

the internet saps human vitality.

7. [...] } I just saw this posted on Elephant Journal. Less than two minutes and worth the time to watch [...]

8. Lasara Allen LasaraAllen says:

Wow, what's up with the hyper negative quotes on this post?

The video brought tears to my eyes, and made my breath catch in my throat. It was beautiful. Thank you, Way, for sharing it.

9. Now I want to write a poem or post like those that was cool. I'm going to have to give it a try. I wonder how difficult it would be.

10. Heather Grimes says:

Wow, Way!
    This made me cry into my tea.
    Bless you.
    xo.

11. Ben Ralston Ben Ralston says:

Really beautiful video. I also wonder how hard it is to make a palindrome now? I bet it’s tough!

And I also wonder who on Earth won first place, because this, in my opinion, is one of the best videos I’ve ever seen!

Thanks Way :) I”m sharing it on…

12. TamingAuthor says:

Great video. Powerful concept. The negative comment reflects the hate we have empowered in this country by allowing radical socialists, Marxists, and Communists to grab the WH bully pulpit. Unless this generation recognizes the destructive nihilism of the far left for what it is we have some rough times ahead. Kudos to Ben for his responses, F Bombs and all.

• 2small2fail says:

Unless this generation rises above contrived left/right divisions that keep attentions focused on fear of "others" while in reality serving the cause of privilege and exploitive wealth, we will have barbarically dark times ahead. Kudos to everyone intent on seeing thru the veil…

13. message is awesome!

14. [...] yet—still—we’ve shown we can reverse it, before. We’re all threatened, [...]

15. Mariana Wirth says:

Wonderful! I live in Argentina, and I can say that things has happened in a way close to this words, but it is because Lopez Murphy did not won the election for president!!!

16. No BS Generation says:

Glad to see this nice piece confront the peremptory and strategically oppressive "Lost Generation" label, which was crafted in a Madison Ave board room. Just wish, in doing so, it would mention fighting back against our (the US's) willful killing of civilians and waging war for profit, which are much more imminent and disgraceful than any "environmental" issue.