1. Imagine sitting in your home.
2. Hold the love you feel there for a moment in your belly, let it warm.
3. Imagine the 100,140 killed in Iraq, and hold them in your heart.
4. Imagine the civilians and soldiers dying in front of your eyes, and you do nothing.
5. Rid yourself for a moment of political stance, and just imagine 110,140 bodies — bloated, breathless, lifeless, eyes empty.
6. Place the civilians and soldiers, 110,140 rotting war corpses in a row, build a road of dead mothers and fathers and children. Smell death. Smell those dead and rinse your skin with the blood of the dead, dead by world denial (our denial) of the importance of life, this bounty of breath we have been given. Make their blood and flesh your garment.
7. Imagine the length of that road you’ve built, body after body after body after body after body after body after body after body.
8. Walk the road you created.
9. Smell the rot, taste the meat in your breath, breathe death where you expected air, see your body covered in the blood of others, your friends, your loves.
10. Taste that pain in your heart and hold it until the war stops.
Now go change something.
Robert Allen is a writer and teacher in the realm of relationships and the men’s movement. His articles have been distributed widely on the internet. He’s the author of the Integrity Pledge, a five part pledge for men who love women, and want to love them better.
Robert lives in northern California with his wife, elephant journal columnist Lasara Allen, and two daughters.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 1,388 share Learn to Rock your Social Media & Write Mindfully with Waylon Lewis & Elephant’s Editors. 5 shares Why I Snort Raw Cacao. 9,557 shares The Best Marriage Advice from a Divorced Woman. 2,034 shares 2017 is The Year of Kali, Goddess of Endings & Beginnings. 13,577 shares If you Love her, Don’t Destroy Her. 8,842 shares How to Disentangle ourselves from Karmic Relationships that Drive us Crazy. 153 shares The True Meaning of Friday the 13th (isn’t what we think). 5,245 shares The 6 Best Spiritual Teachings of Wayne Dyer to help us Get Over Ourselves. 1,834 share Use This Buddhist Practice to Overcome Self-Doubt. 415 shares