Sleep problems are very common among children. In fact, most kids aren’t getting enough sleep at night, and when a child becomes sleep deprived, they are likely to have a hard time controlling their emotions. This can lead to potential problems at home and at school, and it can be exhausting for parents.
In 2004, The National Sleep Foundation conducted the “Sleep in America Poll,” the first nationwide survey on the sleep habits of children and their parents. The results showed that 69% of children, ages 10 and under, are not getting enough sleep.
“It is clear from the poll results that we need to focus as much on the sleeping half of children’s lives as we do on the waking half. Children are clearly not getting enough sleep,” says Jodi A. Mindell, PhD, who served as Chair of NSF’s 2004 Poll Task Force.
By incorporating yoga into the bedtime routine, kids of all ages will be stretching and twistingand breathing their way into dreamland. The goal of bedtime yoga is to help a child shift his/her minds’ focus from being preoccupied with daily stressors to focusing his/her attention to yoga postures, relaxation techniques and breath work, with the ultimate goal being a restful sleep.
The following sequence has been carefully designed and will help a children establish a bedtime routine that is proven to work:
1. Jiggle and Wiggle: Wiggling your body nice and slow will loosen you up so you’ll sleep through the night.
2. Dog-tired Down Dog: Being a dog is fun to pretend. Get onto all fours and wag your dog tail and wag your dog head before getting in bed!
3. Bedtime Bug: Being a bug on it’s back is very relaxing. With your feet in your hands, rock side to side.
4. Lemon Squeeze: Squeeze your fingers, your toes, your face and your nose. Squeeze everything nice and tight! Then let everything go so your body feels light.
5. The spaghetti Test: Lying flat on your back, have mommy or daddy wiggle your limbs to make sure they’re nice and floppy.
6. Good Night Little Body: Say good night to your body–one part of your time. Say good night to your toes and work your way up to your nose.
7. Namaste: the perfect way to end the day. With your hands at your heart, say “namaste“.
hot on elephant
The story behind the Elephant-headed God. 464 shares September’s Black Moon: The Rare, Powerful, Feminine Goddess Lilith. 76,936 shares Will & Grace are Back after 10 years & it’s the Funniest 10 minutes of Election Commentary Ever. 18,241 shares October Energy Forecast: Prepare for Limitless, Unconditional Love. 7,969 shares The Fourth Kind of Love. 2,825 shares How Open-Hearted Men can Show Up for Strong, Independent Women. 3,716 shares What Teens need from their Parents. (Hint: It’s not Grounding & Punishment.) 2,077 shares I am Who I am Thanks to You—The 5 Most Important People we Meet in Life. 2,145 shares 10 Good Reasons Not to Contact your Ex. 974 shares Nine Reasons to Love a Libra & One Secret they Keep. 1,668 share