Awaken the Snake: a tale of Kundalini and Orgasm.

Via on Aug 9, 2010

My personal experience of awakening the Kundalini Energy.

I originally wrote this article in response to the question: “How can I learn to feel my chakras?” from a student. In answering that question, I found myself writing about Kundali.
Kundalini is a vast reservoir of natural energy that lies dormant in most people, until ‘activated’. This activation is a process: it happens naturally and slowly as we evolve. But the process of evolution can be accelerated through disciplined spiritual practice. When the kundalini ‘awakens’, our consciousness changes: we become much more aware.

This article presents my own personal experience of this awakening…

The human body has a subtle aspect to it that we can call the subtle body. It’s as though the physical body wears an invisible glove, and that invisible glove is not only around the physical body, but also inter-penetrates it. The subtle body consists of many thousands of ‘Nadis’ (the Chinese call them ‘meridians’). According to the Vedas, there are 72,000 of these nadis, or energy pathways, in the body.

The Chakras are simply the places in the body where these energy meridians merge with each other (the word chakra means wheel, or junction). There are many charkas, but seven important ones:

• the root chakra (at the perineum)
  • the second chakra (between the hips)
  • the solar plexus chakra
  • the heart chakra (in the middle of the chest – not at the physical heart)
  • the throat chakra (at the base of the throat)
  • the third eye (the space between the eyebrows)
  • the crown chakra (at the top of the head).

One of the ‘aims’ of Hatha yoga is to awaken the dormant Kundalini energy (which is said to lie curled up sleeping at the base of the spine like a snake) and to raise it up through the chakras. As it goes higher and higher, various abilities are awakened; evolution is accelerated; and finally enlightenment is achieved when the kundalini goes up through the crown chakra.

The rising of the kundalini is a completely natural process: it will happen to all of us, at some point in our development.

However, in our modern society, our awareness tends to be very ‘gross’ – very dull and material-based. In ancient times people were much more oriented towards feeling rather than thinking, so they were more aware of this subtle aspect of themselves. Nowadays, we are not… hence the question “how can I feel my chakras?”

To answer the question:There is a very important pre-requisite to feeling the flow of energy, let alone feeling the chakras: you have to be totally relaxed.

Tension and stress block energy. You simply cannot feel it if you are physically or mentally tense. Many beginners to yoga have simply not yet mastered relaxation enough to be able to focus on the more subtle aspects of energy and chakras.

However, once we get to the point where we are able to fully relax, and to feel more, we become gradually aware of this subtle aspect of ourselves, and can come to know once again our own energy body. We begin to feel the flow of energy! Usually it feels like a cool breeze, or a warm tingling sensation, or perhaps a vibration. It feels at the same time physical and non-physical, and that is how you know that it really is ‘energy’. Once you feel it, you can focus your attention on it, and it gradually becomes more a part of your awareness. In my case, it took many years to achieve this (but I know that occasionally people are quicker). As you become slowly more and more aware of the energy, you sense that it flows in a certain way, and that in some parts of your body that flow is stronger. Usually the places where you feel it most strongly are the chakras.

The chakra feels like a ‘vortex’; like a whirlpool of energy. You should be aware that everyone feels them in slightly different places – so don’t ‘look’ for them. It is better to find them organically (without effort).

So, to summarise:

• learn to relax fully;
  • learn to ‘feel’ more and more subtly;
  • finally, focus your attention on the feeling of energy, and learn to follow it’s flow.

In addition:
Diet is highly important: you are what you eat. If you eat dense heavy food – meat, processed food, too much cooked food – then it will be very hard to access the more subtle vibrational body. If you want to experience a higher vibration, it is good to eat more fresh, raw, organic foods. A certain level of purity within the physical body is necessary before the subtle energy can be felt.

Exercise: the body has to be in good condition, and the more you practice energetic exercises like yoga, tai chi, chi kung, and so on, the more the physical body comes into ‘alignment’ with the energy body

Breathing exercises stimulate the flow of energy (the yoga breathing exercises are called Pranayama – which literally means “control of the energy”). You should first make sure that you know how to breathe properly.

