Boulder’s Aubrey Sacco missing in Nepal. Update.

Via on May 12, 2010

aubrey sacco

Update via Greeley Tribune: Friends, Family gather to celebrate Aubrey, and maintain hope.

Update via AP: “The father of a Colorado woman who went missing while hiking in Nepal has discovered her laptop and journal in the last hotel where she stayed.”

Update via Greeley Tribune: “If my daughter doesn’t show up on that plane,” Paul Sacco said, “I’m leaving Sunday to go get her.”

Every Hour Counts: Boulderite and Colorado native Aubrey Sacco, 23, is missing in Nepal after failing to contact her family after a solo, week-long trek in the region of Langtang.

via our friend Jen Newell

A Facebook group has been created for Aubrey.

Aubrey is a yoga instructor, artist, and 2009 graduate of the University of Colorado. She has been traveling through Nepal, India and Sri Lanka to help further her yoga skills while volunteering at schools and teaching English, including at Pranava Yogadhama Trust in Mysore, India.

Aubrey began her trek on April 20 after arriving in Shyabrubesi by bus from Kathmandu. She planned on following the Lonely Planet guide and was scheduled to return on or around April 30, but her family has not heard from her since her check-in at Dhunche on April 20. Although strikes in Nepal may hinder abilities for her to reach people outside of the country, the nine days since her anticipated return in which she has gone without speaking to her family is raising considerable concern.

Connie Sacco, Aubrey’s mother, says she has received conflicting information from news sources in Nepal and the embassy.

“The Nepal News believes that the stranded tourists have returned,” Connie says. “But the Office of Citizen Services, a government agency, says that there are still many stranded tourists and truckers in the country.”

Connie and her husband, Paul, have been on the phone and answering e-mails almost constantly in efforts to find their daughter.

Agencies in Nepal as well as the US Embassy have been contacted and are working to find Aubrey. Connie says that the response to Aubrey’s disappearance has been overwhelming.

“Everyone has been really helpful and we’ve gotten a lot of response,” Connie tells us. “We need to keep networking and letting people know that Aubrey is missing. If anyone feels like they’ve seen her, they need to let us know where that might have been.”

The family asks that anyone with information or contacts who may be able to help contact them at saccolaw@gmail.com.

They also ask that people help spread the word on Facebook, Twitter, or any other social media.

Please spread the word and help find a well-loved, talented member of the Boulder community!

About elephant journal

26 Responses to “Boulder’s Aubrey Sacco missing in Nepal. Update.”

1. [...] ahold of Connie, Aubrey’s mother, I had a detailed explanation of the circumstances and a piece to go with. Also, the Daily Camera was looking for information. By evening, the Daily Camera / Colorado Daily, [...]

2. Jen says:

Thank you everyone for your tweets and re-tweets! Please keep spreading the word!

3. NellaLou says:

I have sent this to all my trekking contacts in the Himalaya and asked them to send it on to their contacts.

This girl missing in Nepal.Last seen @ Shyabrubesi/Dhunche Apr. 20.http://tinyurl.com/28y2q63 (photo) Help find her #Aubreymissing #Nepal

4. Panchenlama says:

One word of suggestion: channels of information in Nepal are the coolies, the Sherpas that travel by foot all over the mountaineous areas of Nepal, carrying merchandises from one place to another, in huge baskets, which they carry on their backs.. They can be a good source of information, since they know all the news.

5. Ditka says:

you should post on trekinfo.com thats the trek site for nepal and where the climbers/hikers go. also, 14ers.com

6. teresa robbins says:

I forwarded an old friend's contact information that is a professor in Kathmandu to the email address you had listed; he could potentially be of service. He's Tibetan and co-guided our trekking trip in the Himalayas several years ago. My thoughts go out to her family –

7. Bryce says:

I sent a request to Explorersweb.com, a popular Himalayan climbing news website, asking them to post an alert regarding Aubrey's disappearance.

8. Kishan says:

It’s most important to know in which hotel/guesthuse she was seen. Dhunche/Syabrubensi is not big place. If someone shows picture to each hotel/guesthouse, we can find out something. On top of that, people try their best to be in touch with the guest here either to make good impression through hospitality or to get Trekking job…. She might have told about her plan (where to go? what to do? when, etc)to the people of hotel/guesthouse…..

9. piracte hippie says:

Yup she's dead. Probably murdered, raped something nasty. Why does the family continue, do they really need to know all the details? People don't just fall of mountain in the Langtang, if they do they will be found in hours not days or weeks.

Paul Saccos have set up a web site asking for donation. Why should we donate to a dead person? Saccos seems very rich already…

• nothingsimpossible says:

Freedom of speech yes, but such verbal pollution, here, No, many hearts are yearning to hear, hold and reach out to this young woman and her loving family and friends, as a nurse, I aim to soften the hardness of "reality", as well as help families deal with reality straight on as needed.Details can bring closure, not always and not for all but I've seen it bring great relief to many. I can't go wrong here, kindness extended is kindness received, even when the situation(s) is grim there is always room for lessening the pain. The family shows they believe Aubrey needs their help, are you able to sense their desperation? I would do no less for my children. Peace and Understanding.

