This quote via Steve Jobs makes me want to cry.

Via on Mar 27, 2010

Are you willing to lose everything to keep the one thing that matters?

Our elephriend and columnist Chris Courtney put this quote on his FB Wall today.

"steve jobs" young "living room" no furniture mansion home house

“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other’s opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become.

Everything else is secondary.”

~ Steve Jobs

Thing is, in our self-help culture, the above can read like a cute, trite, positive aphorism. It’s not.

Are you willing to lose everything to keep the one thing that matters? Very, very few of us are.

About elephant journal

(We use super-secure PayPal—but don't worry—you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

20 Responses to “This quote via Steve Jobs makes me want to cry.”

1. Enjoyed this. Thanks.

There's a lot I don't like about Jobs, but he certainly has done a lot of great stuff, and in his old age he's mellowing into a very inspiring speaker. I'm not sure his younger self would recognize himself in the speeches he makes today. I guess a near-death experience will do that to a person.

Bob Weisenberg

• dianne rohr says:

Bob, I think that just growing older effects these changes, no near-death experience needed; we all become somewhat mortified by the arrogance of our youth as we become as burnished metal.

2. Live your values, live your truth…if you dare!

3. 2005 Standford Commencment, right? Totally – makes me a blubbering mess.

"Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish."

4. tamara says:

I love this. Right now I'm going through a very transitory period where I am having to ask myself this very question.
    "Are you willing to lose everything to keep the one thing that matters?" Sometimes there is no choice but to sacrifice all we have and offer all that we are in order to pursue that which feels to be our calling. So far, I keep returning to the idea that by letting go of the one thing that really matters – THAT is where we truly experience Loss.

"Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it." ~Buddha
    @superspiritgirl

• chiara ghiron says:

The same is happening to me Tamara. Tough, though, isn't it?
      But reading things like this helps a lot when you are risking to step back from what your intuition says.

5. april says:

Yes…I am about to lose everything…so doing what matters is all I got going on..

6. [...] and leave you with the below quote from Steve Jobs which I read on one of my favourite sites today, Elephant Journal. You can have all the goals in the world – and it’s good to have them – but they [...]

7. Kathi Kizirnis says:

"The important thing is this: To be ready at any moment to sacrifice who you are for who you could become." — Charles DuBois

8. [...] Bonus: This quote via Steve Jobs makes me want to cry. [...]

9. bj galvan says:

It exactly what Krishna tells Arjuna in the Bhagadvad Gita, Anusara Immersion 3. Ya gotta love Steve Jobs, not to mention Krishna and Arjuna!

10. LAFinfinger says:

Thank you for this. I needed to see this.

11. Claudia says:

He's got it! "Re the photo: “This was a very typical time [1982]. I was single. All you needed was a cup of tea, a light, and your stereo, you know, and that’s what I had.” Ha, and here we are now, thanks to him, with all the gadgets and gismos of the computer world. :-) Wishing him all the best on his final journey where non of those will matter.

12. bakebooks says:

This makes me want to cry…

13. Bria says:

That quote really touched me, too. I, too, put it on my FB status a few days ago. More of his great quotes can be found here: http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/08/24/steve-jobs

14. Faith says:

It takes immense courage to do this. Mother Teresa did the same thing, bucking her order of nuns to begin caring for dying people on the street.

Sometimes, though, I think the inner prompts aren't so immediately life-changing, more of a choice to take a walk rather than watch tv, or meditate rather than complain to a friend. These do have long term effects, changing one's life, but not in such an immediate dramatic way.

15. [...] This quote by Steve Jobs makes me want to cry. [...]

16. Reading this again, now that he has passed on, I feel sad, grateful, and inspired to courageously follow my heart & intuition. Thanks Steve – be at peace!

17. Lorenzo says:

Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be on

the internet the simplest factor to be mindful

of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed at the same time

as people consider worries that they just do not realize about.

You controlled to hit the nail upon the highest and outlined out the entire thing with no need side-effects , other people could take

a signal. Will likely be again to get more.

my web-site: Lorenzo