Top 10 Yoga Websites.

Via on Sep 13, 2010

Get Your Om On, Online.

Yoga is everywhere – and I do mean everywhere – these days. But with popularity comes falsehoods, especially on the internet. Where do you go when you want good, honest information about yoga? Why, these top 10 yoga websites!

10. GreenYogaThe online home of the Green Yoga Association, a northern California-based organization keen on promoting eco-friendly living and action through all aspects of yoga. They’re most well-known for their programs helping yoga studios and events operate more sustainably, along with green getaways and helpful newsletters.

9. YoganomicsNew in the online yoga scene, this website was started by former Yoga Journal employee Brian Castellani. Initially inspired by the focus on yoga regulations and licensing, “Yoganomics’ mission statement is to be the blueprint of yoga development as an intuitive and collaborative ‘self help’ resource guide for any yoga teacher, yoga business, or community of yoga.” So far, he’s accomplishing this goal through an online marketplace, blog articles, videos, and a growing social community.

8. Yoganonymous: Another newer website, Yoganonymous features teacher profiles, spotlighted studios, upcoming events, giveaways, free mix-tape-style music collections, and intelligent articles (including those by some Elephant Journal writers!).

7. YogaTodayOne of the first (and still one of the best) online yoga class websites, Yoga Today’s classes are filmed in beautiful studios and gorgeous Southwest outdoor locations. With qualified instructors, three membership options (yes, free is an option) and over 200 classes to choose from, Yoga Today is one of the biggest online collections of full-length yoga classes.

6. MindBodyGreenStarted as a user-submitted eco-news site, MindBodyGreen has grown into a professionally-written, regularly-updated wellness website. Of course, being a wellness site, they have a whole section decided to yoga (and Pilates), featuring news, pose instructions, and interviews with celebrities and yoga professionals.

5. Life.GaiamPart of the conscious-lifestyle shop Gaiam, the Life.Gaiam.com website is all about – you guessed it – living a better life through health-based, spiritual, and sustainable practices. One of my favorite features is their Yoga Answers and Solutions Go-To Guide, a great introduction to the many articles, videos, and DVDs the site has to offer on the subject of yoga.

4. WholeLivingMs. Martha Stewart maintains a regular yoga practice, so it comes as no surprise that her healthy living magazine, Whole Living (previously Body+Soul), features over 100 pages about yoga, including pranayama (breathing) and strength-training focused practices.

3. YogaDorkIn its 3rd year, Yoga Dork is a great, often-updated blog about the latest in yoga news, including Hollywood and yoga celebrities, books, DVDs, medical studies, and more. The folks that comment aren’t afraid to be opinionated, so interesting conversations ensue regularly.

2. ElephantJournalYou can’t have a list of best yoga websites & not include Elephant Journal. Full of articles about all aspects of the yoga lifestyle (many of which are written by actual yoga teachers), EJ is also a central hub for the ongoing controversy over nudity in yoga ads.

1. YogaJournalYeah, I know I’m going to get some hate (e)mail for putting Yoga Journal Magazine’s website at number one, but the truth is the truth: YJ’s site has the biggest collection of articles about yoga, including numerous home practices and detailed pose instructions. If you want a great yoga website, you need to include not only the lifestyle of yoga, but also the detailed complexity of the practice itself – after all, the practice of yoga is the one thing all us yogis have in common.

Note: This post is part of my 27 Things to Know About Yoga Blog Book Tour! A big thank you to Waylon & all the folks at Elephant Journal for being a part of my online adventure in book promotion.

