The Importance of Being Naked.

Via on Jun 30, 2010

What Being Naked Really Means…

A few hours after the start of the New Year, my husband and I talked about what we wanted to do and achieve in 2010. One thing led to another and we made the decision that the time had come to move from the small town we were living in to a place that was more in harmony with our beliefs and lifestyle.

During the next month or so, we tossed around all kinds of ideas as to where we would live. The world is truly small and we wanted to explore all of our options. The irony is that when you have so many options, you kind of get lost especially if you have traveled the world as much as we have.

After much discussion, we settled on living in a beach town along the Atlantic Ocean side of Southern Florida. We loved the concept of the ocean being right there as well as the fact that there is a huge raw food/vegan community that values the concept of sustainability. Plus, there are a lot of practitioners of Eastern thought in the area. In addition to all of this, neither one of us had lived in Florida so we figured it would be a new adventure for the two of us.

As we shared our plans with others, an interesting thing began to happen. Many people were surprised that we would just move to a new place without having any jobs lined up or having any family in the area. You would think we were committing a crime based on all the reactions we received.

Soon after making the decision to move, I figured that since we were already jumping off the cliff by moving to a new town, why not pursue a lifelong dream of being my own boss.

I have always been suspicious of big business and here I was contemplating the idea of launching my own business. Could a Buddhist be a business owner? Was there a conflict? My hunch told me that there was no conflict as long as my intentions were in line with my spiritual beliefs. My brain, however, was not so sure.

So I began to research the topic of launching my own business. After reading over twenty books on the topic, I started to realize that creating a business was nothing like I ever imagined. It was truly not only a spiritual act on some level but a work of art if done with the right intention and focus.

Money is an important force in our world. However, due to fear, we think it controls us as opposed to us controlling it. No where is it said in any holy book that a person is meant to be miserable and have a job that they hate in order to survive. We have created that reality.

I know that for most of my working life, I have worked at jobs that were not in line with my passion because I just did not know how to make a living by doing what I loved.

Eventually, I decided to go ahead and launch my own business. Inevitably, I started to realize that I would need money to do all that I wanted. As life would have it, someone who knew what I wanted to do decided to be my investor and help me achieve my dream.

Within two weeks, we will be moving down to Florida.  Within the next couple of months, I will launch my business. Am I scared? No. I am more concerned about the prospect of hurricanes.

I have no idea what the road ahead will be like. Anything is possible and I love that. There is no set formula as to what constitutes a happy life. We each have our own definition.

What I do know for a fact is that in order to make the most out of being alive, we have to be honest and true with ourselves. When this year began, I realized that the time had come for me to face the fact that the time had come to stop doing a job for money and start working on something that I love.

The way I saw it was that if I continued doing what I had been doing it would be like selling my soul for money. I have been spiritual in every other area of my life except for this one and the time had come for a change.

If you are unhappy in your life, acknowledge it and then you can begin to work on creating the life that you desire.

Nothing of value was ever achieved by playing it safe. Sometimes jumping off the cliff is a very wise act.

About Nadia Ballas-Ruta

Nadia Ballas-Ruta is a former attorney and almost took final vows as a Vedanta nun with the prestigious Ramakrishna Order. She has traveled the world, lived in India and so much more. She currently is working as a freelance writer and photographer. The focus of her work as an artist is to help people recognize their inherent Divinity. She is also a regular contributor at Think Simple Now.

18 Responses to “The Importance of Being Naked.”

1. What a powerful realization! Stumbled.

"I have come to realize that in order to make the most out of being alive, you have to be naked. Being naked does not mean having no clothes on. It means having no delusions or lies about yourself. You can cheat the world but you can never cheat yourself."

• Hi Abubakar,

Thank you so much for the stumble and for leaving a comment.

A person can never cheat themselves. They may try but it is futile. You have to be real…not only with others but with ourselves.

Have a great day!

2. saumya says:

well said.And all the best for the venture. Wishes are always with you. God helps those, who helps themselves.

