Homebirth Unveiled—The Voice & Heart of Homebirth Mothers. (150+photos)

Via on Nov 18, 2010

The Intimate Moments of Homebirth.

My intention with this blog is to create awareness and understanding around homebirth. As you read each entry, please be mindful that each Mama has opened her heart and shares her most intimate moments with you in order to create awareness and understanding, as well as to inspire others to choose to birth at home.

Once upon a time, at the birth of the United States of America, most women birthed at home. The birth knowledge, birth intuition, birth wisdom and power belonged with women and midwives. In a brief 200 year period of our history, women have lost their power, given it away and it has been taken.

Now, many women are:

• - choosing to re-claim their innate and intuitive abilities and wisdom to birth without fear.
  • - consciously choosing to not partake in the fear that society and the medical community has created around birth.
  • choosing love in birth and birthing in love.
  • - tuning into the messages of their bodies and allowing their bodies to birth new life onto this earth as they instinctively and intuitively know how to do.
  • - reclaiming and embracing their power and trusting themselves and their babies!

The moment of conception intimately takes place within our homes. The moments of parenting and raising our children take place within our homes. Let us embrace the intimate and sacred moments of birth in our own homes, surrounded by loving presence and surrendering to trust and our higher power.

The vibration of love at birth instead of fear allows our babies to maintain their highest radiance and life force, as is evident in these beautiful photographs. The vibration of love at birth helps Mama to open her heart, her place of connection between the divine and earth.

Our bodies are perfectly designed to both grow and birth healthy happy babies.

Again, please view this blog with the deepest respect and admiration possible for these beautiful women, babies, and families. Please notice your thoughts and feelings as they arise when you are viewing the photos and reading the statements of reflections from these gracious mothers. Please do share your thoughts and feelings so that the mothers will know that they are both respected and admired for sharing their experiences and for what they have accomplished – beauty in birth – bringing beauty to life. Thank you mothers!

• Be advised that Helene is not to be held responsible for any conceptions that occur as a result of the impact that viewing this blog may have. :-)

Welcome to Homebirth.

More Information

If you would like more information, visit Mothers Naturally to learn more about home births, pregnancy nutrition, the benefits of having a midwife, and much more. Also visit Citizens for Midwifery, a national consumer-based group promoting the Midwives Model of Care! CfM works to provide information and resources promote the local midwife, as well as midwives and midwifery care across the United States! Also subscribe to Midwifery Today to check out birth stories, articles, news and review. For more information on the history of midwifery and homebirth, read the book “Midwives, Nurses, and Witches: A History of Women Healers” by Barbara Ehrenreich.

The Normalizing Homebirth Project Inc.

Inspired by the heart and voice of these beautiful and courageous homebirth mothers who have shared their experiences, I have founded a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation, The Normalizing Homebirth Project Inc., whose mission is to support homebirth mothers with scholarships and homebirth mentoring. Support this project today with as little as $5 and give the gift of homebirth to a family who would otherwise be unable to birth at home due to insurance companies refusal to cover the cost of homebirth. The financial cost of homebirth is far less than a hospital birth (literally thousands and in some cases even tens of thousands less), yet many insurance providers refuse to cover the cost for a homebirth midwife. Every woman deserves a choice!

If you are a woman interested in homebirth or planning a homebirth, please do consider the invaluable service of regular emotional support through telephone communication with a homebirth mentor. Through grants and donations that we receive we plan to offer scholarships and in the near future we will have the application available from our website.

You can become involved today in supporting this grassroots effort in several ways. We are looking for volunteers to serve as Homebirth Mentors. Donations and fundraisers are greatly appreciated and accepted. More volunteer opportunities are on the horizon.

“Be the change you wish to see in the world!” Mahatma Gandhi.

Would you like to be involved in future creative projects to bring awareness to divine mothering and birthing with love?

