Introducing a spiritual master: Tony Samara (beautiful video)

Via
on Jan 18, 2011
get elephant's newsletter
Tony Samara

Some people talk of the world ending in 2012 – personally I think that’s nonsense. The world won’t end; but our world just might, unless we evolve human consciousness from the fear mentality that currently pervades, to a new paradigm of love.

I have always had this feeling, this vision (and it has not faded) since I was a child. Indeed, as I have grown older, it has been re-affirmed.

Swami Vishnu Devananda founded the Sivananda Yoga teacher-training course because he had a vision during meditation of the world burning; human beings running around in chaos and fear and desperation. He created that yoga teacher-training course not so much to train yoga teachers as to train world leaders. He recognized that moral, ethical, and spiritual leadership throughout society would prompt change at a ‘grassroots’ level: the change that is necessary to avoid the kind of disaster we may be facing now.

When I learnt of this – as I took the teacher-training myself – I was deeply moved. I silently vowed to do all I could to become the kind of leader that Swami Vishnu envisioned. I did this not only out of love for him (although I never met him – he died in 1993, the year I discovered yoga – I have always felt a tremendous loyalty and love towards him). I did it also because I resonated with his vision, and because I love this Earth, this home that we all share; upon which we float together through space, and towards our shared destiny.

So my work for many years now has been about making a difference. My work as a therapist, healer, and teacher; running yoga retreats and healing holidays; and indeed everything I write; all comes from a heartfelt urge to create a more positive human society.

Today, I begin to do something more.

Today I tell you about a spiritual teacher called Tony Samara.

I call myself a spiritual teacher from time to time – I don’t mean, and have never meant to imply, that I am a guru, or that I am enlightened. Like many, I have tasted the bliss of self-realization but have not been able to sustain it.

Tony Samara is different. I have never met anyone like him, and believe me: I have searched; and I am not easily led.

He is endlessly patient, yet utterly intent.

He is simultaneously deeply compassionate and ruthlessly detached.

He is powerful – miracles seem to happen around him all the time – but his power is matched by a deep humility and gentleness.

I invite you to watch the following video. Made by those students closest to Tony, it is stunningly beautiful. However, the most beautiful aspect of it, for me, is simply Tony’s voice. I invite you to listen to his voice, feel his energy, and consider his words.

If you feel drawn to his teachings, know that there is no dogma or doctrine. He teaches a path of simplicity, and is himself a family man – he has four children.

You can find out more about him on this website, and tune in, for free, to his live Satsang at 17.00 UCT every wednesday. You may also view many of his previous Satsangs, and other videos, at the video archive accessed from the same page.

I will write more articles promoting Tony’s work: how I met him (and the amazing impact that simple moment had on me!); how other people met him; some of my personal experiences whilst being guided by him in meditation; how he has visited me (and others) in dreams.

For now, please enjoy this beautiful video!

With love, Ben

YouTube Preview Image

About Ben Ralston

Ben Ralston is a therapist, healer, advanced Sivananda Yoga teacher, and writer. His writings have been read by millions of people and can be found on Elephant Journal, Rebelle Society, and various other portals online. He has been teaching Yoga for 16 years in hotels, ashrams, beaches, gyms and rooftops worldwide. And he runs a busy international therapeutic practice from his home in rural Croatia. Offering sessions in person or via Skype, his therapeutic work is based on healing trauma, and the tools he uses for this are varied – mainly RPT, Shamanism, and energy work. He has also developed some of his own methods, particularly in the area of abuse trauma; ‘resource state’ awareness; and boundary reconstruction. He regularly runs retreats combining Yoga and other energetic exercises with his therapy. He would love nothing more than to see you on one of these retreats, since he believes that this approach to personal development is really the only effective way of bringing love and peace to global human society. Connect with Ben on Facebook. Read more of his writing on his new website with integrated blog! Yes, he's excited about that :)

Comments

47 Responses to “Introducing a spiritual master: Tony Samara (beautiful video)”

1. Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Have you met Tony Samara?
    Do you believe in the possibility of enlightenment, or is it just a myth?
    What did you think of the video?!

Please leave a comment…

2. Thank you for your beautiful words about Tony, Ben. The opportunity for others to experience him for themselves has now expanded exponentially. Thank you for your eloquence.

3. Wahido says:

I've met Tony Samara YES : ) and i have been blessed in this life time to have the possibility to learn how to put spirituality into practice with him : ) have the courage to jump into the unknown with us and enjoy the ride : ) THANK YOU BEN!