Desktop/Tablet banner

About Victoria Klein

Introduced to Yoga in 2000 at a gym in Connecticut, my personal practice has taken me through a crippling post-high-school era of depression and anxiety, 3 cross-country relocations, + the general rollercoaster of life. In 2012, I fulfilled a major item on my bucket list by graduating from the True Nature School of Yoga 200-Hour program in Oceanside, CA + eagerly began teaching as an RYT 200. In 2013, I've continued my dedication to education by taking True Nature's 500-Hour program, progressing toward the RYT 500 designation. Also a professional freelance writer since 2005, my first book, 27 Things to Know about Yoga, was published in 2010. I previously worked the front desk at the well-known Yoga Tree studios in San Francisco + in the production department at Yoga Journal Magazine. In my spare time, you’ll find me cooking, running, taking lots of pictures, being a Marine Corps spouse, and infusing Yoga into my entire life. My Yoga classes are a dynamic blend of effort + ease, sweating + relaxation, with numerous opportunities + options given to make each individual class easier or harder, depending on how you feel that day. As a teacher, I strive to help my students find clarity, compassion, + patience, both on + off the mat. FYI: you should join my newsletter so you don't miss any of the fun! You can also connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, + Pinterest!

Elephriends - Mindful Partners

190x1902-EJ-clothing

81 Responses to “Top 10 Yoga Websites.”

1. [...] Welcome to Week 3! It’s Day 11 & the tour is visiting Waylon at Elephant Journal with a guest post he personally requested I write for him: Top 10 Yoga Websites. [...]

2. A big thanks to Waylon, Lindsey, & everyone at Elephant Journal for being a part of my Blog Book Tour! :D

3. marianne says:

These are excellent, and thank you for featuring a few that are new to me! Let me add the relatively newly launched YogoGlo for streaming, on-demand, classes from some of the best teachers in the country! All for a reasonable monthly membership fee. I don't use it nearly as often as I should, and sometimes I just observe instead of practice, but I am always impressed. http://www.yogaglo.com

4. Andrew says:

I would think yogaglo would be on that list. It is probably the most impressive site in terms of "why didn't I think of that?"

5. Tricia ptak says:

Feedback on mine would be appreciated.

Metta

6. YogiOne says:

I think I might rank Yoga International just a tweek higher than Martha Stewart. #4? Really? Very nice list tough. I like all of them and realized there are some I need to add to my blog list.

7. Vanita says:

Agreed re: Yoga International. I also would rate Yogaglo higher than Yoga Today. I know it's not free, but it has classes with Kathryn Budig and Elena Brower!!

8. YogaDawg says:

YorkDork is great! Here is a few other that I consider essential yoga blog reading:

It's All Yoga Baby http://itsallyogababy.com/

Linda's Yoga Journey http://lindasyoga.blogspot.com/

Think Body Electric http://thinkbodyelectric.blogspot.com/

YogaSpy http://yogaspy.wordpress.com/

9. Hi, YogaDawg.

I was going to suggest all those, plus Brooks Hall's ever-inspiring Yoga Muse.

Thanks for the list, Victoria.

Bob W.

10. Melisse says:

Of course, I'm partial to http://www.WellandGoodNYC.com ! We do a pretty great job of covering breaking news on the enormous NYC yoga scene, from the new Kula Yoga Project in Williamsburg and Jivamukti teachers posing nude for PETA and which teachers, classes, and studios are standouts. Melisse, co-founder of Well+Good

11. Derik Mills says:

Just want to say thanks to all for sharing the YogaGlo love!

Also check out http://spoiledyogi.blogspot.com/ and http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/yoga

Derik Mills
    YogaGlo Founder

12. Claudia Azula Altucher claudia says:

Thank you Victoria, great list, I also like http://grimmly2007.blogspot.com/ for the wealth of resources from the point of view of a very dedicated practitioner and http://leapinglanka.blogspot.com/ for interesting thoughts on Ashtanga. When I tire of yoga I also like the cartoons in this one http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/09/tro

13. [...] Bhaktifest 2010 This past weekend I spent 72 hours in Joshua Tree, California at the incredible yoga and kirtan explosion that is Bhaktifest. Over 4,000 people gathered in the desert to sing kirtan [...]

14. YogaDawg says:

And because I forget, three more great yoga websites that I keep checking into to get the feel of what working yoga looks like:

Grounding Thru the Sit Bones – http://groundingthruthesitbones.blogspot.com/

Nikki Chau – http://www.nikkichau.com/

Svasti: A Journey From Assult to Wholeness – http://svasti.wordpress.com/

15. YogaDork yogadork says:

Thanks Victoria for the inclusion of YogaDork and the awesome write-up!