Here’s how:

1. Mother Divine – A compilation of poems on mothering from mothers around the globe. Submit your poem here.
  2. Homebirth Unveiled – The book! Similar to this blog, Homebirth Unveiled – the book, will serve to inspire others with the voice and heart of homebirth mothers. (The process for submitting your photo and reflection is separate from this blog.) Coming Soon!
  3. Honoring the Feminine with Words of the Heart – Open Mic in Boulder, Colorado. This poetry, short story and song event will serve as a fundraiser for the Normalizing Homebirth Project Inc. on Friday January 28th at 7pm. Your $20 love donation includes drinks and desserts. Please register by emailing Helene (helene@towardthelight.biz). Materials and support are available to assist you in organizing your own fundraiser for the Normalizing Homebirth Project Inc.
  4. In order to participate in upcoming publications with me at Elephant Journal blogs for birth and mothering, friend me on facebook or subscribe to my blog!

Final Words of Thanks

This project has given me an opportunity to connect with so many women on different levels. I have thoroughly enjoyed, from the depths of my heart, hearing your stories and creating positive dialogue about natural birth and homebirth. I appreciate your willingness and openness to give of yourselves through this blog. You are amazing, powerful and beautiful women! May you continue to share your stories of love and open your hearts to the beauty all around us. Yours in service, Helene.

About Helene Rose

Helene Rose, MS, is passionate about supporting women to live brilliant lives and founded Be Brilliant Network LLC to serve as a portal for women to step into their radiance. Her life experience provides her with a deeply compassionate perspective and understanding of the modern woman’s struggle for mindful living and feminine empowerment. She lives in Boulder, CO with her family. Read more about Helene >>> HERE.

53 Responses to “Homebirth Unveiled—The Voice & Heart of Homebirth Mothers. (150+photos)”

1. Megan Johnson says:

Absolutely beautiful and amazing Helene!! It fills me with joy to see so many woman who have birthed their babies at home!! It really gives me a sense of unity with those I don't even know. I wish every woman could feel the joy and ecstasy that comes along with giving birth in the loving environment of home. Maybe, with this blog and the Normalizing Homebirth website, homebirth will once again become the norm! How wonderful would that be! Thank you Helene, for doing this.

2. Meara says:

You came up with such a fantastic project. Thank you for your dedication, Helene. Keep up the great work!

3. Danielle says:

Thank You for letting me be apart of this amazing project! great job!!

4. Emilie says:

This brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for creating such an incredible project that will surely touch so many women!

5. ~♥April♥~ says:

Thanks so much for putting this all together! It's beautiful!! ♥
    ~*April Rogers*~ (mom of Jacklyn – picture #35)

6. Chrissy says:

Amazing and beautiful photos. Thanks so much for normalzing homebirth.

7. Mara says:

This is beautiful and I feel so special and honored to be pictured here with my second baby:)

8. Debby says:

Breathtaking! The passionate, profound soul of homebirth is shown in all its spectacular incarnations. The faces, the adoration for brand-new babes that have come to their parents in an environment of total support and faith, are utterly beautiful. I feel my own home waterbirth memories so vividly! Thank you.

9. Lynn says:

Big "like" on this project Helene and heartfelt thanks to all of these women for allowing us a peak into their most intimate moments in their lives!! The oxytocin comes flying off the photo stream and one can't help but be filled with feelings of Love and amazement in the wonders of Birth!!

10. Catie says:

Thank you for taking the time to put this together and share. It is so important.
    Gracias por compartir algo tan importante con nosotros!

11. allison says:

I love this. what a beautiful project.

12. Evelyn says:

Beautifully put together, to Helena and all the mothers. I’m pregnant with my first baby and I’m looking forward to the delivery, thanks for the support!

13. Rosel says:

Although I made the choice to not have children, I appreciate the beauty and joy reflected in this article. Nicely done!!

14. candicegarrett says:

Love this. My last son was a homebirth!

15. Erin says:

Awesome! I love all the pictures! I can not wait to experience yet another wonderful homebirth!

16. Kim Sequoia says:

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful testament to home birth!