• piracte hippie says:

I think people in Nepal and else where are stinging them along.

In America when someone goes missing what do you? You look for them form search parties etc. But this is NOT America, It is Nepal, on the most corrupt and poor countries in the world. In Nepal when you go 'missing' it means something else.

I realize they are desperate but false hope has never helped anyone. Why do they need donations? Because the Nepalese are lining up to take their money. They are probably telling them all sort of stories oh you can hire a 10 guides and we will find them etc. It may be worse the saccos family may be extorted in Nepal in one way or another.

People don't want to believe what Nepal is and what it is really like. I am sorry to say i know Nepal, and there is no happy ending here.

• nothingsimpossible says:

Of course I can see your point(s) and I have absolutely NO knowledge of the inner workings of Nepal, with concerns such as this or any other if truth be told. Although I may be idealistic (some of the time) and an optimist (most of the time) I hear your awareness and supposed insiders perspective and understanding of the "search". I wouldn't want the family to be duped let alone extorted either, but again as a parent, I could not rest until I had some definite answers or conclusion. Sincere question, do you see anyway for the family to have clarity at this point and not have false hope? Is there something you could suggest that would be helpful?

• guest says:

Shut up idiot, that girl was a rich brat who thought the world and foreign countries were her playground just cause she's got a rich daddy. Now she's dead and yes, why those RICH people Saccos are asking for money? They are not low income people. Should have policed their daughter better and taughter her some decency.

• containedflame says:

Spew your venom elsewhere, everyone here knows the other side of the coin. No need to try and fill in the darkness with more detail. As far as a cause and donation. If there is excess money it could be used to set up a fund or charity in her name. It is obvious if you took the time to research the articles with the links here that there are minimal expenditures from the family in continuing a search. That already happened in early March when her Father was over there. Please your not enlightening anyone with your expertise in Nepalese cross cultural interaction. Good and bad people do exist and I'm sure that this family is using their judgement on where to allocate their time and resources well. Want to debate the romanticized Nepal of days gone, sure, there's better places though traveler.

• jennyjenjen says:

Wow, that's utterly awful of you to post such a thing.

10. Ihope says:

I have been following this since the beginning. So I'm gonna throw this out there, really out there, but I think if grasping for strings is occurring then someone should get a natal chart and do a reading with an ephemerus. Progressions, transits, astrological weather for the time and place and any other work up that can be done. By a professional. That means 30+ years as a dedicated and actively working astrologer. A door may have opened and perhaps she took it, but who knows it may provide answers albeit vague ones. If anyone has any real experience with astrology and is close to the family bring it up. IF you have worked with someone who has put in the work you know this is a credible art however esoteric it may be. Love and light to all those feeling the effects of this very tough story.

11. nothingsimpossible says:

Question, where are the remote viewers, those specially and specifically trained to pinpoint the "target" person, object, locale in detail? I find it difficult to believe that the lama psychics can't perceive Aubreys whereabouts, I feel unsettled about that if the news reports are founded. My experiences with "sensitives" that can track makes me wonder if the delay is veiled and or otherwordly. I feel drawn to help her and will continue to give my support.

12. Rosemary says:

I feel the astrology idea is a very good one because they can be very accurate.
    While I don’t know any of the astrologers on Forensic Astrology I have read some of them and am surprised at how accurate an astrologer is that is called Tuba as she does charts and writes about what she picks up about crimes and missing people.

I would like to see what she would come up on Aubrey Sacco if she has not already done a chart and I have not been checking her posts recently but it might be interesting for those who log on to Forensic Astrology and see if she has done a chart on Aubrey I’ve been meaning to visit the site again and see if what her chart reveals sounds anything like my Remote Viewing Information I have received and I have passed that along already.

I was surprised to find on occassion the complicated charts done by Astrologers offers some of the same information that I gather as a Remote Viewer but I still like to compare my notes to others and see if together we can work to solve some of these cases.

13. Yesterday I stumbled into a yoga class in honor of Aubrey: http://joshuaberman.tumblr.com/post/996072223/aub

14. elgin mls says:

I’m not such an expert when it comes to this. Useful read, appreciate your posting this.

15. [...] 24, remains missing in Nepal, yet there is no evidence that she is injured or not living. Her last known whereabouts is the Lama [...]

16. nepali says:

Hello there, just was alert to your blog thru Google, and located that it is really informative. I’m going to watch out for brussels. I will be grateful if you continue this in future. Numerous people shall be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

17. [...] Boulder’s Aubrey Sacco missing in Nepal. Update.. Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. [...]