Get Your Om On, Online.
Yoga is everywhere – and I do mean everywhere – these days. But with popularity comes falsehoods, especially on the internet. Where do you go when you want good, honest information about yoga? Why, these top 10 yoga websites!
10. GreenYoga: The online home of the Green Yoga Association, a northern California-based organization keen on promoting eco-friendly living and action through all aspects of yoga. They’re most well-known for their programs helping yoga studios and events operate more sustainably, along with green getaways and helpful newsletters.
9. Yoganomics: New in the online yoga scene, this website was started by former Yoga Journal employee Brian Castellani. Initially inspired by the focus on yoga regulations and licensing, “Yoganomics’ mission statement is to be the blueprint of yoga development as an intuitive and collaborative ‘self help’ resource guide for any yoga teacher, yoga business, or community of yoga.” So far, he’s accomplishing this goal through an online marketplace, blog articles, videos, and a growing social community.
8. Yoganonymous: Another newer website, Yoganonymous features teacher profiles, spotlighted studios, upcoming events, giveaways, free mix-tape-style music collections, and intelligent articles (including those by some Elephant Journal writers!).
7. YogaToday: One of the first (and still one of the best) online yoga class websites, Yoga Today’s classes are filmed in beautiful studios and gorgeous Southwest outdoor locations. With qualified instructors, three membership options (yes, free is an option) and over 200 classes to choose from, Yoga Today is one of the biggest online collections of full-length yoga classes.
6. MindBodyGreen: Started as a user-submitted eco-news site, MindBodyGreen has grown into a professionally-written, regularly-updated wellness website. Of course, being a wellness site, they have a whole section decided to yoga (and Pilates), featuring news, pose instructions, and interviews with celebrities and yoga professionals.
5. Life.Gaiam: Part of the conscious-lifestyle shop Gaiam, the Life.Gaiam.com website is all about – you guessed it – living a better life through health-based, spiritual, and sustainable practices. One of my favorite features is their Yoga Answers and Solutions Go-To Guide, a great introduction to the many articles, videos, and DVDs the site has to offer on the subject of yoga.
4. WholeLiving: Ms. Martha Stewart maintains a regular yoga practice, so it comes as no surprise that her healthy living magazine, Whole Living (previously Body+Soul), features over 100 pages about yoga, including pranayama (breathing) and strength-training focused practices.
3. YogaDork: In its 3rd year, Yoga Dork is a great, often-updated blog about the latest in yoga news, including Hollywood and yoga celebrities, books, DVDs, medical studies, and more. The folks that comment aren’t afraid to be opinionated, so interesting conversations ensue regularly.
2. ElephantJournal: You can’t have a list of best yoga websites & not include Elephant Journal. Full of articles about all aspects of the yoga lifestyle (many of which are written by actual yoga teachers), EJ is also a central hub for the ongoing controversy over nudity in yoga ads.
1. YogaJournal: Yeah, I know I’m going to get some hate (e)mail for putting Yoga Journal Magazine’s website at number one, but the truth is the truth: YJ’s site has the biggest collection of articles about yoga, including numerous home practices and detailed pose instructions. If you want a great yoga website, you need to include not only the lifestyle of yoga, but also the detailed complexity of the practice itself – after all, the practice of yoga is the one thing all us yogis have in common.
hot on elephant
Elephant Journal’s Holiday Gift Guide 636 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 655 shares Waylon’s favorite Ethical Gifts. 13 shares Learn Social Media, Writing, Editing & Journalism Ethics with elephantjournal.com. 9 shares Dear Pretty Young Woman Flirting with my Husband. 4,493 shares The Astrology of 2017: Letting Go & Shining your Light. 2,082 shares The Real Reason so many Long-term Relationships Fail Sexually. 1,148 share Why a Year of No Dating was the Best Thing I ever did for Myself. 8,589 shares I’m a Woman Sex Educator who Doesn’t Believe in Foreplay—Here’s Why. 965 shares One Perfect Thing to Say to Someone who Knows they are Dying. 1,201 share