Make My Aim True: A Greek Goddess Shows Me the Way. ~ Kathryn Budig

Via on Feb 10, 2010

750208376_ow6rT-L

Anyone familiar with my writing knows that I have a major love of anything mythical, magical or supernatural.

I’ve been known to compare ex-boyfriends to vampires, write articles inspired by the Twilight series and to hand out Harry Potter books to souls in need of adventure and escape. I do this knowing the true magic that they all hold. If I’ve learned anything from my love of the mystic, it’s that it is very powerful.

Let me clarify. Will Brad Pitt show up at your doorstep in full Victorian regalia if you watch ‘Interview with the Vampire’ enough times with strong intention? No. …Although, I did see a ‘Republicans for Voldemort’ bumper sticker on a Prius in Venice yesterday — and laughed so hard I sprayed kombucha out my nose.

The kind of magic I’m talking about is the kind that you create yourself. It comes from the unwavering, deep belief that we hold the entire tool kit within ourselves and can mend ourselves once we realize we have the power. Problem is, most of us don’t have that kind of belief.

I know, because I was there not too long ago.

A string of unsavory events had left me confused and frustrated, longing for clarity and joy. I had been keeping a Roman/Greek myth book next to my bed that I would read at night to take my mind off issues that weren’t as appealing as learning the tale of the Minotaur. I found myself especially drawn to the stories of Artemis. Artemis is the Huntress or the Goddess of the Moon. She’s easily recognized by the crescent moon she wears across her brow, her short Grecian dress (well, short for those days at least) and her constant grip on a bow with a quiver set on her back.

Basically, she’s the epitome of female courage. She’s the protector of women and provider of strength. At this point I was looking for the dotted line to sign up. I wanted to become a huntress and run with Artemis. I was sick of failed relationships and letting them determine my worth. I wanted to get back to my core. I needed to remember my worth and revive my soul.

Like many true blooded women, when upset…I shop. I am a strong believer in retail therapy. On this fateful day, I was driving home from work when I got a phone call from a friend telling me she had started seeing my ex-boyfriend after a small period of time since our break-up. Clearly not thrilled, but determined to not let it hurt me, I drove to the nearest store and bee-lined in. I stood there mesmerized by the onslaught of jewelry and then, I saw it: a simple gold arrow dangling on a slender gold chain. Right next to it, just as it should be, hung a crescent moon.

I laughed to myself,

“Artemis, a goddess, is helping me shop. Perhaps I should pick up some gold lace-up Hermes sandals while I’m at it?”

Once I got over the humor of the situation, I bought the two charms. I dutifully slid the chain around my neck and immediately experienced a sense of calm and purpose. I strode confidently out of the store, shocked at the lack of weight on my shoulders.

In fact, I thought about the phone call and laughed. Was I really going to get upset over a relationship that I was happy to be out of? I gently grabbed the necklace, gave it a grateful squeeze and walked on.

From there on out I found myself holding the necklace in times of need and asking Artemis for support. My mantra became simple: Please give me strength. Please free me from obstacles. The strangest part was it worked. Each day I could feel myself becoming stronger, more aware, full of belief that my prayers to Artemis were being heard. I was so impressed that I looked up a prayer for her and started saying it to myself once a day.

The prayer goes like this:

Artemis, huntress of the moon, make my aim true. Give me goals to seek and the constant determination to achieve them.

Grant me communion with nature, allow me to live surrounded by plants and animals that I can grow, protect and nurture.

Allow me the strength and wisdom to be my own mistress, not defined by the expectations of others.

And sustain my sexuality to be as yours — wild and free as nature itself.

artemis

My girl, Artemis, doin’ her thang. . . .

I wrote the prayer on a piece of paper, and now keep it in my car fastened with the guardian angel pin that my mother gave me as a small child. I feel stronger just looking at the prayer — it’s like a constant reminder of not just who I want to be but who I already am.

Next thing you know, doors were opening up. So much opportunity presented itself that I had to start turning things down. Not to mention the powerhouse women that entered my life. I’m talking seriously mind-blowing, inspiring, earth-shaking women who wanted to support me. To help me grow and put me back on my path. I was honored, touched, inspired and grateful.

The best part was when I received the opportunity to share my strength. A dear friend was going through a world of pain. Her marriage was rocky, money was sparse and her belief in herself was nearing empty. I knew it was time to pass Artemis on. I told her my story, then put the necklace around her neck and told her that it was time to believe. To believe in her gifts, her abilities, her power. She still wears the necklace and I have seen her blossom and push obstacles out of her way. The issues are still there, but her light has been turned back on from the inside.  Whether or not she can see her own light, it’s illuminating a path where I see her getting one step closer every day.

Does this mean that I actually think there’s a goddess out in the woods that dances in the moonlight when she learns I’m responding well to her gifts? Well, hey, maybe. Stranger things have happened. But what really matters is that the principle of a goddess reminded me that I am inherently just like her and that no arrow, relationship or person can shake that belief.

And that we share fabulous taste in jewelry.

*This is dedicated to my dear friend and huntress sister, who now proudly wears the arrow around her neck. Stay strong and I love you.

13045_223256076339_538051339_4229027_5409387_nWhen Kathryn isn’t nose deep in a good myth she is a lover and teacher of yoga by day, a wizard in the kitchen by dinner time and a professional dog snuggler at night.