Warning: it is well known that trying too hard to speed up this process can be harmful. I have heard of people who really lost their minds by coming into contact too early with Kundalini energy. It is extremely powerful, and if you are not ready, it can make you feel as if you are completely out of control. In my case, here’s what happened:

First, some background information:

I studied yoga for about 5 years, going quite deeply into the physical aspects (exercises and breathing). I also began to meditate, and had immediate transcendental experiences of ‘stopping the mind’. I then took a very intensive yoga Teacher Training course. Two years later, I took the advanced Teacher Training course (ATTC – even more intense!), and soon afterwards began to experience (very strongly!!) the rising of the Kundalini energy, which lasted for about 72 hours…

I was in the Bahamas, where I was living and working in an Ashram, having just completed my ATTC. One afternoon, I began to experience what can only be described as ‘rushes’ of energy going up my spine – exactly the same feeling as an intense rising orgasm, causing a kind of ‘ripple effect’ through my body.

At first it was very pleasurable, and pretty amusing! Apart from the obvious physical pleasure, I was also very satisfied because I felt that this experience symbolized progress in my spiritual practice. But after a few hours I began to feel restless. After a sleepless night, I was getting uncomfortable and feeling mentally exhausted and disturbed; and after two days and nights I really wanted it to stop!!

I was lucky – I found that by focusing my intention, I was able to gradually slow down the rising Kundalini. I felt that I wasn’t ready for the experience I was having, so I delayed it. The reason I was able to do that is because a) I was very experienced, and b) I was in the ideal supportive and understanding environment of an ashram. Many people have not been so lucky – there are ‘kundalini clinics’ which have been established purely with the aim of treating people who have lost control of their lives, after prematurely raising the Kundalini. So be careful!

That was in 2003. Since then I feel the occasional ripple! I feel the kundalini rising, but much slower. I know that it’s better that way: it’s always better to go too slow, than too fast. Take things one step at a time, don’t rush. The journey is just as important as the destination, and our progress must be balanced, otherwise there will always be a ‘kickback’. Relax deeply, and all will go as it should. Relaxation is the foundation upon which everything good is built.

As a very wise man once said: “just relax, and enjoy!”

What do you think? Any experiences of Kundalini you’d like to share? Disagree with anything I wrote? Great! Leave a comment - or I’ll put a curse on you and all your children will be born NAKED :)

About Ben Ralston

Ben Ralston almost joined the army when he was 18. When he was 32 he almost became a Swami. *** Now he is a healer, Reference Point Therapy teacher, and advanced Yoga instructor in the Sivananda tradition . His work as a healer acknowledges trauma as the underlying cause of almost all human problems, and resolves trauma at the causal level: gut-based survival instincts. The intention behind all his work is to empower others. *** Ben splits his time between his busy international practice, training therapists, and writing. As an experienced Yoga and Meditation teacher he also runs retreats, usually on the beautiful Croatian coast. *** Connect with Ben on Facebook. Read more of his writing on his blog Grounded Spirituality.

(We use super-secure PayPal—but don't worry—you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

24 Responses to “Awaken the Snake: a tale of Kundalini and Orgasm.”

1. Ramesh says:

Ben,
    thanks for sharing this wonderful article and your experiences with kundalini!

2. Ben Ralston says:

Ramesh, it’s really a pleasure. I’m very happy that you like it.

With love, Ben

3. Ramesh says:

Ben,
    one thing I would like to add and emphasize is that kundalini is really the domain of Tantra Yoga, not Hatha Yoga. But, as you know, the latter is an integral part of the former, something made explicitly clear by Swami Shivananada, Swami Satyananda and many others. Moreover, kundalini is central to all spiritual awakening and yoga awakening in particular. And it is the gift of Tantra that the science and art of chakras, koshas, nadis, etc have become central to yoga and all its branches and practices.