3. uzma7 says:

Nadia , Nadia, Nadia. So great to read your wise words again. Thank you for showing me the importance of leading a life true to ourselves . Its hard but with the help of wise friends one learns to find the way. Love the pic. God bless.

• Hi Uzma,

Thank you so much for all the kind words. Life is short and is precious. There is no reason why a person should not be true to who they are. I know it can be hard but nothing of value is ever easy.

Blessings to you too!

4. Arun MR says:

Hello Nadia,

I find myself in a similar situation these days. I realize that though I have been happy with the job so far, things have come to a stage when I have to strike out on my own to remain that way. Your post turn out to be very encouraging. :)

Another good thing that happened this morning was coming across this quote from William Blake.

“I must create a system or be enslaved by another Man’s. I will not reason and compare. My business is to Create”

Any ways, will keep in touch with your thoughts .. :)

• Hi Arun,

William Blake is one of my favorites and I love the line that you shared. It is truly beautiful.

I know exactly what you mean about reaching a stage where you realize that you need to strike out on your own. It is a very interesting process. If you had told me a year ago that I would be doing what I am doing, I would have been surprised because the concept seemed so far fetched. However, everything begins with a thought and from there things have a beautiful way of falling into place.

I wish you all the best in your endeavor and I definitely will be contributing more on Elephant Journal.

Have a beautiful day! :)

5. Tim says:

Hi Nadia:

Thank you for sharing your story…sounds like you’re on quite an adventure, which is great. You’re post is a great reminder to everyone, and especially me, that the figurative act of jumping off a cliff can be a good thing. I wish you good luck on your move and the start of your business.

• Hi Tim,

Thank you so much for your well wishes. A person can never have too many of those and so they are very much welcomed! :)

The interesting thing about risk is that it appears to be a scary thing but if you think about it a life without risk is much more scary. You get out of life as much as you put into it. I think jumping off of cliffs is an art form in the sense that it gets easier with time.

A person really needs to be honest with themselves and I think that is key when it comes to jumping off cliffs.

Hope all is well with you!

6. New challenges require daily doses of courage. Keep breathing as each challenge arises. Sometimes, it seems like the smallest thing knocks us off course. That's only because we've been dealing with bigger issues…and then the straw that breaks the camel's back lands on us. Keep moving forward! You can handle anything!

• Thanks for the support! And no worries, I am confident about this new phase. I have been jumping off cliffs for most of my life and I have always landed on my feet. The way I see it…I am always moving forward. There is no other direction to go but up! :)

7. Mary Holland Mary says:

Wow! Exactly what I needed to hear today! Thank you! (and Congratulations!)

8. Sarah says:

Dear Nadia,

Thank you so much for writing and sharing this. I have goosebumps! Reading this couldn't have come at a better moment, as I've been looking for inspiration in my own life with regards to these matters. I really appreciate your sincerity, sense of adventure and spirit.

And congratulations on your chosen path!

• Hi Sarah,

Apologies on the delay in replying. We just moved into our new apartment in Florida and we have been busy getting things organized. I am so happy that you loved the piece and thank you for all the kind words. You brought a smile! :)

9. Sarah says:

Nadia, do you recommend any particular books about beginning a business?

• Sure, Sarah. What exactly are you looking for? Are you looking into the legal aspects? Do you already have an idea for a business? What I did was that I talked to people who were doing similar work and then I just researched everything. I studied all the tax, local, state and federal laws so that I would know what I should do.

One of my favorite books is Trump 101 and it is by Donald Trump. I was surprised that I would love that book but it was truly awesome. I also read a lot of the Dummies series on home businesses and small business. My personal favorite besides Trump 101 is the ebook that Danielle LaPorte sells on her site.

There are a lot of business books, you just need to focus on the topics that interest you. So the more clear you are in what you want to learn, the easier it will be.

Feel free to contact me via my contact page at my blog (a new site will be launched soon) if you have any further questions.