17. Lori says:

Love the beauty of homebirth, love the stories, the photos, the families. I do. But, honestly? Not one person of color? This is a white world, I know it. I'm in it, I live it…trust me. But not one? And no one ever seems to notice or care or see anything wrong with us portraying images of mostly all white women doing this work. ALL women need to see themselves birthing babies at home. Privilege is a big part of it, yes. But I know there are plenty of families of color birthing babies at home all over this world! Let's make an effort to include them visually. Please. With all the racial and ethnic disparities in health care, especially social problems surrounding birth, this needs to become a priority. All in peace and love. <3 ~ Lori, doula, mommy, wife, homebirther.

• Helene Rose helene_rose says:

There are a few women of color … its hard to tell from the photos. The third one from the bottom and another closer to the middle. I would have liked more, but I this is what I received. Are you a woman of color? If so, I'd love you to participate in the book.

18. Christy says:

Absolutely beautiful!!! I am in love with un-interfered with homebirth, and have been blessed to have two at home (first in a birth center). It is the best way to birth, and I can not fathom trying to birth in a hospital. I talk about homebirth all the time because I love it so much. Thanks so much for creating this gorgeous collection of photos and stories.

19. Helene Rose helene_rose says:

Thank you all for your supportive comments! So glad to hear your wonderful stories! Please forward this to your friends and family and let's normalize homebirth together! Today! Peace.

20. Sojourner Marable says:

Wonderful blessings! Thank you for the post!

21. Jennifer says:

Thank you! Beautiful and moving….my 3 were all born without intervention and midwife assisted in birthing centers and their births were empowering and wonderful, but each time, the trip to the birthing center was a ghastly interruption and I have wistfully longed that my children were birthed at home. Assisted homebirth is expensive though and was beyond our reach at that time. Blessings to those who are able to make that choice, and let's move toward a time where homebirth is considered normal and available to all who choose it.

22. Innisfreepoetry says:

Birth in this manner has the capacity to heal lifetimes of pain. It felt as such for me during my homebirth. Thank you for helping to normalize & encourage this courageous & divine process.

23. [...] was looking at the article about home births on Elephant Journal the other day and it reminded me of one of my favorite films, Stan Brakhage’s Window Water Baby [...]

24. A beautiful project….easy to do with such beautiful subjects/subject matter. I birthed my 1st daughter at home in 1988 and my second daughter at home in 1995. Each birth further simplified and radicalized my thoughts around birthing, women's health care, parenting and my living life philosophy.

Thanks for the love you put into this work. Thank you.

25. milkstained says:

The photos just kept going and going and going! So beautiful, every one!

Thank you so much for sharing.

26. [...] and realize we now have something again we don’t want to lose. I instinctively told her a story of the birth of one of mine. And there I was suddenly looking at the most beautiful amazing child, perfect in [...]

27. I'm a homebirth Momma and natural Childbirth educator and I love that these stories are here for Mommas to read. The first step to having a great birth is simply realizing that it's possible. Look at how many Mommas are having amazing and deeply satisfying experiences! You can too! The next step is finding out how you do it… and then you do it. Mommas you are capable of so much more than you could ever imagine please don't short change yourself. You are AMAZING!

28. [...] “Must-Haves” For a Mindful Birthing Day! Whether you are staying home or birthing out of home, begin preparation for this special day early in pregnancy for a smooth, [...]

29. Dinn says:

WOW !…what can you say nature at it's best.

30. Kristin says:

Just fanastic! Homebirth is unique and life-changing – a double whammy on top of birth itself. I couldn't imagine birthing my baby any other way!
    How can I contribute my photo? :-)

31. [...] you are comfortable with and can trust. 5. Trust your body and your instincts. Know that many, many women before you have taken this journey and have succeeded. Believe that you are capable of wonderful and awesome things and that this is [...]

32. [...] This was my first home birth, my third birth, and by far my most transformational. I had my first son as a single teen mother. That birth was highly medicated and very traumatic. I [...]

