What if Aliens killed us with Sex?

Via on Oct 26, 2010

So eco-fashion week is gearing up here in the deep south.This year and every year since I have been born camouflage is the craze! It’s hunting season, and everyone is heading out into the woods for the big kill.

Butt loads of intelligent human beings are spending thousands of dollars to shoot an animal for sport. They work forty hours a week as investment bankers, doctors, or whatever then spend $1,500 on a high-tech rifle so they can shoot an animal that weighs 200 lbs. and stands 40 inches off the ground (bigger than most of them)! Possibly sport begins to creep into the picture as the deer is standing there as a motionless target, while it innocently munches on the corn you left behind, or as it struggles to sniff out the mysterious odor you sprinkled on the foot of the tree, which smells an awful lot like a good time!

(pause for dictionary intervention) *Sport—game involving competition or physical exertion.

Sport?!  What the F@ck!

The deer isn’t competing with you, because it has no idea there is a game being played! You lure them there with the two most potent tools in mother natures arsenal; sex and food! People sprinkle doe urine all over the place and feed them corn. Could you imagine the problem we as human beings would face if a superior alien race came down to earth, and set traps that consisted of beautiful half-naked women standing out in the streets handing out free steaks. We would run over each other trying to get across the street! Here is the catch: as you step out into the street you catch a bullet in the neck! Adult males would be extinct in two weeks. What would we think of a race of Aliens that did this for sport? (Whatever our answer, it must be applied to our opinion of human beings!)

There is something really strange about a human being (only known species capable of space travel) getting out of a warm cozy bed at 5 a.m. Then driving past several supermarkets on their way out to the country with the intention of shooting an animal that they have lured there with sex and food, all in the hope of acquiring no necessary resources.

About Benjamin Riggs

Ben Riggs is the director of the Refuge Meditation Group in Shreveport, LA. Ben writes extensively about Buddhist & Christian spirituality and politics for The Good Men Project, Elephant Journal, The Web of Enlightenment, and is the editor & chief for Henry Harbor--an online magazine concerned with art, culture, spirituality, & politics in the deep South. To keep up with all of his work follow him on Facebook or Twitter. Looking for a real bio? Click here to read my story....

28 Responses to “What if Aliens killed us with Sex?”

1. Laurie says:

So, Krystal, let me see if I understand. What I'm reading is that you feel it would be okay as long as the aliens just want to eat us?

2. elephantjournal says:

I loved the above. That said, I think hunters who kill for food do their killing, and consuming more "mindfully" than we consumers who buy our factory-farmed meat in plastic wrap in the grocery.

"Hunting: more moral" http://www.elephantjournal.com/2010/06/deer-hunte

3. Bee says:

I feel as if this whole hunting thing is a bit out of hand. There are many injustices happening with hunting, I especially love the tradition of getting drunk while hunting, but there is also a purpose to it. My family had to hunt in order to feed us. Is there something wrong with that? If a deer was predator wouldn't it need to kill something to sustain its life? Also, not every hunter uses urine and bait to hunt, some people still use a bow and arrow.

I would not enjoy being hunted, who would? But not every hunter is a crazed doctor looking for some sort of extracurricular activity. Some people just need to eat.

4. Ronnie says:

I feel this article is simply a commentary on sport hunters who use hunting methods that are like poaching. I see no judgement here on people who hunt to feed their families, if need be. Additionally, I feel as though some people use this comment section to get on their soapbox and put others down. Bummer.

5. Benjamin Riggs BenRiggs says:

Elaborate…. (not on the elephant journal comment, but on why such analogies are weak.)

6. CaseyCapshaw says:

Right, well your omission in this post of your understanding of this prompted my response. Your introductory statement "It’s hunting season, and everyone is heading out into the woods for the big kill." reads as if your characterization of sport hunters is what "everyone" in the woods hunting is doing.

I think we are in agreement that "sport" hunting is sad and, I would say, dehumanizing.

My name is Casey Capshaw. I am a hunter with profound respect for our shared environment and our place in it.

Nice to meet you.

• Benjamin Riggs BenRiggs says:

Well it is nice to meet you as well…
      Thank you for reading the article and engaging in discussion. Hope to do so again.
      Oh, and p.s. There was an element of being light hearted and poking fun, which I accomplished by making a straw man out of the subject… So, if that offended you I apologize.

• elephantjournal says:

Great comment, Casey, and glad that we can be respectful in our dialouge, and learn from one another. I fear that not too many hunters are "mindful," or would even be open to being characterized as such. I lived in Vermonth for years, and while I loved the tradition, there was a flip attitude toward (animals') pain and death. It was sport.

And, obviously, a one-sided sport with all advantages on one side, and all danger on the other.

7. Benjamin Riggs BenRiggs says:

I must say I am very shocked, in a good way; pleased even. I thought Elephant Journal's readership was much more one sided! I had no idea I would have one person reply in a negative way to this article due to content.

