10 Reasons to Ditch the Microwave.

Via on Jun 16, 2010

Kill Your Microwave.

A convenience “cooking” method that was invented by the Nazis, refined by the notorious company Raytheon and banned by Russia in the 70s, the microwave has no place in my kitchen.

Some are still convinced that these radiation boxes are safe, nuke hot meals with efficiency and have no side-effects. Really? There are some scary facts that prove otherwise. If these don’t provoke you to adopt slower cooking methods, not sure what will.

1. Remember the lawsuit that involved a hospital warming blood in a microwave prior to a blood transfusion, resulting in the death of a women prior to a hip surgery?
  2. Research has proven that heating breast milk or baby formula in a microwave destroys vital vitamins and nutrients.
  3. Heating prepared meats in a microwave sufficiently for human consumption created:
    * d-Nitrosodiethanolamine (a well-known cancer-causing agent)
    * Destabilization of active protein biomolecular compounds
    * Creation of a binding effect to radioactivity in the atmosphere
    * Creation of cancer-causing agents within protein-hydrosylate compounds in milk and cereal grains;
  4. Microwave emissions also caused alteration in the catabolic (breakdown) behavior of glucoside – and galactoside – elements within frozen fruits when thawed in this way;
  5. Microwaves altered catabolic behavior of plant-alkaloids when raw, cooked or frozen vegetables were exposed for even very short periods;
  6. Cancer-causing free radicals were formed within certain trace-mineral molecular formations in plant substances, especially in raw root vegetables;
  7. Ingestion of micro-waved foods caused a higher percentage of cancerous cells in blood;
  8. Due to chemical alterations within food substances, malfunctions occurred in the lymphatic system, causing degeneration of the immune system=s capacity to protect itself against cancerous growth;
  9. The unstable catabolism of micro-waved foods altered their elemental food substances, leading to disorders in the digestive system; Those ingesting micro-waved foods showed a statistically higher incidence of stomach and intestinal cancers, plus a general degeneration of peripheral cellular tissues with a gradual breakdown of digestive and excretory system function;
  10. Microwave exposure caused significant decreases in the nutritional value of all foods studied, particularly:
    * A decrease in the bioavailability of B-complex vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E, essential minerals and lipotrophics
    * Destruction of the nutritional value of nucleoproteins in meats
    * Lowering of the metabolic activity of alkaloids, glucosides, galactosides and nitrilosides (all basic plant substances in fruits and vegetables)
    * Marked acceleration of structural disintegration in all foods.

These facts can be found here and here, and there are many other sources.

Remember that restaurants are notorious microwave users.

About Saraswati J.

Yogi, Jewelry Designer, Jyotishi & Wordsmith + Masters student of Body-centered Expressive Art Therapy. ::: Jyotish for Artists, Mystics and Healers www.swatijrjyotish.com ::: Swati Jr* Jewelry {Be A Goddess} www.swatijrjewelry.com ::: Twitter and Instagram @swatijr #BeAGoddess

If you liked this, you might like these:

38 Responses to “10 Reasons to Ditch the Microwave.”

1. Doug says:

Thanks for sharing all of this research.

2. Ron says:

Pseudoscience is the real thing to fear here. Not your microwave. Heat (infrared) is still radiation. Just a different wavelength than microwave radiation; slightly longer. We humans tend to respond poorly to decreasing, not increasing, wavelengths of radiation, i.e. UV, x-rays, gamma rays. Cooking food in ANY way increases the amount of free radicals, introduces carcinogens, and lowers the nutritional content. These 10 points are easily explained by the introduction of any radiation. Except for point 1: microwaves have a wavelength that happens to excite water molecules more efficiently that other types of heat (this efficiency is why they can heat foods faster; they are heating the water in the food), which would evaporate water from a fluid leaving it in higher a concentration. The article by the OCA's site, lists microwaves as the problem but then argues for raw foods; it makes no claims of heating in any other form. Even though heating at all produces similar results.

3. Bryan says:

Who cares about your content,
    your obnoxious pop up ad assures I won't read or ever return to your sight.
    And definetly prohibits me from linking to you.

• Foo bar says:

It is spelled "site" ….. but no worries…. the author spells women with a "y" so apparently anything goes……

4. Annabell says:

I have been saying the same thing for years but not in so many words. I recently bought one anyways because I needed to heat one of those heatable lumbar wraps. I can't find another use for it.

5. SteleEly says:

For the current and future life on this planet, I will celebrate to use of that groovy microwave oven for some of my cooking. And even if someone can prove that there is a slight risk in using that puppy, I will still keep using it.

