Congrats to Outside Magazine cover girl Alex Puccio!

Via on Sep 21, 2010

Holy Rock Star!

Update: more photos.

Uh, wow. And well deserved.

Alex Puccio, one of the world’s very best climbers and now cover girl for Outside Magazine, is doubly awesome ’cause she’s sweet and down to earth—even as she tops out on some of Planet Earth’s toughest problems.

[galleria]

A few videos will give you an idea of the talent that is Alex!

About Waylon Lewis

20 Responses to “Congrats to Outside Magazine cover girl Alex Puccio!”

1. ARCreated says:

wow. Sexy re-defined :)

2. Darren says:

seems like Outside is turning into Maxim, wearing fleece and trail runners. Sure, Alex is lovely and an amazing athlete, but Outside clearly has a strategy that is Maximesque.

• elephant journal elephantjournal says:

Guess why: readers buy it. No excuse, but I know that even Yoga Journal or Shambhala Sun (yoga, Buddhism respectively) are dependent on covers selling the magazine. Readers don't care about content, first, often (though there are many exceptions, such as New Yorker, Atlantic, NY Times…). Mags like Outside, it's true, are chasing their readers with sexy covers, rather than magnetizing them in with content and photos that connect to the intellect and heartstrings.

IMHO, the above does both. But perhaps that's because I know Alex—she's both lovely, and talented—and most importantly, so sweet and real. Really.

3. WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot says:

This is journalism?

• elephant journal elephantjournal says:

No. Journalism, readers pay for, so that said media can pay their writers to do quality, independent research. This is a popular blog. You read for free, and leave anonymous douche-y comments.

• Darren says:

Douch-y is not a word. Douchesque, I think. :-)

I know readers buy it. I read an article in a publishing rag that said Maxim is the top selling magazine at airports. I believe it.

If Alex is half as cool as Steph Davis, you're right — she's a gem.

• WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot says:

You comment just as anonymously. And you write like a middle schooler, no offense to middle schoolers. Maybe this is why you lack pay-worthy content and have devolved your publication into this cheap, schizophrenic and "douche-y" social page blog that, frankly, has all the mindfulness of the typical frat boy.

A little lesson for you: journalism is journalism, regardless of the level of income it generates. Using pay or a lack of it as an excuse does not wash. You have shirked the responsibility of credible journalism, period. You either fulfill a responsibility to readers or you don't. I read all sorts of free blogs that put this one to shame in terms of level of content (independent research and all) and even the mindfulness you purport to exude. I honestly used to enjoy and find genuine stimulation in the print version of this publication but over the past two years have watched as the electronic version has gradually eroded into so much low-rent, slobbering grab-ass.

• Pedobear says:

You sound like a massive douche.

• elephant journal elephantjournal says:

Sorry if I was offensive, before.

Pay is an excuse, to my mind, because journalism requires editing, which we do a fair amount (but not nearly enough) of, and editing requires paying said editor, and right now we can't pay because our readers read for free and, though we've grown quickly (because many of our readers, unlike unfortunately yourself, seem to love or at least like what we're doing) we're not yet big enough to win back most of our old advertisers from our days of print.

That said, you're right, there's ultimately no excuse for bad journalism, which is what elephant is overall—we have great articles, poor articles, well-researched articles, aggregation blogs…we're all over the place quality-wise, as are most blogs that aren't yet sustainable and able to support even a small staff.

That said, you could be nicer about it, but I guess that would require breathing in and out before you leave less-than-constructive anonymous comments. My comments are hardly anonymous—if you know elephant, as you say you do, you may know I'm the only employee here, and that when other columnists post comments on FB they identify themselves. For now, and hopefully for not much longer, I'm the man behind the curtain.

• elephant journal elephantjournal says:

BTW, if you'd like to continue this conversation personally or via email, feel free to contact me at waylon at elephantjournal dot com. I need constructive criticism and welcome it. That said, we have policy of "agreeing to disagree"—ie being respectful, not douche-y, so you've been (only) temporarily blocked from commenting. I'm sure you won't miss me or ele, from the sounds of your comment.

4. anonclimber says:

I've actually seen alex climb in person on several occasions and am pretty sure her arms are photoshopped in this pic. in real life they look thicker and even more muscular than this pic shows – the girl is ripped!

NOT knocking her in anyway, cause I think she's gorgeous, but more sad that it seems like maybe Outside retouched a beautiful, muscular, strong and crazy-talented climber to fit more into what someone pointed out above – the sexy, maxim-esque, model-y female athlete stereotype.

5. Hijab says:

My Lord! This Outside Magazine cover is totally sexist. They're just exploiting her to sell magazines. Terrible. And she is practically naked! I'm gonna unsubscribe for sure.

6. Catherine F says:

agreed with Hijab! Plus, isn't she under aged? I think this points to a very pertinent and current discussion about "sexy" in climbing which can be found in heated arguments on climbingnarc.com's site. Some of the women are pushing this too far. I support the women who respect themselves and climb to climb, not to show off skin and make themselves into sexual objects. Three cheers for Alex Johnson (who started the discussion), Angie Payne, Anna Stohr, Paige Claassen, and all the other women who are climbing for the love of climbing.

7. Hijab says:

Women should just not be allowed to dress this way in front of men. This is why women in the USA should be made to wear the burqa when in view of men that are not her family. In my country a woman would be disciplined for behaving this way.

• elephant journal elephantjournal says:

Not sure if Catherine or myself got your humor off the first comment…thanks for clarifying!

I think Alex looks great, and is great in person…and while Outside is certainly putting an attractive image on the cover, as least personally I just felt inspired by Alex on the cover—didn't come off as too lad mag-ish.

8. elephant journal elephantjournal says:

Via http://www.facebook.com/elephantjournal

#
    Keith B What? An "Outside" cover that isn't Laird Hamilton or Lance Armstrong?

#
    Jenifer S Lance's name still made this cover…good point.

9. janox says:

la mejor!!!!!

10. nico says:

its hilarious that outside readers are constantly complaining that there are too many men on the magazine covers. now there’s a beautiful woman and readers complain…. this my friends is the nature of journalism. you can’t please em all.

I, personally, am much happier with this hot rock babe than bear grillz or anderson cooper(makes me want to vomit blood just writing his name)…

note to outside: more cool climber chicks and your readership should go up. more idiots like andreson cooper and youll forever be just another gear review rag.

11. Darren says:

Y'know, Nico, when you put it that way…Bear with his face covered with mud and Anderson with his face not covered with mud… I prefer Alex. She has a sweet smile. And I'm not sure if any cover of any national magazine is not photoshopped.

12. [...] what’s inside the mag, pick one up at your local wherever, or check out this article from Elephant Journal.  Go Alex! Categories: Comps, Left River, Right River, SBS VI, Setting Update, Taping [...]