If you celebrate Christmas, for religious reasons or not, enjoy a refreshing perspective on what this holiday could be about.
Although there are many wonderful ways of showing our loved ones we care, if spending money is your way, there are alternative, loving ways of doing that. It spares a trip to the mall, too. Many charity organizations have “gift” cards that you can purchase in someone’s honor.
Here are a few ideas to get your creative juices flowing:
• Visit Charity Navigator. An independent non-profit organization that evaluates the finances of thousands of charities. Ensure the efficiency of your donation.
• Kiva A microfinance organization. Loan some money to someone in need and get paid back.
• TOMS Shoes Buy a pair of shoes for a friend and TOMS donates a pair of shoes to a child in need. They’re funky, cozy and now sold at Nordstrom.
• World Vision The gift catalog is a fun way for both children and adults to explore alternative ways of giving. Choose a duck, a goat or a mosquito net for someone in need.
• Living Water International The ultimate way for Christians to practice what they preach.
• Check your local food pantries, shelters, Salvation Army, local schools and more for alternative ways to give. It’s a guaranteed way to know that your gift will make an impact.
Alternative ways of giving make the perfect gift for the person who has it all.
hot on elephant
Elephant Journal’s Holiday Gift Guide 636 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 510 shares Waylon’s favorite Ethical Gifts. 7 shares Join: Elephant’s Winter 2017 Academy. 27 shares Trevor Noah just won my Respect. 2,525 shares December Forecast: Letting Go of 2016 & Leaning into 2017 with Love. 5,898 shares Year of the Fire Rooster 2017: What to Expect. 443 shares How to Say Goodbye to that almost-great Love. 1,371 share How to Say “F*ck it” to Fear & Anxiety (& Start Living your Life!). 818 shares For the Women who are Trying to Do & Be Everything to Everyone. 2,890 shares