8. elephantjournal says:

Anti-intellectual? We have a broad spectrum of writers—many of whom are versed in philosophy, come from academia…and, yes, many of whom veer toward the touchy feely. Our goal is neither, particularly: just to present a personal, informed stories that help us all to live a good life that's also good for others, and our planet.

You're welcome to write yourself, any time, help broaden our spectrum further? Unless you'd prefer, as I'd guess, to offer flip condescension—it's so much easier to criticize, than to contribute. If I'm wrong, which I frequently am, email us at editorial at elephantjournal dot com. The title of your first piece could be "Why elephant journal should be more than anti-intellectual blather."

Yours, Waylon

9. Beth Slusher says:

Wow…what a dialog! I never suspected the outcry from people who hunt for food. To me, that seems like a whole different issue, and not the issue Ben addressed in the article. Living off the land and honoring animals (and plants) that are consumed is an ancient and sacred way to live. What isn't sacred is luring an animal to its death so its head can be mounted over a fireplace.

• Benjamin Riggs BenRiggs says:

Yeah Beth I was really surprised that the readership on Elephant Journal reacted do strongly to this subject matter… But that is a good thing, and I have enjoyed the discussion. Thanks for reading the article.

10. Vanita says:

I grew up in the deep south where hunting clubs for rich white men were the norm during hunting season. These hunting clubs took up fair amounts of land, but were still FENCED. I even heard stories (never personally verified) that buffalo were brought in to hunt and sweeten the pot.

At the time I was not yet a vegetarian, but the whole thing seemed sick to me. I couldn't see why someone would "hunt" what were basically contained animals. Like someone mentioned – big ass deer on a wall. Big ass deer, big ass tires on a big ass truck. Trying to prove what?

11. Gwen says:

Great article Ben- I get it. And actually had a visual of men running in the street to get "a peek" and a steak! Good read!
    Looks like it struck a few nerves–

12. candicegarrett says:

oh my god. This was so hilarious. And great. And had me in stitches. I was raised in a hunting family, have a good aim, but can't (won't) kill an animal for anything. That being said, I think that if you can truly *know* where your meat is coming from , if you can kill it and gut it and still eat it, then power to you. Because most people think meat grows on trees in pretty yellow styrofoam packages and get grossed out by any stray ligaments in their food.
    But this was a GREAT article, all around and my husband and I LOVED it.

• Benjamin Riggs BenRiggs says:

Glad you enjoyed the article… I certainly agree that if you are going to eat meat then hunting is better than Wal-Mart. It is more genuine, cheaper, and healthier.

13. Benjamin Riggs BenRiggs says:

I agree that hunting is more genuine than buying meat at Wal-Mart. Healthier and cheaper too… But i disagree that someone who is hunting for these reasons is "sporting." Is farming a sport? I find the idea that I am justified in getting my rocks off by killing other living creatures deplorable! See comment below

14. Benjamin Riggs BenRiggs says:

I understand where you are coming from… I am not a "Boulderite"; I live in Louisiana. So I know that eating organic, non-gmo, fair trade vegan products is not only expensive when you do not have a "super-organic-market", but sometime is downright impossible. Part of my article is light hearted and poking fun, and part of it is a very serious critique of "sport hunting", which I will define as thrill seeking at the expense of another living creature! (see comment at the bottom of the page just below candice garrets comment)

15. KJB says:

We are the predator and the prey, the aliens and the humans. We are destructive and corruptible, yet we are also reasonable and just. Capable of that which is most beautiful and awe inspiring while equally susceptible to the whims, and some times lamentable malice, of our misguided ignorance and impertinent curiosities.

With respect, peace and prayers. (thank you for reading)

16. Kendra says:

continued:
    The truth is, each and every one of you could survive on a vegetative diet, it is a choice that you kill and eat animals, and unless you live on a frozen tundra, it has zero to do with necessity or survival. It is sport, plain and simple and I have way more respect for people who cop to that, rather than trying to justify it.

17. Kyle says:

Hunting animals (for food purposes) is a shit-ton more humane than factory farming. Fact. I think that most of these hunters indeed use the meat they kill. Admittedly, they probably are not near as efficient or waste-reducing as a Native American tribesman would be, but still, I think most hunters do not hunt *only* for sport.

18. Kyle says:

Oh, & FYI, we are the aliens' crop, they our farmers. It's a higher order in the food chain though, they feed off energy. All the bajillion abductee stories are examples of them trying to hone their craft of scientific soul extraction.

19. Hunting animals for food is really the ancient people practiced.They get there food in the forest of wild animals and vegetables that they know can be eaten raw.As of know we are no longer that abundant of wild animals in the forest because the continuous an aware of the their doings.Hunting animals is just fine if you not abuse that authority to hunt wild animals then never will happen they will be extinct.Everyone should understand the nature balance.Everything that is too much can harm.