Top 10 Money Saving Tips for Yoga Lovers.

Via
on Oct 27, 2010
get elephant's newsletter

Rich in Spirituality but Struggling in this Brutal Economy?

Yogadork: Click image for source.

1. Towels: Instead of renting a towel, save a buck by grabbing some paper towels from the rest room. If the studio has hand dryers instead of paper towels, use newspaper.

2. Free Week: Already used up your free trial week? No problem. Pretend that you just moved to town and haven’t made a commitment to a yoga studio yet. “Hi I’m Fred Schligowitz and I just moved here and I’d like to take advantage of your free trial period.” If you’ve tried that one too many times, try doing it with a fake beard.

3. Student Discount:
Too old to be a student but want to take advantage of that cheaper rate? Explain that you are getting a PHD in quantum mechanics. If the front desk person needs to see a student ID, explain that matter is made up of atoms and that atoms are 98% space and 2% electrical energy and that ID cards are not really real.

4. Can’t Pay Your Rent?: By making a few subtle changes to your daily schedule, you can turn your yoga studio into the cheapest hotel in the world. Shower? Check. Toilet? Check. But what about sleep? Easy! Start with the 6 A.M. class and take full advantage of your teacher’s reminder to listen to your body and rest whenever you feel the need. Pile four yoga mats on top of one another to make a comfortable bed. By 3 o’clock, you’ll be ready for whatever the night has to offer. And remember, Kinko’s and Denny’s are open 24 hours a day.

`

5. No Mat?
The Universe always provides. Did you know that there are always mats from the class that just ended hanging up to dry? Oh sure, they’re a little damp, but you have paper towels/newspaper for that.

6. Free Water While In Class:
When the person next to you is in twisted triangle pose, secretly reach over and take a giant swig of their purified alkalized water from that fancy stainless steel container. Take it from me, they’ll never know.

`

7. Free Yoga Clothes: Lost and found is an excellent way to ‘find’ that lost pair of Lululemon pants that you thought were gone forever but that you really never
bought in the first place.

8. Networking:
The next time your teacher asks you to introduce yourself to the
person next to you, don’t forget to ask them if they’re hiring at their office or country estate.

9. Share the Wealth: Take advantage of the $5 referral bounty and bring in all of your unemployed/homeless friends for a round of free yoga. They’ll enjoy the hot showers and toilets too.

10. Free Food:
Did you know that teacher training can cost up to $3,000? The good news is that the fee includes free snack food like those delicious Safeway baby carrots that you love so much. Not a student teacher? No one will ever know if you walk around with a notebook and a highlighter.

Extra Credit: Act Like You Own The Joint: Walk into the studio wearing a red bandana. No one will dare to ask you for your scan card because you’ll immediately be mistaken for Baron Baptist.

About Mark Kreloff

Mark Kreloff is an entrepreneur in Boulder, Colorado. He started his yoga practice 10 years ago with a “donation only” class in Santa Monica taught by Bryan Kest. To this day, it was the best class he has ever taken in his life.

Comments

17 Responses to “Top 10 Money Saving Tips for Yoga Lovers.”

1. Don says:

When I first started doing yoga, I enrolled in a class through the Parks and Rec Dept. and thoroughly enjoyed the classes. After a couple of years, I started going to some of the local studios and discovered my first teacher was the best one around. So not only am I paying the $7 a class, I also have quality yoga instruction. So sometimes it's worthwhile to check the other avenue of classes, there might be another gem hiding in them.

2. lyl says:

thanks for the great laugh! I am always in pursuit of free yoga and offer it (at no charge) to students and seniors when I teach a community class. I also volunteer at my studio for our donation only class. I love Bryan Kest, and haven't seen his name for awhile, thanks for making me think of my early days of yoga with a VHS of Bryan in my third floor apartment years and years ago…. namaste ~

3. murray says:

funny dude!

4. Katie says:

Why the picture of Aborigines? Are they supposed to be the homeless friends?!

5. sitar says:

great, so your ideas as to how to create abundance in a scarce time involve lying, cheating, and stealing.
    forsaking yama and niyama in order to practice asana. classy.

this is one of the most unconscious things i've read on this site and im astounded that it was even printed.

6. Not The Buddha says:

Very funny as always, Mark! I love to find your stuff here. And it always cracks me up that the need-to-take-a-chill-pill people crawl out of the woodwork. :-)

7. daniel moss says:

another good one is to learn to do yoga on your own! you don't always need a class. just some sun salutes (or any poses you like for that matter) done with patience enjoyment and attention on your breath goes a long way.

8. ear plugs says:

You really make it appear so easy with your presentation but I in finding this matter to be really something which I feel I’d never understand. It seems too complex and extremely vast for me. I am looking forward to your subsequent put up, I will attempt to get the dangle of it!

9. Make your money work harder
    Do not keep savings in a cheque account. Rather, channel all extra cash into an account that will earn you interest. Get the best deal – compare the interest rates on savings, money market and fixed deposits accounts, but take into consideration when you can take your money out.

10. When you are ready to buy your laptop get a good deal, here are tips for getting a good deal:

Compare prices online Money Saving Ideas
    Compare prices on “shopping bots”, which are internet search engines that compare shop databases.

11. Auction action
    Major banks auction off the cars they’ve repossessed, and advertise these auctions in newspapers. Great bargains are available, but take a mechanic to the pre-auction viewing. Online auction fever is hitting South Africa. There’s the old favourite eBay, as well as new sites where you can save heaps on Christmas gifts and other items. To get the best deals on auction sites, bid in the last few minutes – or seconds. Money Saving Tips And Ideas