33. [...] hospital birth. I also believe it to be the best choice for my family and for my babies – to be able to enter the world in such a peaceful and gentle way. I am very sensitive to my surroundings during labor and I generally do much better when I am [...]

34. [...] when I witnessed and participated in the linking of two generations of my family, when I felt my wife’s power and glimpsed her true self, and when I met this brand new family member for the first [...]

35. [...] 14:11 PM   #3   http://www.elephantjournal.com/2010/…ers-150photos/ Some stories and pictures from home births, I will add links as I come across them [...]

36. Free says:

Wonderful!
    I had my last 2 at home and it was the bes start I could have given them.

37. [...] Homebirth Unveiled: The Voice and Heart of Homebirth Mothers (150+ photos) [...]

38. Yasica greenbless says:

So beautiful!! <3

Posted on EJ Health & Wellness Facebook

Jessica Stone Baker
    Co-Editor, Elephant Health & Wellness
    The Mindful Body

39. [...] Want to hear from more homebirth Mamas?? Click HERE! [...]

40. Maha says:

having a natural birthing experience seems to retain the magic of giving birth to life. it is natural for your body and your baby but please don't kid yourself and put yourself and your baby at risk by thinking it will come to you easily or naturally if you haven't been living NATURALLY for years. if you've had a desk job and live a typical western style life and you can't poop or pee in a squat you and your body is out of shape you are out of your mind if you think you can risk a home birth.

• brettiepage says:

How is this comment polite, useful, or medically/scientifically informed? I know many many mothers who don't live a "natural" life by the criteria you describe who have successfully experienced home birth. Of course, being in good physical condition helps however you want to go about birthing a child.

41. Ariel Gilbertson says:

I've had 4 hospital births and 7 home births. (yes I've given birth 11 times). All I can say about all of this is EXACTLY!!

42. Sun says:

This is so precious…beautiful. I wish so much that I could have had my births at home. After attempting for a few days of labor at home in my tub with midwives and a lovely support system, sadly I am one of those women that would have passed on in child birth without medical intervention just as many other women do in other areas of our world. As I observe these wonderful births in your photos I cant help but feel shame that I couldn't bring my children to my chest in the comfort of my home. After years, I have learned to make peace with my body and give thanks for my C-sections that have allowed me to be here for my children. You all have the beautiful gift of a healthy birthing body and to those who share my experience, you know the sadness and pain that comes from births that dont go as planned. Lets remember to join together as women and mothers and support each other whole hearted! I LOVE that homebirths are so popular and although my children were not born at home, I would not have not changed a single moment of my attempts. I hope all women that see this are reminded of how powerful we are as women. Blessings!

• brettiepage says:

Sun, you should never feel shame about your body because this style of birthing didn't work for you. If you had a healthy baby and retained your health following the birth of your child, then you did a great job. I love your message of all women supporting each other in their vast variety of choices and means to deliver healthy babies.

43. Susan Moray says:

What people who oppose home birth, for healthy, low risk women, don't understand is that the empowerment that women gain from participating fully in their birth leads to a confidence that's needed, not only to parent their children, but to live in a world where women's wisdom and power is not honored. Those who think it's selfish to want a birth experience that's positive are separating women into parts – the baby maker, the person who delivers that baby (the care provider) and the mother. Those can be and are all the same person if medicalized birth would stop meddling.

44. Tara Greene says:

I had both of my children at home, my son 30 years ago when midwives weren't lisenced and my daughter 15 years ago when they were. I knew I had to have a home birth inspite of everyone else being against me. I knew I had to be empowered and to do it for my child's sake. Both labours were long and slow, not painful, I totally trusted them midwives. At my daughter's birth I found the younger midwife to be more clinical; luckily I had more experienced midwives who backed up my decision to remain at home to give birth. Leah came out a perfect 10 alert and smiling. I connected with all the foremothers. I highly recommend home birthing as the only way to give birth.

45. Laura says:

Nice, but one should not judge others who give birth at a hospital, sometimes, there is a need for that as well.