Via
on Feb 15, 2011
get elephant's newsletter

I feel sick.

Read all about it here. Lara and her family have asked CBS and everyone not to pry, so we’ll keep it brief out of respect for what must be the hardest of times.  Official statement:

CBS correspondent Lara Logan was covering the jubilation in Tahrir Square for a 60 Minutes story when she and her team and their security were surrounded by a dangerous element amidst the celebration. It was a mob of more than 200 people whipped into frenzy.

Logan…was separated from her crew. She was surrounded and suffered a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating before being saved by a group of women and an estimated 20 Egyptian soldiers.

She finally…”reconnected with the CBS team, returned to her hotel and returned to the United States on the first flight the next morning.”

From Chicago Tribune:

…”We have seen Lara’s compassion at work while helping journalists who have faced brutal aggression while doing their jobs,” Paul Steiger, editor of ProPublica and chairman of the Committee to Protect Journalists, said in a statement. “She is a brilliant, courageous and committed reporter. Our thoughts are with Lara as she recovers.”

…Among the many attacked were CNN’s Anderson Cooper, who was punched several times in the head, and Fox News correspondent Greg Palkot and cameraman Olaf Wiig, who were severely beaten.

Ms. Logan had been detained by Egyptian authorities in Cairo the week before.

For resources to stay safe from and report, recover from sexual assault and rape, click here. Please add anything helpful in comments.

Jon Stewart interviewed Lara Logan last year.

Yesterday, the Daily Show offered a completely inappropriate video punning about the hassling sexual loved up kissing affection for reporters in Tahrir Square—I can safely assume they hadn’t heard the news yet.

From last week:

About Waylon Lewis

Comments

20 Responses to “Tragedy in Tahrir Square: “brutal, sustained sexual assault” of Reporter Lara Logan of CBS, 60 Minutes in Egypt.”

1. elephantjournal says:

At least the rescue by Egyptian women and soldiers brings some hope to this dark, dark, horrific tragedy. ~ Waylon

2. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Waylon Lewis, Waylon Lewis, jeremiah abrams, sarit rogers, Sabina Becker and others. Sabina Becker said: RT @elephantjournal: At least the rescue by Egyptian women + soldiers brings some hope to this dark tragedy. http://bit.ly/flvEIn #laralogan […]

3. Hollie says:

Waylon, you asked for resources for survivors.

Right now I work one on one or in small groups in my client's homes or community centers. (Along with my volunteer work at SPAN, the Safehouse here in Boulder)

I feel a little crass, using this tragedy to tell people about my work… however, I work on a donation only basis.
    My work is not about me or about making a bunch of money, it's about supplying people with resources
    (internal and external) that will support them in finding relief from their suffering.

For more information please see… http://www.bloominglotayoga.com

In solidarity,
    Hollie

4. elephantjournal says:

#
    Cathy G I just read this story…shocking…my heart goes out to her…may this only make you stronger!!!!

#
    Nuray S This really makes me frustrated. She went there to help them by reporting their story. Very disappointed that they would do that to someone who has been trying to help.

#
    Naomi D: I'm sure 'they'- the ones who attacked her are beyond feeling any good thoughts about her/Americans/reporters/outsiders/stangers and find that assumption bizzare. So it is OK to rape someone 'not here to help'?

#
    Ramdesh: Prayers for her healing.

#
    elephantjournal.com Naomi, great questions but let's keep this gentle. I don't think Nuray meant anything like that. ~ Waylon

Obviously, "LIKE" MEANS DISLIKE, if you care to click the above.

#
    Nuray S: Well my family is Muslim and we are disgusted that those individuals would do something so stupid and intrusive. I think that is why some of them had issues with the reporters. They didn't want the world to really know what was going on but I think they made a bad situation worse by doing what they did to her. No one ever deserves that. I can only pray that she is not afraid of Muslims after this….I am so disgusted beyond words. so beyond words. I wish I could hug her and apologize for what happened.

Naomi I just realized your comment and you are taking it the wrong way. I am sorry your interpretation was wrong. The whole situation is bad…………you twist it by trying to pick my words apart. If I felt that way I wouldn't have posted anything. The point is that she wouldn't have been over there if she didn't care and wasn't trying to help. Sorry, you felt the need to ask that.

#
    Hollie
    So very heartbreaking, in so many ways!

I am so very happy for the people of Egypt, and it breaks my heart that such a brilliant moment has been sullied by the actions of a handful of heartless men. And yet I am so inspired that the women a…nd military made them stop. It could have ended differently.

I know all too well that this horror will live on in her for a while, and yet I also know she will discover strengths that she didn't realize she had.

My heart aches.

Waylon, you asked for resources for survivors. I do yoga therapy for trauma survivors, specializing in survivors of domestic violence, assault and sexual assault.
    I work one on one or in small groups in my client's homes.

I feel a little crass, using this tragedy to tell people about my work, but I work on a donation only basis. My work is not about me or about making a bunch of money, it's about supporting people with resources (internal and external) that will help relieve their suffering.
    For more information on my work please see… http://www.bloominglotayoga.com

In solidarity,
    Hollie

5. Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Abuse (whether sexual, emotional, financial, physical, or psychological) is traumatic. The incident of abuse is not the problem – it is the feeling that the trauma created (that remains in the subconscious) that is the problem. My work as a healer and therapist is incredibly fast, simple, and effective at healing the trauma of abuse (and I speak as someone who knows – I was abused as a child).
    If anyone would like to free themselves – fully and finally, of the trauma of abuse, please contact me.
    Ben

6. FBG says:

A terrible tragedy and I will send her strength. But these people hate us. I mean these were probably the same thugs dancing in the street when 9/11 happened. I am not happy for Egypt, I think that there will be dark days ahead. I have lived in the middle east for over two years and I am sorry but what they consider civilization is barbaric, repressive, and cruel. Welcome Sharia law because it is coming.

7. TamingAuthor says:

It may be time for the left wing media to rethink the manner in which they have been distorting the news, distorting coverage for ideological reasons, rather than keeping people (including themselves) truly informed.

When the media becomes the victim of their own lack of in-depth investigation and research, when they become the victim of their own air-headed fantasy worldviews, perhaps we have a moment in which to reflect on what has been taking place for the past four or five years.

This is the media that attacks the Tea Party for being somehow violent (even though there are no incidents of violence); this is the media that drums up lies and falsehoods and mean-spirited attacks on people like Sarah Palin; this is the media that believes it is okay to ridicule peace-loving Americans.

Elephant, too, has to pay more attention to its coverage. More scrutiny should be given to media that distorts and misrepresents the world rather than providing honest and well-researched information.

8. TamingAuthor says:

Worth reflecting upon: http://bigpeace.com/dwest/2011/02/19/if-a-mob-yel

If the news is not accurately reported because of ideological bias, people become uninformed and they get hurt.

9. TamingAuthor says:

Anyone read Cass Sunstein's papers? Seems like the next step. Ever wonder how you could start a revolution with social networking? Now I just have to check out Dan… :>) http://www.theblaze.com/stories/u-s-govt-software

10. […] Lara Logan on 60 Minutes, tells her sexual assault in Tahrir Square. Click here for background. […]

11. abuse help says:

Someone necessarily assist to make severely posts I would state. That is the very first time I frequented your web page and so far? I amazed with the research you made to make this particular submit amazing. Wonderful task!