I knew the next time that I got pregnant; I would have to deal with ignorant comments about my growing belly. During my first pregnancy, absolute strangers who wanted to know all the details about my blossoming baby bump fascinated me. At first, I welcomed the questions, until they started to become insults. I was so appalled by some of the comments that I decided to keep track of the worst insults that can be directed to a pregnant woman.
1. Is your due date tomorrow?
2. From your husband or significant other, “Babe, can you cook me something to eat?”
3. Is that a linebacker in your belly?
4. Lady, are you packing twins?
5. You should hold off on the fries, because your baby doesn’t need anything else to eat.
6. What are you eating now? Geez, you sure do eat a lot.
7. Are you pregnant again? Every time I turn around you’re knocked up!
8. Your ultrasound looks like an alien.
9. You’ve got a big head. Your delivery is going to hurt!
10. You’re about to bust! (When in actuality, you are only 5 months pregnant, with one child in utero).
There are over 80 million moms in the United States. Instead of saying something that may land you in the “hot seat,” try to say something in a more positive way. For example, “Congratulations, you look really great!” Or try, “You’re glowing and look so good!” Instead of being an annoying baby bump gawker, please turn your harsh ridicule into positive affirmations. This will not only protect your feelings from being hurt, but will also shower joy upon a woman who has to carry a child for 9 months, and most likely deal with other people’s inappropriate comments.
Version of article published in Southwest Parenting Magazine.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 1,410 share Learn to Rock your Social Media & Write Mindfully with Waylon Lewis & Elephant’s Editors. 5 shares 2017 is The Year of Kali, Goddess of Endings & Beginnings. 23,340 shares If you Love her, Don’t Destroy Her. 15,619 shares The Best Marriage Advice from a Divorced Woman. 2,085 shares How to Disentangle ourselves from Karmic Relationships that Drive us Crazy. 160 shares The True Meaning of Friday the 13th (isn’t what we think). 5,264 shares The Technique that helps me make Decisions under Pressure (& has Saved my Life More than Once). 457 shares The 6 Best Spiritual Teachings of Wayne Dyer to help us Get Over Ourselves. 1,858 share Use This Buddhist Practice to Overcome Self-Doubt. 427 shares