This is Meat.

Via on Jun 13, 2010

Vegan or meat-eating foodie, we can all agree that plastic-wrapped sanitized de-boned 1,500-mile-shipped antibiotic and corn-fattened animals who never see the light of day…that is, all meat from factory farms, isn’t mindful. It’s horrible.

Here’s a new generation’s take on an old school craft. The Pig and the Butcher. There’s nothing disconnected or sanitized: it’s all there. It’s an animal, so recently sentient, killed for our appreciation and pleasure.

Via Kickstarter:

Akimenko Meats, Bringing Locally and Sustainably Raised Meats to Our Community

About this project

Akimenko Meats strives to bridge the gap between the city dweller and our local farmers. Our commitment to our neighbors is to bring in local, organic, and sustainable products while supporting the local agricultural community, building customer awareness, ultimately aiding our local economy.

Akimenko Meats will deal primarily with farms in a 250 mile radius and whole animals. To help make Akimenko Meats more sustainable we will offer house made charcuteries and stocks, making use of the whole animal. Our ultimate goal is to make local and sustainable meats available to all walks of life and year round. Akimenko Meats does not believe that eating with an ethical conscience should be a privilege that only the wealthy can afford.

We want our customers to be engaged directly with our butchers, so we will not have meat in cases. This is another way to bring the customers closer to the source of their food, bring down the barriers that separate us from the customers and build personal relationship to help support the community. Our unique philosophy for customer service will set us apart from other shops in the area.

The slow food movement has helped bring a Culinary Renaissance to the U.S. and now is the time to bring its ideals and ethos to the masses while retaining a sense of community. With the financial support from our contributers we will reach our goal of $15,000 from kickstarter, which we will use to secure our proposed location and help achieve our overall goal of $200,000 to open the butcher shop. Thank you for your support.
Project location: Cambridge, MA

About elephant journal

660 views

(We use super-secure PayPal—but don't worry—you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

13 Responses to “This is Meat.”

1. Magda says:

eewww…. and so, so sad…

2. Pat says:

How sad for a little piglet to end up like this. Don't eat them!

3. Only respectful comments, please.

• Patrick said:

Instead of calling this article "This Is Meat"…it should be called, "This Is !@#$%^&*(".

We don't love swearing on this site, even if we agree with the sentiment as expressed.

4. Padma says:

Well if you’re going to eat meat, better to eat local, organically raised animals. But far better not to eat them at all. Here’s what I think:

5. Laurie says:

“Akimenko Meats does not believe that eating with an ethical conscience should be a privilege that only the wealthy can afford”… hmmmm really? I can afford to eat all the veges I want with an ethical conscience. Right out of my backyard garden. I cannot with good “ethical conscience” eat another sentient earthling. These pigs are smarter than my dogs.

6. JoLinda Van Haren says:

AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!! Pigs are smarter than dogs! I didn't stop eating meat,chicken,fish,for my health but because I suddenly realized that I felt a bond with all these creatures and that nobody had to DIE so that I could have lunch! My husband eats meat but he can buy it wherever-I don't care!!!!!!!

7. Roger Easson says:

there is a wonderful video you should know from the University of Mississippi on real flesh eaters. http://vimeo.com/1535389
    Meat is life in Mississippi, apparently

8. Prem Anjali says:

I couldn’t agree more with Krys (“I’m glad that’s where your journey lead you, but the reverse is also true. I’ve heard of far too many vegetarians going back to eating animals because butchers like this help them rationalize it.”).

In interviewing countless Yoga folks over the past decade, I’ve heard this rationalization over & over. I usually quote Patanjali in these cases: “Slipping from ground gained is an obstacle to be avoided on the path of Yoga.”

OM Shanti, peace

9. blake says:

Why is it nobody ever feels bad about killing plants? Don't you know they want to live, too! *SOB*

10. [...] Meat, these days, is so over-consumed and, well, dirty—factory farms and bad diets and chemicals and abuse equal unhealthy animals—and fish is so mercury-laden it knocked Entourage’s Piven down for the count, and is not recommended in all 50 US States for pregnant mommas or their soon-to-be children. [...]

11. I agree.

Still, many don't. And for those who do like to eat meat, appreciation is a good start on the path to mindfulness. That's how I became a veggie—I started looking into where my meat came from, how the animals were treated, and the effects on the environment.