4. Petra says:

Ben here, writing a comment for my wife Petra who would like to leave a comment but our baby has different ideas – apparently her breasts are too tasty!
    "I was looking for a different kind of holiday 8 years ago and came across an article in a spiritual magazine publicizing a retreat about 'opening the heart'. I had always hoped to meet a spiritual master, but expected that I would have to go to India to do so! Imagine my surprise when, on the first day of the retreat here on the coast of Croatia, Tony started speaking and my heart began to SING! I knew immediately that he was special…"
    Petra

5. Teja says:

Thank you Ben, the article is absolutely wonderful. Tony is an amazing teacher and a real blessing to our world. I hope that as many people as possible open their hearts and receive his beautiful and divine guidance. Much Love :) Teja

6. Secret Devotee ;p says:

((Yeyyyy Yeyyyy Yeyyyy Shri Shri Mahatma Avatar Guruji – that's how I refer to him in my heart. HA HA!!)) Tony 😀
    Love him! So grateful for all the blessing he showers on this world.

7. Zarqa says:

Thank you so much for your article Ben.It is so important to share Tony´s wisdom with the world, to inspire all of us to have the courage for the transformation we are being asked to take upon our lifes.
    Meeting Tony and what he represents to all of us gave a whole meaning to my life.
    Forever grateful

8. Olana says:

Thank you Ben for this article and the beautiful video, it resonates with something within myself that is magical and that words cannot fully express. I am so greatful that my path has crosed with Tonys and i have learned so many things about myself that i even wasn't aware of. The work that he does is amazing and the patience that he has is never ending. Thank you Tony for being the butterfly and showing to me and others how to fly and trust that everything is going to be ok and perfect every given moment that we experience.

9. Erikalynn says:

Thank you – I am already looking forward to your following articles too.

To answer your question: I believe some people are enlightened… very few, as Tony would say. I believe (thanks to personal experiences) of moments of enlightenment. Is Tony one of them, is my question? (-:

Have a wonderful time with your new born baby!

10. Erikalynn says:

(-:
    @ Ben: so true – in his Satsangs, one can feel that joyful devotion, trust, conviction and modesty. I have never met him in person, but have eaten a lot of BioSamara food (doesn't that count?) Like you, I have also seen him clearly in a dream. His enlightened words have changed a lot in my life and in those of my family. My little four year old has more enlightened moments as her parents are so much more… aware and joyful than before.

So you say I should ask him? Maybe you'd care doing so (embarassed laugh?)

It just occurred to me that another question that could be asked once is: what are some of the salient ways in which the Samara Foundation's work affected you? Even if it is difficult to articulate the depth and the meaningful shifts, maybe some are easy to express verbally?

@ Wahido-who-has-such-a-great-name: I love that answer; a knowing rather than a belief. Exactly. A knowing is so much more expansive, hé?

So… ready to find out for myself? Ok. But maybe I should wait for Ben to ask first?
    (-:

Love love love your way too!

11. Aaron says:

This is pretty cheesy. Enlightenment is over-rated. Whether he is is or not who cares. The man seriously needs a hair cut.
    Someone cut that mullet please!

12. elephantjournal says:

i watched this earlier in day and my first response was to share with others :) as i watch again i realize this will not be the last time i watch..the smile grows each time and so does the sense of inner lifting breath….loooking forward to Ben's further writings about Tony

13. I feel lighter after watching/listening. Thanks for sharing that, Ben, and for introducing me to Tony's work. xoxo

14. Katja says:

Dear Ben! Wonderful work! A lot of times i'm in situation to tell people about my spiritual teacher and it is so difficult, because Tony means so much to me, that is very hard to express it with words, although expressing with words is my occupation ;))) When i met him eight years ago while doing interview with him i had a deep feeling this was not the last time i met him. I'm working with him for seven years now and my life changed so much and a lot of things happened in my life – and everything happened and it is happening just the way as it has to. I feel very grateful that universe brought him in my life!

15. funnygirl says:

Thanks, but I am really over the whole enlightened guru thing. I have met many and ALL of them have eventually been corrupted by money, power, sex, drugs….. I am grateful for what I learned from them at the time. Perhaps they were a bit more advanced on the path than myself at the time and that is always a nice thing to see. However, the surrender and trust that they demand has always shown itself to be a power trip. Perhaps I have graduated from having a guru. Good luck on your journey and he does seem like a nice man, but that is all he will ever be to me, a nice man. My guru is now my own inner knowing and wisdom from years of meditation and yoga practice. Namaste

16. jdk says:

Thank you for posting this lovely video Ben. I've never heard of Tony Samara, but this is exactly what I needed to hear this morning. I'm in a rigorous power teacher training program right now and have discovered that it is TOO rigorous for me. My poor spine was getting thrown out of whack with each intense power class I atended, and through that process I turned to searching again. Fortunately, I've also begun an additional program through a different "school" and have discovered "therapeutic" yoga. My current power curriculum is complete in two weeks, thank God! I know my instructor is not pleased with my progress in his program, but I know it is the right decision for my life and my future as I guide others through their healing process.

17. Dan Slanger says:

Thanks for this, Ben.

18. mareynolds says:

Thanks for posting, Ben. Had not heard of Tony before, but what a beautiful video. Will check out his website. Best wishes to you and your family.

19. Malina says:

Is this video on youtube? I cannot watch it here, just does not show on my computer. Could it be because I am on Mac? Thanks.

20. Could I use part of the information from the post over if I offer a backlink for your site?