Why I won’t miss Keith Olbermann.

Via Waylon Lewis
on Jan 23, 2011
get elephant's newsletter

Don’t get me wrong, I like him just fine. But he fought fire with fire—angry one-sided rhetoric with angry one-sided rhetoric. His appropriation of Edward R. Murrow‘s signature sign-off “Good night, and Good Luck” was beyond pretentious.

Sure, I shared his fire from time to time…but there’s a reason I’m liberal. Not ’cause I want to “win,” or conveniently rearrange and marshall facts to match my pov against their’s. It’s because I think, on balance, that liberals are more compassionate. Less about winning and more, ironically, about getting it right.

We’re the true patriots—not because we’re more macho (we aren’t) or demonstrative or effective at PR—but because we want to strengthen the American economy, not just that of the richest citizens (and, of course, the richest among us wouldn’t have to live in such fear beyond such high gates if the middle class we’re larger, and deeper, and stronger—there’d be less crime and resentment).

I don’t love MSNBC. I think it’s the same thing as Fox—only less effective.

My kind of liberal commentator is Bill Moyers, who’s fair and gentle. Or Jon Stewart, who’s fair, caring and cuttingly funny. Let’s leave macho and bombast to the demagogues like O’Reilly, Limbaugh, Beck and Palin. Let’s play on our home court, where compassion, gentleness and objectivity are more important.

Click here for every blog we ever wrote that related to KO, plus lots of his videos.

Bonus:

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c
MSNBC Left Behind
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full Episodes Political Humor & Satire Blog</a> The Daily Show on Facebook
The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c
MSNBC Replaces Fox News
www.thedailyshow.com

734 views

About Waylon Lewis

Comments

33 Responses to “Why I won’t miss Keith Olbermann.”

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Waylon Lewis, Red Fox. Red Fox said: Why I won’t miss Keith Olbermann. http://bit.ly/g28TpR […]

2. Director2nv says:

Looks like this is the last time I lookat anything on this ass rag. Why I wont miss elephant journal.

3. waylonlewis says:

via http://www.facebook.com/elephantjournal

#
    Danbo T Why I don't miss Television.

#
    David L I'm going to miss him a lot. There's nothing wrong with expressing passion and anger when you're right.

#
    elephantjournal.com Amen, but everyone thinks they're right..! ~ W

#
    Betsy H I agree with the whole Edward Murrows appropriation thing. Made me kinda squirm.

#
    Kevin Liberty Hotaling Jon Stewart and Bill Moyers ftw… omg … 2nd Jon Stewart video is hiarious. Thanks!

#
    Tom Frascone
    i can't stand any of 'em. even stewart is a fraud. they're all puppets of the wealthy corporations that own the broadcast networks.

take the stewart/colbert tag team:

How Stewart and Colbert are Selling the Neocon Agenda to the Left
    .. .http://willyloman.wordpress.com/2010/09/25/centrist-central-how-stewart-and-colbert-are-selling-the-neocon-agenda-to-the-left/

4. TamingAuthor says:

The problem with MSNBC (which includes Olbermann) has been the lack of transparency in their agenda.

They have been shamelessly pushing the Obama agenda. But their parent company had something personal to gain. They received a bailout to the tune of $40 billion from the Fed. Second largest non-bank bailout. So one could argue this is crony capitalism, with the quid pro quo being pretty obvious.

In addition, it appears that in return for biased reporting, GE CEO Immelt has been named to head one of the President's new panels. So the conflict of interest continues.

GE's other tie in with the administration has to do with pushing alternative energy, in which GE has a huge financial stake. This is another very clear conflict of interest. They have a financial, profit-based stake in policy, so their coverage is suspect.

Thus, one has to take a close look at the bias presented in their coverage and in their opinions. Without due diligence one falls victim to the same corporate manipulation that one protests against so loudly. In other words, one is liable to being duped.

One can no longer be a mindless imbiber of party line media. It is important to track the conflicts of interest and the bias in order to calibrate the information one is receiving.

5. TamingAuthor says:

As an exercise in discernment in media this article is an excellent start.

The article tells the story of radical activists (Cloward and Pivens) who have historically called for division, civil unrest, and violence. They have been instrumental in training community organizers (such as Obama).

