Half of the forests that existed at the dawn of agriculture has since been destroyed.
Watch this stunning 7-minute film, Of Forests and Men–the official film for the launch of the International Year of the Forests, a global platform to celebrate people’s action to sustainably manage the world’s forests.
More forest facts.
- * Forests cover 31% of total land area.
- * 30% of forests are used for production of wood and non-wood products.
- * Forests are home to 80% of our terrestial biodiversity.
- * We are cutting trees down by the millions to plant soybeans and produce millions of tons of meat.
- * Every second, 2 football fields worth of rainforests are lost.
Read more forest facts and the International Year of the Forests 2011 on my blog, I Count for myEARTH.
hot on elephant
Elephant Journal’s Holiday Gift Guide 636 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 603 shares Waylon’s favorite Ethical Gifts. 13 shares Learn Social Media, Writing, Editing & Journalism Ethics with elephantjournal.com. 1 share The Real Reason so many Long-term Relationships Fail Sexually. 1,029 share Trevor Noah just won my Respect. 2,570 shares Year of the Fire Rooster 2017: What to Expect. 996 shares Why a Year of No Dating was the Best Thing I ever did for Myself. 7,871 shares These Tweets (and Retweets) actually Happened. 1,392 share How to Say Goodbye to that almost-great Love. 1,674 share