Every use of the more efficient microwave when cooking — rather than a conventional stove — is good for our planet now and for years to come.

"Success gurus" say we have to take risks if we are going to reach our goals. Well, one of my goals is to help protect this sweet blue orb.

So I am going to go out on the microwave cooking limb a bit. Yep — I'm gonna keep using that white box to cook my mostly vegetarian fare — because it's fair to others.

And even though I am (usually) soooo loving this life of mine on this magic planet — I will take other chances for my planet everyday — both health wise and financially.

For life, Stele Ely Greentopia.org

• Matt says:

Very fair argument (as far as energy savings are concerned). But I personally prefer to eat my food in forms that are delicious… and, as Alton Brown would say… microwaved foods are not Good Eats.

6. steleely says:

But yowzer baby — we are not alone. There are millions of other eco warriors out there who are risking their treasured lives everyday for all the life that loves to live — and most are pretty chipper about it and some a wicked old.

My take on the sci. Microwave ovens move the bi-polar water molecules back and forth using rapid magnetic field polarity change. Conventional heat moves water and other molecules around in a more random fashion. Because the food is rotated on a platter in most microwaves, the back and forth movement is more random than if it were sitting still.

For life, Stele Ely Greentopia.org

7. joseph says:

i tend to doubt the content of any article that begins with a hook attempting to engage my fears. additionally, there's no evidence to back your claim of the russians banning the microwave, only internet rumor. which then leads me to doubt the rest of your content, especially since you lack scientific credentials. please post a link to a peer-reviewed article which conclusively shows that microwaving is more harmful than any other method of heating up food, and i might consider your claims.

• swati jr* says:

i first read the article in a European scientific journal laced with numerous citations from various studies. doubt you can get your hands on that, but if you're curious enough maybe. in America, we like to get our validation from "scientific" research sponsored big, corporate interest and government agenda. i prefer common sense?? 1,000 years ago did we need microwaves to cook food? no. and cancer wasn't a pandemic either. go figure.

• Christophah says:

Did it ever occur to you think cancer wasn’t widespread a thousand years ago because the average human lifespan prior to the industrial revolution was around 40?

I’m okay with giving up all modern conveniences as long as you’re all right with dying at 39.

• swati jr* says:

according to who? western cultures? look to the Vedic texts and i think you'll find a different story. beyond the Ved, there are also other countless examples of health and LONG lifespans that are far longer than 39 in various regions. and no microwaves were used in that process. cancer was also rare to nonexistent. it still is in many of the indigenous cultures around the world who have little to no contact with Westernization. i can't change your consciousness, however, eating nuked food can. enjoy the loss of vital nutrients and how that effects your brain!

• Anna N. says:

have you considered that there is no cancer because people die before the cancer is diagnosed..ups. in most cases it needs "western medicine" to detect cancer in the first place..not a good example!

8. [...] say anything about hydrogenated fats, diet colas, artificial sweeteners, canned or frozen items, or microwave ovens. They were interested in the big picture, because when you take care of the big picture not only [...]

9. Charlie says:

I think everyone should take a look at the book "The Secret Life of Water". It looks at water particles microscopically and how they change their shape depending on their environment. Water that had been microwaved produced the same image as the water that was "shown" a picture of the devil. Even words can affect water, as shown on the documentary "What the Bleep Do We Know?" Each glass of water had a different word written on it. Words like Love and Happiness produced beautiful images and hateful words produced water particles that were in disarray. This is more important than we can even imagine, considering our bodies are made up of at least 80% water. Believe it or not, but it's worth it to at least ponder how your environment affects the water in your body.

10. swati jr* says:

based on these comments, some of you have had a little too much microwaved Kool-aide. let me know how that works out for yuh!

11. Thank you, that wasreally interesting. Actually,I was born in Moscow in 1969 but my mother and I fled and settled here to England. Honestly, I didnt really care much about my russian past until my mother died recently, now I’ve been trying to find out as much as I possibly can. Seemed like the food was as good a place as any to start ! You dont generally hear much about russian cooking do you? Anyway, I found a lot of russian recipes here that other readers might be interested in too.

12. JaoNegro says:

…because it's 68 degree out and cloudy outside this morning, and I want bacon.

13. Anna nonymous says:

I wish for more fact checking and publishing actual science instead of pseudo-science out of context . another sad piece of "I am not a scientist but I read that on the internet and it sounds scientific" and "because it's written it must be true" :(
    I don't have a microwave and my main reason is space. and I realized that I eat more mindfully if I have to turn on the stove instead of "popping it in the micro".

