Via elephant journal
on Mar 14, 2011
get elephant's newsletter

Update: disregard just about everything below. Click here for new info.

Homicide, Sexual Assault of two Lululemon employees: our prayers & hearts go out to victims of unnecessary, unspeakably sad tragedy.

elephant editor-in-chief Waylon Lewis’ statement: Rest in peace, dear brave open inspiring (see below) young Jayna Troxel Murray. And all of our prayers and best wishes to the other as yet unnamed victim of this heartbreaking and unnecessary tragedy. ~ ed.

Click here for some sexual assault resources. Please add any advice, resources in comments. ~ ed.

Comment from below this youtube video of Jayna:

YouTube Preview Image

“Just read about this terrible tragedy. RIP Jayna. You are in a better place now where you never have to worry about your safety again. You can go bungee jump any time you want now, may God bless your family and friends during this incredibly difficult time! Hopefully these sick individuals are caught and brought to justice.”

Pointed commentary below via Namaste Miami.

Lululemon issues Statement, Breast Photo in Wake of Sexual Assault & Homicide at Bethesda Store.

Lululemon finally issued a statement last night via Twitter, Facebook and their homepage regarding the brutal murder/sexual assault that took place Friday night in their Bethesda, Maryland location:

We are devastated by the tragic events at our Bethesda store. It is the outpouring of love that will get us through: http://bit.ly/ehMsYz

Facebook & Lululemon Homepage:
We are devastated by the tragic events at our Bethesda store. We are focused on providing support to those that are most immediately impacted by this tragedy, and we know that you all feel the loss as well. Thanks to all of you for your outreach to support our stores and the people impacted. It is the outpouring of love and concern that will get us through these tragic circumstances. In deep sadness, Christine Day

Does anyone else think it’s a little inappropriate to have a set of boobs accompanying this statement? We think a more appropriate…

…for the rest go to Namaste Miami,

About elephant journal

23 Responses to “Homicide, Sexual Assault: two Lululemon employees: please pray for victims of tragedy.”

1. nonamenoform says:

There is something very off about Lululemon in general in my opinion and this just proves it.
    It's beyond comprehension that they would issue this statement with this photo.
    They have no clue. Nor do they have much sensitivity towards women ironically the people they primarily serve.
    Their statement itself is devoid of much sensitivity.
    They strike me as a large corporate monster with a lot of motives that are not very yogic hiding behind
    a nice image, and lot of tight clothes.
    I'm a bit horrified.

2. Alice says:

I am too. Utterly shocked~makes me not want to support them ever again. .

3. DRL says:

I lived in the neighborhood where the first Lululemon opened. It is a trendy, commercial area and in my mind, there is nothing truly spiritual about this company at all. It has merely turned yoga into something you can buy, something you can wear, and something that gives you a tight butt. This press statement merely confirms everything I have always felt and makes me happy that I found other sources of yogawear that do seem to come from a much more authentic source. It is a terribly sad incident marred by corporate ickiness.

4. magda says:

^ my apologies for missed letters in "this" and "heart".

5. Laura says:

I have a friend that worked at Lululemon and only had good thing to say abou his experience. They are a progressive corporation and pay for any and all athletics and yoga instruction for their employees. I for one do not find the photo offensive. It's a woman in yoga clothes. Stop hating on Lululemon. Go do some yoga or volunteer at a woman's shelter.

6. I agree with you Laura. The picture is just of a woman in yoga clothes. I know everyone at Lululemon is heartborken over this and that is the only issue here. The senseless attack and murder. Stop trying to make something else out of this. You are all looking for something that is not there. Rest in Peace Jayna and love and light to her co-worker with her recovery.

7. Ana says:

It's ludicrous that you would look at a photo like this and immediately think "breasts!" Are you a horny pre-adolescent boy? The photo's obviously meant to evoke a sense of peace and tranquility, and there's nothing inappropriate or offensive about it. To turn this horrific tragedy into an opportunity to grandstand against "corporate ickiness" is shameful. (I also find it interesting that you mention your preference for more "authentic" yogawear. What exactly makes one brand of yogawear more "authentic"? Does the fact that someone's making a profit mean the company is somehow "inauthentic"?) I've had nothing but wonderful experiences with truly love, genuine people every time I've been in a lululemon. An employee is murdered and her co-worker assaulted and you're calling lululemon the "monster"? Your sensibilities are severely out of whack. How about some compassion for a company that is no doubt reeling and traumatized by this incident.

8. elephantjournal says:

I personally, frankly, don't see much wrong the the photo. Perhaps it could have been chosen more carefully, but the mudra of anjali or "namaste" is perfect generally for this occasion. I was alerted to this sad tragedy by the good folks at Namaste Miami, and initially expected to be more turned off by the use of said photo. I wasn't–which is why I topped their statement, and their perception is obviously echoed by others and valid in its own right–with a statement of heartbreak and compassion on behalf of elephant's readership.

I think it's safe to say that what's important here is to do all we can do reduce crime and its causes, and to join in prayer for the innocent victims of this unspeakably wrong and unnecessary crime. ~ Waylon, elephant editor.

9. […] We sadly reported on the murder and sexual assault of two Lululemon yoga apparel employees at a Lulu store in… […]

10. Roger Wolsey says:

seems it was an inside job and that there were no masked gunmen and no sexual assaults. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42160411/ns/us_news-c

11. […] first lie came immediately after the assault. Someone must have know that something wasn’t right when I came out of that room…they […]