Follow Kathryn @kathrynbudig or on Facebook

kathrynbudig.com

photo credits: Andrew Stephen Cebulka of HeirloomCreative Photography and James Brown

About Kathryn Budig

Kathryn is a lover and teacher of yoga by day, a wizard in the kitchen by dinner time and a professional dog snuggler at night. Follow Kathryn @kathrynbudig or on Facebook. Find her at kathrynbudig.com

27 Responses to “Make My Aim True: A Greek Goddess Shows Me the Way. ~ Kathryn Budig”

1. leah kefgen says:

Thank you, Kathryn! This was exactly what I needed to read right now.

2. Farnoosh Brock Farnoosh says:

What's not to love here….Kathryn, strong women, Goddess, and a heart full of bravery and spirit! thank you Kathryn!

3. You'd be an amazing Kyudo practitioner: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2009/04/kyudo/ probably can find way to learn at LA Shambhala Center?

4. johann says:

yoga with Artemis !

5. Grace says:

you rock :) thanks so much for all your wonderful words :)

6. Rachel Steele rachel says:

What a great article and mantra/prayer! Also, I love that the photos were taken by Andrew, he is one of my favorite yoga teachers!

7. Amy Kenney says:

Great article! i loved that you grounded it in what is real for women & added humor. I posted to my fb and to the Boulder Body Wear one as well – a good reminder to all of us to keep our chins up, backs straight (as my mother would say) and get on with being truly amazing.

8. Juliánna says:

Kathryn, you rock. As a fellow yoga teacher, I have a lot to learn from you. Thank you for sharing.

9. amanda says:

Wow that is beautiful and it is a path I too have been traveling with Artemis as well. Thank you and blessings to a fellow huntress. Oh and by the way there is a Goddess in the woods who dances under the moonlight when we respond to her gifts I have seen her….

10. Silveruntress says:

You are so AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Artemis is my alltime favorite goddess. Even when I was 1 I had a strong connection with her, though i didn't yet know it. My teddy bear had a moon on it and I named it luna , My favorite show was sailor moon, I love hunting, and I would always look at the moon and feel safe. I even bought a silver moon and star neclace.

11. patrick says:

i love artemis i say she is the get godess

12. patrick says:

sorry of my last mistake she is the best

13. Michaela says:

This isn’t right. Non of it! Artimis is not of someone that you take of false idle!!! A Goddess this women may think she is, But nothing is to say that you are a true goddess. may you Bare children for you are not a virgin god of chastity!

• Artemis says:

I'm maybe not quite understanding you, but why do you think of Artemis as a "false idol"? She certainly is no more so than the other Olympian deities (and arguably less so–at least she's not one of the male consorts who was made a "god" over the women by patriarchy).

And one can bear children (be careful about 'baring' them when it's chilly) and still have devotion to a goddess representing chastity/virginity–for one thing, 'virginity' can sometimes be used to mean independence (especially in women, from "having" to depend on a man), and for another thing, Artemis was also the goddess of childbirth. According to Greek legend, she was first-born from her mother Leto, and immediately helped deliver her twin brother Apollo.

14. WOW – this is an unbelievably well written article. Can't wait to design the Artemis inspired mala with you!

15. Diane says:

Beautiful, Kathryn.
    Artemis is the Goddess in our zodiac sign / Cancer Yogastrology workbook — we learn about ourselves from her symbolism. Here's the workbook description:
    "Cancer rules the chest. This zodiac sign is associated with whatever we hold close to the chest, such as nurturing, maternal instincts, and emotions. Ruled by the moon — who can resist the moon? — our theme is open-heartedness. Meet Artemis aka Diana, huntress Goddess of the Moon; commune with her and the natural world; be self-defining yet surrendered to the awesome cycles of nature. Dive into this Water sign. Meet the Moon Goddess. Give birth to your very own Self."

16. Thank you Kathryn. A "divine" reminder that we are always looked after and protected by forces so great ! :-)

17. Jess says:

Kathryn thank you for sharing this – I really needed this reminder today – I'm feeling a little empty and coming to the end of something myself – time to hit the local jeweller I think…

18. Ellen says:

Beautiful katherine…thank you fro the inspiration as I go through a difficult time…this has helped so much…Blessings!

19. [...] soon as he returned to Greece Zaixos gave away his armor and sword, put his younger brother in charge of the family estate and, [...]

20. [...] started the class off with an introduction to her life mantra, a prayer to the goddess Artemis, “make my aim true, give me goals and the means to achieve them,” which she summarized [...]

21. Tammy St Dennis says:

That was an inspriing article. I am where you used to be at. I am confused and frustrated like the way you once were. I am 44, almost 45 and just now I am what I call"broken". reading your article made me feel better. thanks

22. [...] Aim True has been Kathryn’s personal mantra since 2010. Based on a prayer to the Greek Goddess Artemis, her mantra came to her at a cross roads in her life. [...]

23. [...] Aim true. She quotes Artemis, “Make my aim true. Give me goals to seek and the constant determination [...]

24. Kayla says:

Something strange happened to me. I too love the fantasy/ mythological things. I was reading this story and it had Artemis in it. I took it soon myself to study Artemis, I learned all she was about and was inspired. She was a strong independent women. (plus I LOVE archery) I have a necklace too, it’s simple a gold bow with two arrows crosses in front. Everyday I get up, clutch my necklace and pray to her. I truly believe she answers back. I have never believed in a god before but now I do. She helps me get on with life and makes me feel stronger.