Their call for civil unrest is not purely historical, however. As recently as last December Piven was calling for riots like those we have seen in Greece. Those riots were violent, resulting in deaths. And she would like to see that here.

So Beck exposes her history and her recent statements. He documents her calls for violence in her own words. The result is attacks on Beck. So when one lumps Beck in with those promoting violence, caution is in order. As the facts show he is exposing those who call for violence and then is being maligned for his investigatory reports.

In Pivens responses to media follow up we find she uses deception and lies as a standard mode of operating. She claims it is ridiculous to consider her a socialist, and yet the public record shows she is a leading figure in socialist groups! Lying with a straight face.

To become media savvy check this out and then start pulling strings. Follow the trail. (You might even become interested in the other people Beck has outed as sources of civil unrest and violence. The attacks on Beck then can be seen in an accurate context.)

6. TamingAuthor says:

Beck reports on another attack on a government official that goes under reported. Have you heard of this?

7. Padma Kadag says:

I have the impression that without the fire of Olbermann that the democratic liberals would have been more the wimp than they have been. I disagree with your assessment. Frankly this notion of "balance" is an illusion. Point out one thing in this universe which is "balanced". Unfortunately, Obama's "balanced" lets be bi partisan with a Republican party which is as "balanced" minded as the People's Republic of China was a disaster for the Health Insurance Bill and continuing in Afghanistan and Iraq. I will miss Olbermann….maybe Fox News will pick him up…Hahaha…Well we still have Mathews and Maddow anyway

8. Andrew says:

I think Keith Olbermann served a very valuable role, as he was really the first person on TV to shamelessly take on the Bush administrations transgressions in a time when no one on TV was doing so. There was really no significant, blatant anti Iraq War voice on TV at that time.

But, nothing is permanent and after 8 years I am not crushed to see him go.

I can't say I'm with you 100% on your equivalence of MSNBC to Fox News. I agree that there is some idiotic bombast on MSNBC (Ed Schultz – ugh he is unwatchable), but I don't think that Chris Matthews, Laurence O'Donnell and Rachel Maddow are verysimilar to O'Reilly, Beck and Hannity. I can see how one would think that on the surface, but I think the political agenda on Fox is much more entrenched.

PBS News Hour does indeed crush any other news on TV.

9. TamingAuthor says:

Comcast has been in the process of purchasing NBC. The deal has been going through a series of approval steps. Yes, the new owners would be unlikely to keep Olbermann or anyone like him. Ratings are low. His popularity only extends to the radical left.

10. TamingAuthor says:

Beck mocking the NY Times for misreporting the Piven news.

11. TamingAuthor says:

C'mon, folks, do your homework. Research GE and Jeffrey Immelt and their role in this administration. Research their government aid. Research their play in the "green" movement.

And research Piven and her own words.

When there are attacks on Beck, research it. Find out where they are coming from. And for your own sake, find out how much of your information comes from groups funded by George Soros. Look it up. Do some research. And check out Soro's history.

You are being played. It is really quite upsetting when you find out you have been conned…so do the homework. Don't let clever manipulators get you to think you are fighting an enemy when they are the actual types you purport to fight… the fat cat crony capitalists (GE w Obama) and the billionaire speculator (Soros) who plays the same game as the Russian oligarchs (with whom he worked) in silencing media and opposition and ruling a country with violence and suppression.

12. Mud Baron says:

Brother Waylon,

Grumble. I want my Keith as I am not of the gentle variety either. Votes and words, matter. His, with their amplification, mattered more.

I get your perspective. Fine. Yeah, yeah, yer enlightened. But, amongst 600,000 Title I (ed speak for poverty) LA kids it's hard not to want a fight, we've already been kicked a bit. Backs are against walls here and there is no help coming from DC for several years. We're several thousand feet below Boulder here in the LA basin, too.

Words are what we got to fight with.

Anyway…

Isn't there some story about Buddha stopping a lecture because there was hungry beggar in the back. Didn't he tell his peeps to take 5 and get that guy a clif bar? #justsayin.

yrs,

Mud

AND Waylone btw, you are so kickin' my city kids and their little school gardens in the shortys. You and your yoga thugs just put us back to number three. Who's not the fighter? 😉 https://sites.google.com/site/greenshortypledge/

13. TamingAuthor says:

Keith's former boss…. (why the left is not taken seriously).