• Ben_Ralston says:

Hi Ramesh,
      I believe that Tantra without Hatha, and Hatha without Tantra, impoverishes our experience. Swami Sivananda promoted the yoga of synthesis, and this is my background. I embrace all aspects of Yoga, including Tantra. Or, as i think you would prefer to say, all aspects of Tantra, including Yoga. I prefer to see the essence at the heart of ALL spiritual traditions.
      I agree that Kundalini is central to all awakening.
      Love, Ben

• Ramesh says:

Point well taken, Ben. Tantra Yoga includes Hatha Yoga, as Tantrics do perform, and really did invent, asanas and pranayama. So, it's all part of the same system. Did not mean to split too many hairs here as its all Tantric and Yogic anyway and kundalini is universal to us all, whether you are a yogi or not.

4. candicegarrett says:

"or I'll put a curse on you and all your children will be born naked" LOL!

5. Ben_Ralston says:

Phew, your kids are alright!

6. angrybunny says:

My kundalini is an earthworm

7. Natalie says:

ben, do you think 'kundalini syndrome' could end up looking like something akin to manic-depression in a person who is a spritual seeker but just not ready?

• Ben_Ralston says:

Hi Natalie, my intuition tells me that in this case, the answer is no.
      However, if you want to email me the details, perhaps with a bit more information I could be more sure.
      Ben

8. Ben_Ralston says:

Hi Fred,
    Thanks for your comment!
    I personally side with Leadbeater on this one; I have no doubt that it can be dangerous to prematurely awaken Kundalini. Or rather, to awaken it without the necessary preparation. My experience is not all I base this on: I have spoken to several trusted teachers about it, and have heard of a number of cases other than my own in which premature evolution caused big problems. As I think I said in the article, I got off lightly…
    As far as the second part of your comment goes – I don't know any way of 'scientifically' ascertaining whether it was kundalini or prana moving through my spine. I believe in fact, that there is really no difference: that when the prana is correctly channelled into the Sushumna Nadi, then it's intensity awakens the kundalini. So whether we call it one or the other seems not to matter much.
    I was in the presence of two very experienced Swamis who both told me that it was Kundalini rising – which is what I base my opinion on primarily. I could of course be wrong… it's certainly happened a few times before :D
    Love, Ben

• Fred says:

Ah the science is in you're response. The current spiritual technology involved in apprehending metaphysical phenomena lies in the mind i.e. psychic faculties, siddihis as they say in Sanskrit. An experienced Swami has no doubt developed the ability to discriminate between prana and kundalini by means of clairvoyance. Also having two experienced Swamis confirm the phenomenon adds to the credibility of the situation. Please don't take my scientific inquiry into this matter as though I am skeptical or don't believe you, I certainly do. I'm just trying to relate my own experiences to those of others and thereby develop a better understanding of my greater constitution and how it relates to the occult laws of nature.

If you are looking for a more detailed account of the difference between the three energetic emanations from the Solar Deity–namely, Fohat, Prana, and Kundalini, you should check out the book: The Etheric Double by A.E. Powell. This is a peerless synthesis of information regarding what you would probably know as the pranamaya kosha and it's relationship to the "subtle" fields/planes of life.

FK

• Ramesh says:

Fred, Ben,
        from my own experience the raising of kundalini can happen in so many ways, violently and also quietly. Tantric Yoga is about balancing chakras so that the kundalini can arise without "sideeffects" but people whose chakras are not balanced and whose nervous system is weak and endocrine glands are imbalanced (asanas properly performed will balance the endocrine system, which is intimately related to the chakras) will often have weird experiences such a physical shaking of limbs, violent laughter, rolling on the floor, etc. But those who are real yogis, vegetarians (yes, a sattvik diet is important as well) , whose chakras and hormones are balanced, will not have such reactions, kundalini will arise quietly yet forcefully and the experience will be internalized rather than externalized. So, it is in that regard, I think we need to view Leadbeater and Ben's comments–that if you are not prepared, there will be some imbalanced reactions.

9. [...] and many different traditions. I’m not about to pinpoint them all, but let us look at the Kundalini yoga perspective because it offers a balanced view on Human [...]

10. [...] awakening acknowledges impermanence: I have changed. I have evolved. I am changing and [...]

