As long as nobody knows, the answer has got to be God.

Via on Feb 5, 2011

“God” is what Bill O’Reilly says when he doesn’t understand where something came from.

Proving the existence of God: “As long as nobody knows, the answer has got to be God.”

Stephen Colbert with a funny/true bit (especially love the bit about the faucets), so funny/true he loses it himself at one point:

Skip to 2:30:

The Colbert Report Mon – Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Crisis in Egypt – Anderson Cooper & Bill O’Reilly<a>
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full Episodes Political Humor & Satire Blog</a> Video Archive

About elephant journal

703 views

If you liked this, you might like these:

13 Responses to “As long as nobody knows, the answer has got to be God.”

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Waylon Lewis and Anthony Tshering, Red Fox. Red Fox said: As long as nobody knows, the answer has got to be God. http://bit.ly/go8Ayc [...]

2. elephantjournal says:

via http://www.facebook.com/elephantjournal
    #
    Jonathan: Refuge of the lazy, the lost, the scoundrels, the fearful.

#
    elephantjournal.com And, the holy, the reverent, the devoted, the peaceful. God ain't the problem, it's our conception of Him/Her as so limited He/She sides with one nation or religion or football team over another. ~ Waylon

• ARCreated says:

waylon…beautiful!!! I always figured religioned screwed up god…at one point in my life I threw out god…I welcomed him back and left out the middle man!!

3. BrotherRog says:

sigh.

4. TamingAuthor says:

Observing the new kinder and gentler Elephant regulations I did not watch the video in order to restrain myself from making negative, upsetting, and unkind comments. In place of my comments I suggest everyone who visits this article an extra hour on the cushion.

• ARCreated says:

awesome presumptions that always works out well…what could have possibly been so bad? it was quite funny…

• TamingAuthor says:

What works out bad is that Colbert, Stewart, and Maher use ridicule. Ridicule demeans. Ridicule cheapens the conversation. Ridicule alters our perception of human suffering. Ridicule invites us to stand back and mock the other instead of loving the other. Ridicule has undermined civil discourse in this country, and thus has set the stage for civil unrest and suffering. Ridicule has turned a generation away from trying to really understand causes and conditions and alleviate suffering to instead taking a mocking stance toward life that does not value truth, honesty, and compassion.

• Perhaps if you spent an extra hour, as well, you might be able to watch a short video without needing to make negative, upsetting, and unkind comments?

• TamingAuthor says:

Sorry to go over your head, Cynic. That was sarcasm. See my response to ARC regarding the cheapening of discourse and the cheapening of relationship. We would have far fewer cynics if we were able to see the harm done by the ridicule shoved into our culture by popular cynics, such as Colbert, Maher, and Stewart.

We would realize that a high percentage of the bullying that takes place among our young comes from the blessing folks like you bestow on ridicule in its popular forms. I revise my comment — spend more, much more, than an extra hour on the cushion meditating on ridicule.

5. ARCreated says:

OMG that last line was worth the whole thing..
    I'd prefer if bill didn't help us explain god — he's just making us look bad. :)

6. It should be noted that Stephen Colbert (the real Stephen Colbert, not the character he plays) is a practicing Catholic, who even teaches Sunday school

7. ARCreated says:

Oi…for me Life's too short to be taken seriously…I like my messages with humor…you see ridicule I see the ability to laugh at human folly…
    You also seem to think you can comment without watching…I find that more disturbing :) that's my opinion. The greatest truths are doled out in humor and that's how I prefer to recieve them rather than with vitriol or disdain…
    I sit on the cushion to hear the voice of god and when he speaks to me its with a smile…and he tells me to get off the cushion and go out and enjoy the gift of life we were given.

• TamingAuthor says:

I watched it. And I have watched Colbert, Stewart, and Maher enough to know their routine.

One can laugh at human folly, especially one's own folly. That is called self-deprecating humor. Good stuff.

But ridicule is much different. It is an attack. Ridicule is vitriol and disdain, without the responsibility. It is the wise guy punk who cannot stand up honestly so he hides behind "being funny." It is covert hostility. It seeps into the bloodstream of the culture and sickens us all.

Popular ridicule of this nature has coarsened the discourse in this country and contributed to the epidemic of bullying taking place among the younger generation. When you sit there and laugh at the destruction of another through wit, you are not celebrating life or God, you are sinking to the level of the bully, to the level of those who do not see the beauty in others except as a target of their hostility.

Stand back and you will see these are not happy individuals helping bring love and laughter and beauty to life, they are spewing hate and encouraging others to greet the world with smirking vitriol. They are engaging in wrong speech.

I am certain that if I dogged you with ridicule, it would not be long before you no longer smiled. It is a cruel business, a deceitful business.