A Week of Eating In?!

Via on Feb 25, 2010

norman rockwell eat at home cooking
the week of eating in

The Week of Eating In. It sounds so homey and cozy; seven whole days of browsing recipes, cooking up new creations and spending time with family and friends around the kitchen table. Wait one second — we need an official, designated week to do these things?

eating in how to

Sure, this Week of Eating In, sponsored by the Huffington Post, advocates for a focus on what most of us already know: eating at home means cooking from scratch and knowing what goes on your plate, which in turn indicates healthier food that saves you money. But when did eating out transition from luxury to standard occurrence, so much so that we have to make a personal commitment to not doing it for an entire week?

Have we become so jaded in our Crackberry/iPhone society that we really have no time to put towards cooking meals? Points to Huffington Post for reminding us that cooking at home is important, but a big slap to society that has made eating out the norm.

Yes, many of us work high-stress, high-hour jobs, and could easily make the argument that we don’t have time to cook for ourselves. But those high-stress jobs should make us want to eat at home all the more; not only does eating better affect how we feel physically, the simple act of cooking affects our emotional well-being, a form of therapy that’s goof for reducing stress and doesn’t require a doctor signed prescription.

This Week of Eating In is practically another version of Earth Day. We know perfectly well that we should be thinking about the environment on a daily basis, but we still feel the need to write big checks to eco-oriented nonprofits on April 22nd of every year, giving a lot of hype to an issue that should simply be ingrained as a part of an everyday routine.

So yes, commit to eating in this week, but then take a serious look at your life and think about why you need to force yourself to do so. We could all benefit from life changes that allow us to eating better, and slower. Maybe then we would be less seduced by trendy, week-long tasks, and more committed to long term sustainable lifestyle changes that actually make a difference.

Desktop/Tablet banner

About Anna Brones

Anna Brones is a writer and digital communications professional with a love of travel, food and bicycles. A believer in connecting passionate people to do good, she uses her marketing and production savvy to work on cause driven issues and amplify stories that need to be told. She is also the founder and editor of Foodie Underground where she pens stories of kale and sea salt.

699 views

Elephriends - Mindful Partners

190x1902-EJ-clothing

9 Responses to “A Week of Eating In?!”

1. Alden Wicker Alden says:

It's true, we should have enough time and always be super pumped about cooking our own food. But as someone who is doing The Week of Eating In myself while working a job that usually lets out around 7, I can say that it is a serious commitment.

Last night I got home at 8:30. I spent 45 minutes cooking, another half hour cleaning dishes left from all the cooking I've been doing, 45 minutes to blog, and then straight to bed.

Such is modern life, I guess .

• Anna Brones Anna says:

Yes, such is modern life… and I am in no way criticizing people for eating out because they have limited amounts of time.

But I do think that it should make us think strongly about our life choices and how we have traded eating and being healthy for downing espressos and working 80 hour weeks.

And this is coming from someone that spends a fair amount of time on her Crackberry and in front of a computer screen… but I do believe that this is a discussion that we should all be engaging in.

2. Ann Stockdale says:

I like to make a big pot of something like chili or beans and greens and eat it for a few days. Or being short on time today, I put a squash ( cut in half with some olive oil)and some gold potatoes in the oven for half hour. pretty yummy lunch !

• Wrote this below, but: As an ign't eco-minded bachelor, I'd love some simple instructions on how to prepare a huge pot of beans, rice, chili, something healthy and simple—and how best to store it. Last time I made such a pot, it became a big solid mess after a day or so.

3. shakti says:

wow! i did not know there was such a week. kudos to its creators!
    in many asian immigrant communities such as the one i belong to, eating in is a way of life.
    most families will prefer homecooked meals over fast food or takeout. healthier, cheaper.
    to avoid the day-to-day struggle of cooking from scratch, cook big batches of one or many dishes on the weekend. have your precooked meals for lunch, dinner daily, you’ve saved $$.
    for the price of one Big Mac, I could arguably whip up one big dish that could last me a week. seriously.
    Eating out saves time. Eating in saves calories, dollars. Big bonus: prepping a meal does get meditative. Cooking is healthy for the mind too.

4. Pat says:

I usually cook on the weekend and make enough to last for lunch and dinner all week. I make a crock pot of beans, rice cooker of rice, pot of wheat berries, large pot of oatmeal, etc. With frozen vegetables, jarred salsa or Marinara sauce, fresh fruit/vegs and potatoes/sweet potatoes I manage to have a full week of varied meals. And it is like a meditation cooking all that in one or two days. I have bamboo table utensils so don't have to deal with the guilt of plastic.

• As an ign't eco-minded bachelor, I'd love some simple instructions on how to prepare a huge pot of beans, rice, chili, something healthy and simple—and how best to store it. Last time I made such a pot, it became a big solid mess after a day or so.

5. Nate says:

as with all opinion pieces, the media pigeonholes the masses into one lump, neglecting the fact there are those out there that have broken that mold a long time ago.

Every night, my family and I sit down at our dinner table for dinner together. It is not unusual to us, we enjoy it. I was raised to sit and eat with my family, as was my wife. Does this mean we're outsiders cause we sit down to eat homecooked meals every night?

6. I’ve invited the whole family round this xmas for a big dinner, so the roast is pretty important! I found an archive of ideas at this roast recipe site, but cant decide on anyone in particular – there’s so many to choose from! It is fun planning such a big christmas dinner though!