Video: Putting your best friend to Sleep.

Via on Feb 16, 2011

Mickey and Mom.

It’s hard to hold a camera still when you’re crying uncontrollably.

This past weekend my mom had to put her beloved Mickey to sleep.  It was one of the most difficult things I’d ever filmed, but I think it tells a beautiful story. This dog was her companion, her protector and most importantly, her friend.

YouTube Preview Image

Long live the spirit of Mickey!

About Ryan van Duzer

Ryan Van Duzer is a born and bred Boulder boy who loves sunny days, riding bikes and eating burritos. He doesn't know how to drive a car, doesn't eat meat and is a big time momma's boy. Ryan is a freelance travel journalist and TV host, working mainly for Travel Channel and National Geographic. His dream is to host his own eco-adventure travel show and someday become the Mr. Rogers of the adventure world. To see more of what Duzer Duz, check out duzertv.com.

964 views

(We use PayPal but you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

8 Responses to “Video: Putting your best friend to Sleep.”

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Waylon Lewis and Waylon Lewis, x environ. x environ said: Mickey and Mom http://bit.ly/gb65tn [...]

2. John says:

thanks for sharing…im actually going to having to face the same situation soon for myself.

3. tea says:

im sorry for your loss, just watching this brought back the painful memory of putting down beloved family pets over the years. I know that it is a icy cold comfort to hear that it was for the best and better to not let them suffer. The truth of the matter is that this creature was a part of your life, family, loved and cherished and will be mourned. Please take comfort in the fact that you showed this friend kindness and love by giving him a home and taking care of him as well as you could for his life time. Im sure he knew love and enjoyed the time he spent with you.

4. Diana says:

I just ask God "please don't put me in that situation" I have a 12 years old dog, my kids and I absolutely adore him and he's getting older… Just thinking in the idea makes me cry. Thanks for sharing such proof of love.

5. AmsaYoga says:

Thank you for sharing this Ryan. Having had to face this heart wrenching decision before, I applaud your mothers strength and bravery. It takes a lot of pure, unconditional love to stop the suffering of one so dear. Thanks for capturing the end of this beautiful friendship on film.

6. Earth Things Pottery says:

What a sweet spirit-I have had to put my lab down in 2010 and myheart still aches.

7. Laura says:

Thank you for sharing this, Ryan. I just had to make this difficult decision a month ago, and am still grieving tremendously. It's hard to deal with the guilt, but I know in the end, keeping my Remy alive would have been selfish on my part. I wish your Mom and your family comfort & love during this difficult time.

8. femmmefatal says:

Don't think I could ever watch this. Just the title makes me tear up. Ill send your mum so positive vibes…