16. Kallimamma says:

Agree – My Yoga Online is an amazing site. One the top of my list.

17. Thanks, indrasingh! Any list is a great change to start a conversation, so I'm glad that you added your link into the mix. :)

18. Guy Leisure says:

OMFG who cares about yoga websites. Shame on you all for pretending that this is anything but a death knell for yoga.
    Do not go to websites for any information about yoga. Go to a teacher and then practice to see for yourself. If you spent 1/10th the time practicing as you do reading self referential blogs as you do practicing there would be no doubt in your mind about how to practice. Get off the carnival ride it is on fire from the flames of ego and self promotion.

19. I need a new yoga mat, any suggestions?

20. Rolande Vos says:

Hi, I'm a Yoga Mat fanatic. What's your favorite brand of yoga mats?

21. castellani says:

Victoria,

Thank you for mentioning Yoganomics. I am always working to keep it moving and to keep it specific. It really means a lot.

- Brian

22. sex chat says:

Flora &kjdfhjdfkj has compiled a "Red List" of endangered fruit and nut species in the skjdfs. Critically endangered species include pears, hawthorns, currants, and barberries. Some of these things are down to a single tiny population.

23. Fun post. Good to see the variety of content and blogs within the yoga niche.

24. Jonathan says:

My favorite is DoYogaWithMe.com, because of its comprehensive approach. They have a wide variety of yoga class videos, along with great video tutorials on how to do poses, yoga anatomy and breathing techniques. Great audio meditations too, that you can download. And it's all free!

25. Earl Schaub says:

I enjoyed reading the list and it's very helpful. I would love to see Yoga Tune Up on the list because I've personally enjoyed their online yoga videos, perhaps you can extend the list to maybe top 50 :)

26. [...] Top 10 Yoga Websites: An article by Elephant Journal [...]

27. Collen Scandalis says:

It’s in the Multiple D PLAYBOOK Under Nickle (1-5-5)

28. seo says:

I used to be recommended this website via my cousin. I am now not sure whether this submit is written by means of him as nobody else recognise such exact about my problem. You are incredible! Thanks!

29. Great article . there are so many businesses that hire a web designer/developer .but first its complesary to know everything about them and then hire ,this article give knowledge that..

30. [...] YogaTips for Efficient Yoga Website DesignYoga website design and development, LondonYoga Web DesignTop 10 Yoga Websites. ~ Victoria Klein .recentcomments a{display:inline !important;padding:0 !important;margin:0 [...]

31. Mimi says:

Checkout our yoga /Buddhism inspired artwork http://www.massdesign.biz/TJGSHOP/gallery.php

32. [...] to choose from, Yoga Today has one of the biggest online collections of full-length yoga classes, according to 27 Things to Know About Yoga author Victoria Klein. “One of the first (and still one of the best) online yoga class websites, Yoga Today’s [...]

33. [...] to choose from, Yoga Today has one of the biggest online collections of full-length yoga classes, according to 27 Things to Know About Yoga author Victoria Klein. “One of the first (and still one of the best) online yoga class websites, Yoga Today’s [...]

34. amit says:

nice website information thanks for this!!!

35. @yogaonline says:

http://Yogasync.tv is another video site one where you can customize your own videos in The software edit other peoples Yoga Routines . Its pretty amazing, definitely worth checking out if you want to create your own video classes.

36. Henryka marks says:

Nice list shared here. I have one more site which is best for Yoga : http://www.ataia-yoga.ch/ – add this site in your list.

37. website says:

Website Design India +91-8800700773
    Website Design India is a Total Websites Support Company, Offer Websites Support Services Under an Annual Contract at Extremely Affordable Rates, We offers end-to-end Websites Solutions Which includes Domain Registration.

Keywords
    Website Design India

Contact Us :
    Websites Helpline
    D – 67
    Sector – 2, Noida, (U.P)
    Email Id: info@websitesupportindia.com
    Phone No.: +91 – 8800700773

38. You might have opened up my eyes right now with this thx

39. Anurag says:

List is good but missing on Arhanta Yoga Ashram, India

40. abhinam Yoga says:

Thanks Victoria for the awesome list.

Yoga in Goa