14. Zman says:

Everything gives you cancer/there’s no cure, there’s no answer. Joe Jackson

15. CheckYourFacts says:

The Nazi's did NOT invent the microwave. Goodness. Some people will do anything for blog hits.

• Applebum says:

there are videos you can check out about Hiters microwave experiments of his victims. they're a little hard to watch but that it is a FACT. You can make that up when his been documented in history books

16. BrightBlue says:

You need to cite sources here. Otherwise, I don't have any way to know if the "changes" are 1) caused by microwave heating or just by heating and 2) if these changes are actually bad. Your link from your first point is to a site that is hardly reputable. Put the junk science away and get some real citations.

17. yada yada says:

And kind of ironic for this rant to be on the internet….probably one of the most cancer causing technologies ever invented.

18. JRM says:

i don't know what's more hilarious the "facts" in this article, or the fact that you call yourself a "wordsmith" when the article that you copy and pasted your entire argument from dosen't have a single proper citation.

i don't use my microwave because it makes the food taste bad. it's fine if you decide not to own one, but you don't have to make up stories about how evil they are.

19. swati says:

I originally read these facts in an European science journal- one that I found in a magazine stack at a friends house. A friend that is a world renowned GMO researcher and best selling author mind you. Obviously for me, this is pertinent information. For those who wish to believe otherwise, suit yourself and enjoy the free radicals!

• oz_ says:

Speaking of research, are you familiar with current research into the malleability and unreliable nature of memory? It's entirely possible that your unconscious fabricated the entire 'magazine rack' incident.

Several people have asked you to cite references they can read and assess for themselves, because you have provided non-credible sources and arguments. This is a reasonable request. The fact that you'd rather give a snide comment rather than respond to it is unfortunate and smacks of paternalism.

You may go back to your echo chamber now.

20. [...] ELEPHANT JOURNAL- A convenience “cooking” method that was invented by the Nazis, refined by the notorious company Raytheon and banned by Russia in the 70’s, the microwave has no place in my kitchen. [...]

21. oz_ says:

This is ridiculous. You said:

"Research has proven that heating breast milk or baby formula in a microwave destroys vital vitamins and nutrients."

But your link says this info came from a "radio announcement" – so, radio announcements now double as 'research'?? You should also be aware that research doesn't PROVE anything. Research is intended to produce evidence, that can be balanced against other evidence, to come to tentative conclusions. This is how science works. There is no 'proving' going on.

You also cite research by William Kopp in 1998 – the only published work by a 'William Kopp' in 1998 was in the American Journal of Hematology, and it involved arthritis. And your citation: J. Nat. Sci, 1998; 1:42-3 – is the wrong format (which means it cannot be looked up because it's missing vital info). It should have the format: volume:issue THEN page number (e.g. 3:4, 418-422). So this citation appears bogus, not only in format but because no author named Kopp published in that journal in 1998 (or in any other year I can find).

In other words, going by just the first 3 "scary facts" in your article, these all appear either to be baseless assertions or lies.

As Abraham Lincoln once said, calling a dog's tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. And calling wild, unfounded assertions facts does not make them facts.

22. Kelly C. says:

I haven't used a microwave in about two years, but for different reasons…the most significant of which is that I don't dig soggy food. :P

23. Matt says:

Why are so many people commenting here trying to justify their habit of eating microwaved food? Most of you know full well that most "food" Americans in the microwave are not what one would seriously call food, but what Michael Pollan would call 'edible food-like substances' – manufactured specifically so that they could be eaten literally in seconds via a hyper-convenient microwave machine. Why should we perpetuate this lazy and unhealthy way of eating? I'd rather eat Arby's (queue The Simpson's reference) than eat most of the garbage that lives down the frozen entree aisle in the grocery store. But the concept of eating microwaved food makes me cringe mostly because it removes the entire interaction that people are supposed to have with preparing and consuming their food. I'm sorry, but if a person can't make enough time in their day to spend more than a handful of minutes preparing their food… then I think their priorities are a bit skewed. Shouldn't we be caring more about what we put into our bodies? Most food destined for the microwave is very heavily processed and contains negligible amounts of nutrition. Not to mention, once again – most of the time, it tastes awful. Well anyways, regardless of how people judge the content of this article, I appreciate Elephant Journal and their writers, am sometimes baffled by the backlash to articles that I thought people here would read more open-mindedly… but hey, discussion and debate is always a good thing.

24. Michelle says:

Oz, you made me smile :) ! Thank you! And I don’t use a microwave. Not because I’m afraid of it, but because I don’t find the need for it with all the fresh food we eat and how much we enjoy eating raw or cooking the old fashioned ways. This was a poorly written article and entirely unnecessary, IMO.