11. [...] is possible that the teachings of the ancient rishi’s have merely appealed to and appeased my ego, which so desperately wants to be exalted as divine, [...]

12. RemyC. says:

Kundalini rising, blocked crown chakra, pressure builds, brain explodes! Hard to negotiate these things with chronic lyme cursing through your veins…

13. Laura says:

Great info, very interesting.. I want to read more on it! Thank you very much!

14. mbt shoes nyc says:

Good luck bracelets are handcrafted by artists and blessed in a ritual to bestow energies that can draw good fortune. Marble has the natural ability to remove the bacteria and viruses that gathers on the floor. I’m donating that $5,000 grant to the American Heart Association Cultural Health Initiatives in New York City to do a heart health program in Harlem.”The “Why””All of these awards are special because they honor my ‘post-transformation’ phase and volunteer work.

15. aparna says:

Hi Ben,

Very useful article. I am having some weird experiences for a few months now. It is worrisome at times. I donot know any asharam or guru. I need to know a few things, as you mentioned it could be destructive as well. Can I email you? I will be greatful for your inputs.

Thank you.

16. bob says:

The very first day I can feel the k surge is on 22/12/12…yes, the day that half the world believed to be the end of time. Its like a tiny but intense electrical surges that runs upwards from the base of my spine and ended somewhere on the very top part of my head. My body trembled and I couldn't stay still coz this intense but pleasurable surges pulsated within my spine. if anybody saw me at that moment they might mistakenly thought that I had an epileptic seizure!! Then a week later I took a reiki attunement and kundalini initiations from my Spiritual master that live over 2000 km apart from me. I'm in peninsular Malaysia while my master is somewhere on the tip of Borneo.

Then, the most fearful days of my life begins. After the first day of the initiations, I'm beginning to feel all my nerves inside my body. And all the energy that flows upwards, downwards, sideways…everything!!! Just in a sudden I feel my world is getting larger and larger and more spacious. I begin to see that I'm like a tiny dot of energy zapping here and there through this infinite dark space. The first week I had a terrible headache, indescribable fatigue and sleepless nights. I felt like sleeping but my mind is fully awake and as soon as my body fallen asleep, my mind floats out of my body and flying around my house and then sits beside my sleeping body till morning come. It feels like I'm like a spirit beings just sat there watching at the sleeping me! Then I realized that I'm mentally exhausted due to my mind not sleeping when my body asleep.

The 2nd week it becomes more painful as all my sensitive nerves like in my teeth and head had an energy clearing experience. This state is where the accelerated energy cleaning all the blockages that's accumulated within me all entire life. The re-wiring process was so painful and at some state I thought i had a trigeminal neuralgia (suicide disease the called it) where this intense stabbing pain just throbs within my head day and night. I begin to consume migraine drugs. It helps for a while but the pain is there and won't go away until the clearing and cleaning process done.

The most amazing thing happened to me within the rebirth period (lol) was a burnt pillow. In my sleep I had this weird energy dream then in a sudden I heard a continuous loud zaps like when you rub the screen of your CRT television that's full of static charge!! But this zap came from around my head like a force-field and it burns my pillow as this intense electrical force-field touched it! That happened in a mere 2 second then I woke up in confusion smelling like a burnt gun powder glaring at my toasted pillow….

Well that just me. Maybe any one here would have more interesting stories than me…

17. danielle says:

Hi…I don't know if I should even be posting this…I'm not trained…I've been meditating…before I meditate I become aware of my main seven spinning along with other parts like the bottom of my feet and behind my knees….when I get to my third eye it opens and I become a realtor….the awareness is automatic…but if I have someone in my field like doing an aura sweep with a selenite wand…I have an orgasm…it is something that just happens….I had a crystAl therapy session and I told my sister it was about to happen and she told me to picture a snake coiled and relaxed at the base of my spine….it calmed it so I didn't have an orgasm…then as she continued….I felt the room turn upside down and I was against the ceiling…she placed a rough green quarts over my heart chakra witch with her help connected me back together…What is happening to me and how do I connect it all to benefit others?obviously I have a purpose…but what

18. Christ says: