24 Things.

Via on Mar 26, 2011

I want to try an experiment.. Get rid of one thing every day From April 1st until Easter Sunday April 24th. Wanna play?

Princess Of Garbage Day got a lot of comments from people.

Mostly private emails about letting go of things and making space for change and new experiences in life.

I believe that letting go of things that we identify with creates sacred space. It is in that space that we can develop the faith that we will be provided for and cherished without the aid of material things. Too often we feel we are made up of what we own or are the sum of our experiences.  When we over-identify with feelings or things we cut ourselves off to possibility.

Releasing the past with reverence and intention creates room for the new and cultivates faith in the future.

24 things.. Do it with me. Log onto 24 Things and tell me what you released, what you dream for the open space, share your inspired ideas or talk about your challenges.

I can’t wait to hear the stories!

Read Princess Of Garbage Day

Desktop/Tablet banner

About Marylee Fairbanks

Marylee Fairbanks is a columnist for Gaiam, elephant journal, My Life Yoga, and Bliss.com, Her essays explore Motherhood and yoga, but mainly focus on her experiences with her young son and the many ways he helps her grow. She is a registered yoga teacher and founder of Chakras Yoga and The 24 Things. She teaches Chakras Balancing workshops and yoga classes. Prior to having her son, she performed in Broadway musicals across the country. Marylee lives in Massachusetts with her husband, son, and dogs. Find her on her website and follow her on twitter.

Elephriends - Mindful Partners

190x1902-EJ-clothing

12 Responses to “24 Things.”

1. Marylee Fairbanks chakras yoga says:

OK I have gotten 4 emails and texts in the last ten minutes telling me that people are in but too embarrassed to admit what they are getting rid of.

You don't have to go into details!! Please! I would prefer you leave out the details (I mean you MG)

This is going to be a fun one

2. sarasvati3 says:

I love this! I'm in! (Although I don't have a whole lot left…I did a huge purge in the fall). Might I suggest giving as much as possible away to a charity rather than a yard sale? Even though so many of us have TOO MUCH there are many in the world and our own neighbourhoods who do not.

• Patricia says:

I agree…took two big sacks to the local charity shop yesterday. My challenge is not to replace what I am giving away with more "stuff"!

3. Janelle says:

I'm purging paper, the bane of my existence! Using my shredder makes it FUN for me : ) In addition, I have a bag of clothing to take to The ARC and more to go through. Out with the old but, as Patricia said, trying not to replace with more stuff!

4. Marylee Fairbanks chakras yoga says:

FIRST: ITEM OF BUSINESS
    i am collecting all catalogues from now until the 1st.. then canceling all of them.. save trees

5. [...] Marylee Fairbanks’ poignant piece about purging her life of unnecessary items. When I saw her follow up post, I also wanted to participate in getting rid of one thing a day for 24 days. But I’ve been [...]

6. [...] all dig making lists and, even more, the satisfaction of crossing items off of them. So, if the illusive [...]

7. [...] are inspired by Marylee Fairbanks and her recent post at Elephant Journal where she encourages – no, challenges! – people to give away one [...]

8. Claudia Azula Altucher Claudia says:

Great idea!. I actually released everything, and I mean that, when I was let go from my job in 2009. The whole house -house included by the way- went to the Vietnam Vets. Felt so good and so light!

9. Buy Direct says:

You really make it appear really easy with your presentation but I to find this topic to be really something which I feel I might by no means understand. It kind of feels too complicated and very wide for me. I’m taking a look forward in your subsequent put up, I’ll attempt to get the grasp of it!

10. Matt N says:

I'm in. I will also include my space at where I work.