Plants bad for health, feng shui in Bedroom?

Via on Dec 2, 2010

I want plants in my bedroom (especially in the winter, when indoor pollution spikes). She doesn’t, because:

Very good shui feng question, thank you for asking. Let’s look at it from a practical point of view – what do plants do at night? They release carbon dioxide into the air.

What do you do at night? Hopefully sleep in your bedroom. Thus, plants in the bedroom is not the best feng shui idea.

Feng shui-wise, they also represent growth and vibrant life, and it is not exactly the energy you want to have in the bedroom.

This is not to say that a small plant, especially in a big bedroom, is bad feng shui! Not at all.

Please make a note that this only applies to one’s bedroom, as anywhere else in the house plants are excellent feng shui, especially considering the level of indoor pollution in most homes and offi

Update: adding this video.

About Waylon Lewis

12 Responses to “Plants bad for health, feng shui in Bedroom?”

1. Helene Rose helene_rose says:

Please elaborate.
    My understanding from grade school science is that plants release oxygen, which they produce after "breathing in" carbon dioxide.

2. She says:

Wondering about above as well. Do plants release carbon dioxide at night instead of oxygen? I found the article saying otherwise but I never knew that if it's true…

3. She says:

Just found this on Yahoo! Answers:

Q: Do plants release Carbon Dioxide at night?

A: Yes, during the night, photosynthesis gets shut down (since there's no light) and it will give off CO2 like us human. At night carbon dioxide is taken up from the air and used in the process of making sugars. At night, when photosynthesis does not occur – no sunlight for energy – respiration does occur, which gives off carbon dioxide just as it does in animals. On balance, though, plants take up much more carbon dioxide in photosynthesis than they give off in respiration.

That's why some people say that ppl should take the plants out of the room at night.

4. Juliana says:

Just watched the video you linked. I guess Mother-in-law's Tongue plants *do* convert CO2 into O2 *at night*! But others do not. He says we need 6-8 waist-high plants per person though…. That's a little outta control. We'd be sleeping in a jungle.

• elephantjournal says:

That's for New Delhi, to produce entirely new air.

I like idea of sleeping in a jungle.

Yours,

Tiger

• Light says:

My thoughts exactly. Also who goes on vacation in a tropical region saying, “well this was fun but I’d rather be in my cubicle?”

5. samara says:

Way,

I personally always feel better with plants in the bedroom. It calms me. There might be science to the contrary but for me it seems to even me out. I like the post about having an even number and keeping it simple. I put a peace lily in my bedroom and loved it. :)

6. Sheri McCord sheri says:

Just posted to "Featured Today" on the brand new Elephant Health & Wellness Homepage.

Sheri McCord
    Please "like" Elephant Health & Wellness on Facebook.

7. [...] I teach yoga from my home studio pretty much every day. Besides the convenient fact that I do not have to drive to my client’s home or to a sweaty studio, I get the joy of sharing my space with others. One of my pregnancy clients remarked to me the other day how she loved that my home was filled with life in every corner. [...]

8. elephantjournal says:

Wow! You're awesome. Hugely appreciate. I'll move two of those plants Kamal Mettle recommended in the above video.