Boulder Canyon Chips: the greenest bag of chips on the Planet.

Via on May 24, 2010

“My official fave Potato Chip on & for Planet Earth.”

Why can’t all chip companies follow Boulder Canyon’s lead and put their yummies in a compostable bag?

The only way they could be greener, more eco-responsible, healthier, would be to be 100% organic, and gmo-free.

Here’s the first thing I loooooove about Boulder Canyon Potato Chips: the bags are compostable. That represents a sea change in natural products. As a “conscious consumer,” I hate being responsible for trash that goes to landfills and rots, or rather doesn’t rot—it just sits there breeding methane and fouling our fine earth for the rest of my days, and on.

Therefore, my kitchen trash can is the size of my head (pretty big, as far as heads go; pretty small, as far as trash cans go). I hate buying plastic, or anything non-compostable (translation: plastic is toxic, and forever).

As for taste, mmmm mmmm good. The chips are baked, not fried, so they’re healthier. But don’t worry, they taste like chips should: addictive.

One minor complaint: I don’t know if I’ve become wimpy in my old age, but the chips are kind of hard, and sharp, and hurt my mouth sometimes.

All in all, I’ll give these chips an A. Not organic, but natural (which means something, but not a lot). Compostable bags FTW. Yummy, but a bit hard and sharp. I’ll be buying them myself from now on, and I recommend you all do, too.

Give ‘em a go, and let us know what you think.

[galleria]

About Waylon Lewis

Elephriends - Mindful Partners

190x1902-EJ-clothing

13 Responses to “Boulder Canyon Chips: the greenest bag of chips on the Planet.”

1. Iris says:

LOVE these chips. The bags are compostable according to whom??? And to say they're the greenest chips despite not being organic… c'mon now!!

• Good point. They're compostable according to them…click the link above. "Greenest chips," imho, including packaging. Packaging is a huuuge source of waste.

But amen, I personally dislike the whole "100% natural" term so many products use…it's technically meaningless.

Their ingredient list, however, is just about as short as can be (Pollan points).

• Iris says:

Ah, thanks for pointing out the link. As an employee of Eco-Cycle (and regular eco-citizen), I/we like to be on top of this kind of thing. We look for certification from a company called BPI <a href="http:// [http://www.bpiworld.org]" target="_blank"> <a href="http://http://www.bpiworld.org” target=”_blank”>[http://www.bpiworld.org] before we start informing folks on new compostable packaging for products in the area. Not seeing anything from BPI on their website. We'll look into it. Thanks! And yeah, def. got Pollan points. Good enough for me.. I'm addicted to these chips.

• Hi Iris,

Thank you for pointing out the BPI certification. As Consumer Relations Associate for the company, I wrote the Boulder Canyon compostable blog post on bouldercanyonfoods.com, and I accidentally left out that the new bags are BPI certified. We will make sure to inform people of that going forward. Glad you enjoy the chips!

Thanks,

Annie Janssen

2. Ruby says:

Sunchips are very tasty, made of whole grains and also have a compostable bag.

3. Ripstophair says:

…no argument! As I read this I happen to have a bag of Salt and Malt Vinegar chips not 2 feet away. But, it is ………empty.

4. Mary says:

It's great that more companies are going to compostable/biodegradable packaging. I have seen Sun Chips new bags but jeez….they are soooo loud. Better pour them into a bowl before you eat them.

5. Allen C says:

I enjoyed reading this post, however I must say these chips are not "Baked!!" They are in fact "Kettle Cooked" which means "Fried in small batches!"

6. HY3NAS4 says:

If you want totally biodegradable and compostable chip bags.

7. [...] this year, Sun Chips became the first high-profile food company to get eco-responsible in its packaging—forgoing perma-plastic, which [...]

8. Thom says:

GMO is invasive to other crop seeds so I find this hypocritical. So this company sends 30 employees to clean up a river and remove invasive species when they are sending out GMO products made from invasive GMO seeds world-wide. Very sad. I will never purchase these "Natural" products again. Are they owned by Monsanto by any chance?