Well, if you did it, you probably really did it.
All you can do now is repair the damage. Hangovers happen when your liver is overloaded and can’t keep up with removing toxins and chemicals.
Alcohol = Toxins + chemicals
Hangovers = alcohol + overburdened liver – water
I can’t help you erase the embarrassing memories, but I can recommend my top 7 hang over cures.
Skip the over the counter meds. They just add to your overburdened and revengeful liver. Aspirin, Tylenol and Advil aren’t going to make your liver happy again.
1. Rehydrate. Drink water before bed and drink it again the moment you wake up. Alcohol is a natural diuretic. Chances are you weren’t drinking water last night so not only are you depleted, you’re dehydrated.
2. Make yourself a celery and fresh pineapple smoothie. Celery contains: potassium, vitamins B1, B2, B6, C, and K, folic acid, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and sodium. It’s rich in fiber as well as essential amino acids and facilitates bowel movements. (Yeah, I just wrote that) Pineapple brings a host of enzymes to your belly since it contains Bromelain. This enzyme encourages healing and is naturally anti-inflammatory
~Here’s the recipe I snatched off the Cooking Channel.
4 celery stalks, 1 apple, 1 TBS of honey, 1 banana and a cup of pineapple. Add a handful of ice and blend.
3. Eat something greasy. Doctors actually recommend grease after a hangover because it helps to coat your intestinal track.
5. Have some pasta with spicy sauce. Alcohol lowers blood sugar, carbs increase blood sugar. Make sense? Spicy food releases endorphins from your brain and helps you to feel better emotionally. Pasta with spicy sauce will balance your sugar levels and ease your brain guilt.
6. Rub some peppermint oil on your temples and behind your neck to relieve your headache. Rub more on your belly for nausea and sniff a little to improve your mood.
7. Have a Tablespoon of Raw Honey. Raw honey contains a host of minerals. This is a biggie; minerals are what your body is missing after tossing back a few.
~I’ll spare you the cute quote about prevention, as I know you’re probably not in the best of moods. Instead I’ll suggest you put in a movie, cozy up on the coach and forgive yourself. You’ll only see the dawning of 2011 once in your lifetime and I believe guilt is worse for your health than alcohol!
All photos from freedigitalphotos.net Headache by m_bartosch, Honey by graur razvan ionut, Dog by Maggie Smith
hot on elephant
Elephant Journal’s Holiday Gift Guide 636 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 516 shares Waylon’s favorite Ethical Gifts. 7 shares Join: Elephant’s Winter 2017 Academy. 27 shares Trevor Noah just won my Respect. 2,529 shares December Forecast: Letting Go of 2016 & Leaning into 2017 with Love. 6,036 shares Year of the Fire Rooster 2017: What to Expect. 517 shares How to Say Goodbye to that almost-great Love. 1,411 share For the Women who are Trying to Do & Be Everything to Everyone. 2,932 shares How to Say “F*ck it” to Fear & Anxiety (& Start Living your Life!). 819 shares