Add a few more to the ‘Buyer Beware’ List.
1. Belts…from Target
2. Brine LAX Gloves
3. McDonald’s Shrek Glasses. I’d beware of most things from McDonald’s though.
4. Toy Figurines [including army figures, toy horses, and Disney Fairies]
5. Titanic Toy Boat. Going down—yet again
6. Nordstrom Girls’ Shoes
7. Earth Friendly Wooden Toys [Okay not for lead, but recalled for choking hazard. Yikes!]
8. Children’s Art Easel
9. Mini Stuft Sport Balls
10. Timberland Kid’s Boots?!
This led to some further research.
Why did we use lead paint in the first place?
- White lead is very insoluble in water, making the paint highly water-resistant with a durable, washable finish.
- Lead carbonate can also neutralise the acidic decomposition products of some of the oils that make up the paint, so the coating stays tough, yet flexible and crack-resistant, for longer.
I had always heard that lead was harmful to life, and always took their word for it, but I found out exactly what is so terrible about manufacturers cutting corners in their production. Thanks to a little help from RSC, I was able to find out specifics.
- It’s known to be a potent blocker of receptors of glutamate, a neurotransmitter crucial for learning.
- It is also able to displace a series of other metals from doing their normal job in the body – most significantly, calcium, iron and zinc.
- A particular problem is that lead displaces the zinc from the enzyme delta-aminolaevulinate dehydratase, which is crucial for the biosynthesis of heme, the iron-binding part of the haemoglobin molecule that carries oxygen around the blood. This results in cells around the body being short of oxygen, causing a cascade of associated problems.
Put all that together and we have the story of manufacturers in China, trying to cut corners to make more money selling us cheap stuff we probably don’t need.
hot on elephant
Boomers vs. Millennials: Will We stay the Course or Change It? Instead of Sabotaging another Relationship, here’s how to Run into your Fear. Join: Elephant’s Fall 2016 Academy. When you’re Stuck, Remember to ask yourself this Question. Welcome to September’s Eclipse Season—Anything is Possible. Thank You to the Men who Didn’t Know what they had—When they had Me. Wait for the One who Falls in Love with Your Naked Soul.